Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ann Coulter criticized for comments on 9/11 widows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ann Coulter criticized for comments on 9/11 widows
    Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 17:16
Though I hate Ann Coulter's political opinions on basically everything Im going to take the unpopular and suprising chance to defend her just this once.  Why? Cause I happen to agree with her ...sort of.

First of all, no matter now nutso someone is, it takes balls to say something like that in public.  Sure shes just an attention whore, but in this nation of punditocracy who isnt?  And her point is valid in this one instance...a random event happened to people because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and because of this we elevate them to the status of saints.  Sure as usual Coulter is taking a position so extreme its farcical, but the overal theme that we should be able to criticize victims of tragedy is completely right on.

However to imply that they enjoyed their husbands deaths and that they should shut up and take the money is where Coulter deserves to be torturted and executed.  But lets not let that affect our judgement that we should be able to mock people society holds up for nop apparent reason.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 17:30
Originally posted by Tobodai

Though I hate Ann Coulter's political opinions on basically everything Im going to take the unpopular and suprising chance to defend her just this once.  Why? Cause I happen to agree with her ...sort of.

First of all, no matter now nutso someone is, it takes balls to say something like that in public.  Sure shes just an attention whore, but in this nation of punditocracy who isnt?  And her point is valid in this one instance...a random event happened to people because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and because of this we elevate them to the status of saints.  Sure as usual Coulter is taking a position so extreme its farcical, but the overal theme that we should be able to criticize victims of tragedy is completely right on.

However to imply that they enjoyed their husbands deaths and that they should shut up and take the money is where Coulter deserves to be torturted and executed.  But lets not let that affect our judgement that we should be able to mock people society holds up for nop apparent reason.

I believe our political leanings probably differ in almost every respect. However, I believe that I agree with everything you just said (at least the fundamental assertions; i could never condone the violence). A good day for rarities, is it not? Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 10-Jun-2006 at 17:31
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 17:52
I REALLY want to read her new book..."Godless: The Church of Liberalism" LOL

She's also notorious for having faulty information in her books. i remember reading an Al Franken book where he went thru and with the use of credible evidence, disproved alot of the information and facts that she was claiming.

Even though, i'm not a liberal, from her perspective, I'm probabaly a yellow-bellied communist LOL

I'm curious as to what she has to say in her new book

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 17:52

She is just sayng what every neo-con is thinking.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:05
Originally posted by flyingzone

It is even more ridiculous to call Dean's speech "hate speech."

Not at all. He belongs in the same category. By the way, when the guy uses the word "hate" in reference to Republicans, and later has to come back and qualify it by saying that he wasn't really referring to Republicans, but rather to what they stand for, how can you possibly qualify the first statement as anything other than hate speech?

You guys are trying to make me look biased, but it is actually biased opinions/statements, however subtly they are phrased, that I am actually having a problem with. Akolouthos tried to make his statement appear fair by including Falwell's name on his list. But does anyone not see the problem with him putting Howard Dean in the same category as Moore, Cloutier, and Falwell who make outrageously stupid and offensive statements?

Regarding bias, I believe that we all possess our own form/forms of it to varying degrees. I did not include Falwell to "try to make my statement appear fair;" I included him because he is an example of exactly the hateful attitude we do not need. As I said, the list could go on and on. If making "outrageously stupid and offensive statements" is requisite for admission to the increasingly inclusive ategory of those who endorse hate speech then yes, Dean deserves to be on it.

And as for fairness, if you can't recognize Dean, who explicitly stated, "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for," as being in the same hate-speech category as Coulter, I fear I am not the one who needs to defend his objectivity. Overcoming our biases requires examining those with whom we tend to agree as well as those with whom we strongly disagree.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 10-Jun-2006 at 18:16
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:23
i took a brief look at her website. She seems to be one of the only pundits who seems to take pride in not being opposed to Joseph McCarthy

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:27

LOL

This is precisely the problem with the polemical nature of our society today. People define themselves by what they are opposed to instead of by what they actually believe. Thus, people are led into progressively more extreme positions simply because those they dislike believe in something antithetical to those positions. Example? That picture you posted.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 10-Jun-2006 at 18:28
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Illuminati

i took a brief look at her website. She seems to be one of the only pundits who seems to take pride in not being opposed to Joseph McCarthy

SEE!  Told ya!  LOLLOLLOL

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:20
     Its funny, she's saying how no one is able to critisize the widows, while she's been appearing on show after show doing just that...critisizing them. She's even made a living critisizing them (basically it disproves her own point). I think we should be able to critisize anyone as long as our claims make sense (so I guess I agree with her on that).

On a show the host told her "I don't think they've ever told you that you can't respond" (referring to the widows). She immediately said, "Look I think you're getting testy with me!". That about sums up her whole argument.

She said nastier things about the widows...like about how we don't even know if their husbands weren't really thinking about divorcing them, and how their shelf-life is shorter so they should probably appear in Playboy while they still can. As if that somehow validates what she's trying to say...

If I wanted sh*t from Ann Coulter, I'd squeeze her head instead of wasting my time reading it in her books.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:30
Originally posted by Tobodai

I agree that the 9/11 widows are elevated to a not-deserved status. Still, as you said, what she has written is just horrible in itself.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:33
Originally posted by Akolouthos

It is even more ridiculous to call Dean's speech "hate speech."

