Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anatolian Leopard (Panthera Pardus Tulliana): Larg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anatolian Leopard (Panthera Pardus Tulliana): Larg
    Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 07:47

Its original habitat was the mountains and forests of the Aegean and Mediterranean Regions of Anatolia, where it no longer exists. It was thought to be extinct when a surviving species was photographed in 2003 at the Kakar Mountains in the Black Sea Region where a small population of around 10-15 is believed to still survive (the mountains of the Black Sea Region are still wild and not destroyed by humans.)

If one of them can be found alive, it will be cloned under a preservation program.

Here's the last one which was captured and killed in 1974 after attacking a woman in a village of the Aegean Region:
http://www.ergir.com/last_anatolian_panther.htm
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 07:56
I didn't know that there were panters in Turkey. I only thought bears, wolves and wild boars. Are there any other carnivores in Turkey
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 12:28
There were also tigers in the Taurus mountains, from Lycia to upper Mesopotamia. That's why Adana SK was referred as "the tigers of Taurus" once.....Smile
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 13:51
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

There were also tigers in the Taurus mountains, from Lycia to upper Mesopotamia. That's why Adana SK was referred as "the tigers of Taurus" once.....Smile

Curious, the greeks was very surprised about the lions with lines from India.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 13:59
Originally posted by Ikki

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Curious, the greeks was very surprised about the lions with lines from India.

But those are very ancient...During the Hittite era, when Anatolia was covered with forests, there used to be many of those lions,tigers etc..
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 16:53
aa OK, i thought that these animals was living there until recent times.
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 11:01
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Battle_Hymn View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Battle_Hymn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 19:30
Hmmm u dudes didnt watch CNNTURK 2-3 days ago i think ^^

They gonna cover Anatolian Panters too :)

This nation has never lived without independence. We cannot and shall not live without it. Either independence or death.
Ataturk

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 19:49
Please my Turkish brothers,do what you can to save the last Anatolian Leopards,they are a treasure that Turkey cannot afford to loose!
Salam!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 07:28
tigers in anadolia? hm

the furthest west i know tigers ranged,  is the (maybe extinct or definatly close to it ) caspian tiger but ive never heard of it in anadolia.

Can you provide soureces or links to prove that. There where loins in greece once upon a time, but tigers that far west... it would take more than a heresay for me.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 12:36
I have also heard that there were tigers in Anatolia, before the area was inhabited by many humans
 Post Reply Post Reply