Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what would have happened had the magyars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what would have happened had the magyars
    Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 16:22
if they had been converted to buddism when they where roaming the steppes around the aral sea in the 700's by indian/sogdian/khotanese monks. do any of you think they would have retained buddism after they had established themselves on the pannonian plain?
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 12:42
magyars did not roam around the Aral sea...
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 18:42
The Magyars are closely related to the Finns, Estonians, and smaller groups like the Karelians and Samoyedes.  Therefore we believe they were living in the Taiga, the great forest of northern Russia and Siberia, before they started migrating.  The closest they ever got to a Buddhist country in their travels was in the ninth century, when they were in Ukraine.  That isn't close enough to Central Asia, and it was also too late, as Central Asia had already converted to Islam by then.  What's more, the Khazars would have been between the Magyars and the Aral Sea, so if the Magyars had decided at that point that they needed a modern religion, they probably would have chosen Judaism.

There was a Buddhist tribe that migrated into Europe, the Kalmucks (also called the Oirat).  They settled on the west shore of the Caspian, between the mouth of the Volga and the Caucasus mts, and are still there today.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they arrived around 1600.  As for how they got there, well, that's another story.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 13:26
well, soem kalmucks returned home to central asia at some point, those that stayed were after ww2 accused of co-operation with the germans (wrongly) by stalin and deported to siberia.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:20
The Kalmyks were allowed to return to the west shore of the Caspian in I believe it was 1957.  Today they have their own republic within the Russian Federation.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 05:59
Well not wrongly, some kalmyks did cooperate and they did go to west when the german troops pulled out. They settled from Yugoslavia to New Jersey in the following decades.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 12:46
are you sure? do you have sources?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 14:29
Yes, there is quite number of Kalmyks live in NJ and MD.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 05:59

Originally posted by Temujin

are you sure? do you have sources?

well I'm sure that there's been some cavalry division or something that consisted of mostly kalmyks that the germans organized. The deeds of those kalmyks are extremely obscured. You could look into some german WW2 sources.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 11:40
well, that's why I'm asking, accordign to what I know there hasn't been any cooperation of any sorts. I know about Cossack regiments and volunteers from Turkmenistan in the Wehrmacht but never heard of Kalmyks. and as far as I know Germans never reached the homeland of the Kalmyks after all.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 11:57
ahh ok, let me try to find some sources then.
 Post Reply Post Reply