Not at all. He belongs in the same category. By the way, when the guy uses the word "hate" in reference to Republicans, and later has to come back and qualify it by saying that he wasn't really referring to Republicans, but rather to what they stand for, how can you possibly qualify the first statement as anything other than hate speech?

I have to agree with flyingzone on this one. Dean was just saying that he does not like what the Republican party stands for. What is so wrong about that? He did not say "I want to blow up every Republican" or "We should kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" or some ridiculously hateful phrase.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:39
No, he just said he hated them. Once again, the use of the word "hate" is not something I will condone, no matter who says it, in what context it was said, or to whom it applies. I think that alone classifies it as hate speech. Thus, I believe him to be as irresponsible and polarizing as Coulter and vice versa.

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:47
Please, "hate" is used as a synonym to "dislike". Speech with the word "hate" in it is not always defined as hate speech. I know, it sounds wierd, but if I would say "I hate him", that is not hate speech. If I would say "I want to blow him up with a bazooka" that is hate speech. "Hate speech is a controversial term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a group of people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability"
- Wikipedia
As I have said, hate speech really has nothing to do with using the word hate, but actually showing violence or prejudice.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:54

I agree, and perhaps I have been led away from my initial point. I would say that there is virtually no difference (except, perhaps as a matter of infintesimal degree one way or the other) between Howard Dean's "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for," speech and Ann Coulter's attack on a group of grieving widows. Both demonstrate prejudice. If one is hate speech, the other is as well, and vice-versa. I choose to condemn both of them, as well as all of the other vitriol that our politicians are so fond of throwing at each other.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 10-Jun-2006 at 22:55
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:57
I still see a difference. Howard Dean was saying that he does not like what the Republicans stand for, while Ann Coulter was viciously attacking a group of widows. Let's not forget here, Ann Coulter is some crazy extremist author, while Howard Dean is a politician. 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:01
Howard Dean in the same category? As irresponsible and polarizing as coulter?    A few Favs from Miz Coulter-

On academics: In addition to racist and Nazi, how about adding traitor to the list of things that professors cant be? And yes, I realize I just proposed firing the entire Harvard faculty.
(Speech at Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), 2/18/2005)

On McCarthyism: Liberals like to scream and howl about McCarthyism, I say lets give them some.its time for a new McCarthyism.
(Speech at CPAC, 2/18/2005)

On President Clinton: "Well, he was a very good rapist. I think that should not be forgotten."
(New York Observer, 1/10/05)

On Voting: It would be a much better country if women did not vote.
(The Guardian, 5/17/2003)

On the Press: My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building.
(New York Observer, 8/26/2002)

On the Environment: God says, Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. Its yours.
(Fox News, 12/22/2001)

On Campus Progressives: When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors.
(remarks from Conservative Political Action Conference, 2/26/2002)

If using the word hate is the criteria, then I'm in trouble. I hate thinly disguised rationalization and camouflaged apologists.
This woman is diametrically opposed to everything I believe in, and stands for  almost everything that is polarizing and dividing the US today. She is an extremist of the worst order! 

Edited by red clay - 10-Jun-2006 at 23:06
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I still see a difference. Howard Dean was saying that he does not like what the Republicans stand for, while Ann Coulter was viciously attacking a group of widows. Let's not forget here, Ann Coulter is some crazy extremist author, while Howard Dean is a politician. 

A crazy extremist politician by some people's standards (I tend not to hold this view myself, though I disagree with him on a whole host of issues). By the way, I completely agree with you regarding Coulter; I have never been fond of her particular style myself.

If he meant he hated what they stand for, he should have said that initially instead of clarifying his remarks when they drew criticism. Can you at least acknowledge that it was terribly irresponsible? If we are to try to dispose of bitter polemics in public dialogue, we have to criticize all of them, and not just those with which we disagree.

-Akolouthos
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:06
Sorry red clay, I haven't the time to go searching for all of the ridiculous things said by any individual politician (well I suppose there might be several responsible ones). I believe you are aware that we could fill a separate thread of many pages going back and forth, which would be as fruitless as it would be wasteful.

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:08
What Dean meant to say was not terribly wrong, but the way he said it was completely irresponsible. He could have said it in a way better way. I do not consider him an extremist(some of the things he says are spot on). However, he has had one bad remark, compared to the thousands of Ann Coulter. Not exactly the same category.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:16
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

What Dean meant to say was not terribly wrong, but the way he said it was completely irresponsible. He could have said it in a way better way. I do not consider him an extremist(some of the things he says are spot on). However, he has had one bad remark, compared to the thousands of Ann Coulter. Not exactly the same category.

That is, I feel, a bit closer to how I would analyze the situation. I think the key difference is the degree to which they differ; I tend to view it as a non-issue. I don't think he is an extremist either, and I agree that Coulter is. The point I was making with my initial post was that they fit into the same category when it comes to some of the remarks they made. I feel some of the things both Coulter and Dean say are spot on, while a good deal of them are not. Still, the issue is not whether or not they are correct, the issue is their phrasing.

-Akolouthos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>