Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK Police in hunt for "dirty" bomb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Police in hunt for "dirty" bomb
    Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 18:21

Reports: U.K. police hunt for dirty bomb

Major raid fails to unearth chemical device believed to exist, papers say

Updated: 11:29 a.m. MT June 3, 2006

LONDON - British anti-terrorist police are hunting for a dirty chemical bomb that could be used in an attack in Britain after a major raid failed to uncover a device they believe exists, newspapers reported on Saturday.

More than 250 officers, some wearing chemical, biological and radiological protection suits, shot one man and arrested another during a dawn raid on an east London house on Friday.

Police made no official comment on the reports but said nothing suspicious had been found in an initial search of the property. They had also reassured the public in the surrounding area there was nothing to suggest they were at risk.

The operation, one of the biggest since last Julys suicide bombings in the capital, was prompted by suspicions that the house could have been used for making bombs or chemical weapons.

Because of the very specific nature of the intelligence, we planned an operation that was designed to mitigate any threat to the public either from firearms or from hazardous substances, said Peter Clarke, head of the UKs anti-terrorism branch.

Some newspapers, citing unnamed security sources, said police believed suspected militants had made a dirty chemical device -- a conventional bomb surrounded by toxic material that could be set off by a bomber wearing a suicide jacket.

We are absolutely certain this device exists and could be used either by a suicide bomber or in a remote-controlled explosion, one source told the Sun newspaper.

Threat of imminent attack
Newspapers quoted security chiefs who they said believed an attack was imminent, with possible targets including the underground train network or pubs crowded with fans watching the soccer World Cup tournament which starts next week.

Were 100 percent certain that an attack was being planned. If we havent stopped it, it could take place very soon, the Daily Mirror quoted a police source as saying.

The cordon thrown around the house was also much smaller than that used to guard a property used as a bomb-making factory by four British Islamists who carried out last Julys attacks on Londons transport system which killed 52 commuters.

Detectives said the latest operation was not linked to those attacks on three underground trains and a bus although the country has been on high alert since then.

London police Commissioner Ian Blair, Britains top officer, has said three terrorism plots have been thwarted since the July bombings and groups were planning further attacks.

The 23-year-old man, shot at the house during the raid is now recovering in hospital. His injury is not said to be life-threatening and he has been arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.

A second man was also arrested at the house under the Terrorism Act.

Neighbors said the family who lived at the house were Bangladeshi, describing them as friendly and very religious.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13093787/

World Cup to conicide with terrorist attacks?

Edited by Illuminati - 03-Jun-2006 at 18:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 03:14
Decebal i think you should take note of this, integration at its finest.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 03:53
Let me get that straight!
The Security agencies believed there were chemical weapons being built by some Middle-eastern guys, they invaded the suspects' houses, shot one person, and found.................................nothing?
What does this remind you of?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 05:14
They based their raid on a "specific" report from an informant. 

so now if you are south asian or arab and someone says specifically that you are planning terror attacks your house gets raided and torn apart and you get shot.  Very nice.

Machine - I AM INTEGRATION AT ITS FINEST.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 06:20
Originally posted by Zagros

so now if you are south asian or arab and someone says specifically that you are planning terror attacks your house gets raided and torn apart and you get shot.  Very nice.

Now why didn't I think of that?! It would have helped me take a few people outWink
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 07:18
reminds me of the 'smoking gun'. But we should wait and see.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 07:36
Umm..lets be fair, in Britian one of the causes of Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism are communities or persons having trouble integrating themselves into British culture. Hence South Asians and people from the Middle East are the most likely suspects. So calm it Zagros. If you are searching for Islamic terrorists then people from Islamic cultures, in particular extreme ones, are an obvious choice.

They didnt tear apart the house- they smashed the door and searched it. Same thing happens to other criminals- no matter what their race.

And the man was shot by a Marksman and he was shot in the shoulder. Hence there was almost certainly a reason the marksman fired- like the man trying to escape.

As for integration- wow, two possible unintegrated people out of how many immigrants?

And "Specific" information- what else will they be raiding the place on- because the Teletubbies said so? I dotn think so- they got an intelligence report, they checked it out- as they should do, thats responsibility, and they seem to have found two criminals.

This stuff happens all the time in many, many countries- hell its just normal police procedure, so dont blow it out of proportion please.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 07:39
Originally posted by Zagros

They based their raid on a "specific" report from an informant. 

Machine - I AM INTEGRATION AT ITS FINEST.

If you are acting suspicious it is the publics right to report you, no different to drug dealers. Reports on bombs arent something to be taken lightly Zagros.

Yes you may have integrated pretty well, some havent. In Sydney every once in a while you hear on the news about Muslims selling anti Australian material.  
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:22
Originally posted by Dampier

Umm..lets be fair, in Britian one of the causes of Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism are communities or persons having trouble integrating themselves into British culture. Hence South Asians and people from the Middle East are the most likely suspects. So calm it Zagros. If you are searching for Islamic terrorists then people from Islamic cultures, in particular extreme ones, are an obvious choice.

Let's be fair, not one terrorist to date in the UK has been Indian (post-independance). So do not refer to them as South Asians, because there are nations whose descendants in the country play no part in this.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:25
Also, no Iranians have ever been indicted for terrorism except the MKo which is fully supported by the West.

There is nothing to suggest that these brothers were acting suspiciously, the raid was based on a specific tip-off from an informant - it could have been someone with a grudge for all we know. 

And I am sick of people telling me to calm down when I am god damned calm - people telling me to calm down is what unnerves me. Angry

Can't I make any sort of statement without someone breathing down my neck!?

Edited by Zagros - 04-Jun-2006 at 08:28
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:11
Just calm down Zagros, now that u are unnerved.LOL

i think rather than speculating we should just wait a day or two.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:33
Angry
Don't MOCK me!!! I will be passing through London tomorrow, don't think I won't pay you a visit, Malizai_!!!!

LOL Just kidding, I was only kidding above to, my humour is always mizundaztood... Maybe I should work ont he execution. 

Anyway, getting back on topic, you are absolutely right, making blanket statements without any solid facts at this time is asinine.

Edited by Zagros - 04-Jun-2006 at 09:33
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 13:07
Originally posted by machine

Muslims selling antiAustralian material.

I'm puzzled, what can anti-australian material be?
Rifles to hunt kangooroos?
I am a free donkey!
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 17:20
no on here knows if the source was credible or not. Remember, police often don't tell the media what evidence they had or who their source was becuase it can jeopardize the investigation if the terrorists find out that information. Police withhold information from the public all the time when it comes to on-going investigations
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 17:45
true dat
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 00:25
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Originally posted by machine

Muslims selling anti Australian material.  

I'm puzzled, what can anti-australian material be?
Rifles to hunt kangooroos?

lol naaa not rifles to Kangaroos.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 07:47
@Anujkhamar, I used Southern Asians more as a representative of possible non integration (I live in Hounslow). Just me explaining badly. Also S. Asians does include the possiblity for Pakistani Islamic terrorism. As you said Indian terrorism hasnt happened post independance.
@Zagros, well you were using Caps Lock (which I believe means shouting right Wink). All I'm saying is that Iran is an Islamic state with a fundamentalist leader and is a known supporter of Islamic terrorism/insurgency. Hence even if they havent been caught or tried anything in Britain the Police here have to be on the lookout. It's their job. Sorry if I seemed too agressive I just didnt like your insinuation that British police were trigger happy racists (obviously what you said was a milder version but for times sake...). As for the information- any tip could be a grudge, thats life. You think I cant phone up and try and get my neighbour Sectioned for mental illness or play a prank call to the police. I can. Thing is when they have information like this they try to make sure it's the real deal and as good as possible. And if they didnt act on a tip off (well information) and they were terrorists  planning somehting and that attack happened well the police would look like prats.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 13:55

The two brothers, arrested by the police at the raid, have been released yesterday, without any charge what so ever.

There have been protest marches against the police's heavy handed operation in London today.

No chemical weapons found again. They are just not looking at the right places. If they would have a little peek around in the  Deseret Chemical Depot in Utah , there might a be change to find something.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 17:25
Full story (BBC) is;

Muslims protest over terror raid
Muslims are protesting outside Scotland Yard
Muslims are protesting outside Scotland Yard
Muslims have protested outside Scotland Yard against the tactics used by police in an anti-terror raid in east London.

Brothers Abul Koyair, 20, and Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 23, who was shot in the shoulder, were released without charge a week after the raid in Forest Gate.

In a statement read to the protesters, their sister said their family had been through hell during the past week.

The police have defended the raid and the Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating the case.

About 300 people gathered for the protest - against "heavy-handed police tactics" - outside the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police in central London.

The Muslim Association of Britain and the Islamic Human Rights Commission were among Muslim groups represented.

The brothers, who had been held under the Terrorism Act 2000, were released on Friday after police found no trace of an alleged chemical device at their home.

The pair had denied allegations of involvement in terrorism.

They were arrested on 2 June after a raid by some 250 officers - some armed and some wearing chemical suits - on a terraced house in Lansdown Road.

They are still recovering from their injuries - both physically as well as mentally
Humeya Kalam

Their sister Humeya Kalam issued a statement on their behalf which was read aloud to demonstrators.

In it she said: "My brothers would like to have come today, to show unity.

"However they are unable to do so because they are still recovering from their injuries - both physically as well as mentally."

The family was "very relieved to have them back after the hell we went through last week", Ms Kalam added.

And she thanked "all those who supported us through this dramatic ordeal".

Ms Kalam also told demonstrators she hoped their protest would "highlight the fact no other innocent family should be forced to go through the same nightmare".

There is a huge amount of fear and anxiety now in the community
Islamic Human Rights Commission chairman Massoud Shajareh

Islamic Human Rights Commission chairman Massoud Shajareh told BBC News: "Either they were shot because they were Muslim or perceived to be Muslim.

"The papers were talking about [how] they became very Islamic in the last few years, as if that is automatically connected to terrorist activity.

"There is a huge amount of fear and anxiety now in the community.

"People are feeling they are going to be next."

We can only defeat terrorism if all communities are working together
Home Office Minister Tony McNulty

But Home Office Minister Tony McNulty warned against jumping to "what can only be speculative conclusions at this stage".

"We do need to fully understand exactly what went on, why it went on, what the problem with the intelligence was," he told BBC News.

"We can only defeat terrorism if all communities are working together.

"And the police work in hazardous and very often unsafe conditions in the interests of all those communities."

Compensation claims

Meanwhile solicitor Gareth Peirce, who is acting for the family, said the brothers are considering legal action for damages against the Met.

"Of course it is more than likely that they will claim for compensation, that is a natural consequence," she said.

"It is how society orders itself when one person has done wrong."

According to reports in the Sunday Times and the Sunday Telegraph the brothers could claim up to 500,000 in compensation for Mr Kahar's injuries and for libel damages.

Mark Stephens, a human rights and media lawyer at Finers, Stephens and Innocent, said Mr Kahar could receive 30,000 compensation for being shot.

The brothers could also claim well over 100,000 each for libel damages and compensation to pay for repairs to their home, he added.

------------------------

Massoud Shajareh is a prat. Seriously thats BS. I mean they were shot because they might have been terrorists not because they were Islamic, otherwise the police would be shooting them all the time. Thats liek an IRA suspect saying he was shot because he was Irish...
Hmm, I'm wondering what went wrong in the intelligence department.

Edited by Dampier - 11-Jun-2006 at 17:26
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 17:32
I have this theory, someone purposfully gave false info just to get people fired up, like they are now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>