Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most powerful country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most powerful country
    Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 14:10
Many of the american greatest science achievments were made by foreigners.For example Nicola Tesla and Werner Von Braun.Von Braun and other gemran scientists found the bases of US space program and created most of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 22:50

Jesus! It seem I am defending U.S. people.Big smile

However, I dissagre with the idea U.S. own its achievements to foreigners. Believing so is forgetting some of the following fellows: Benjamin Franklin, Thomas A. Edison, The Wright brothers, Robert Goddar, Howard Aitken, Grace Hooper, and I could continue with an endless list of revolutionary scientists and inventors.

Just think in Rutan and his Spaceship one

Captive Carry With Starship

Pinguin

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 19:11
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Agree there was an invasion, but alexander was frustrated & sent back to his homeland. Please make another correction in Alexander just attacked a tiny city state 60 miles across ruled by a very unpopular king against whom the other Indian kings were supporting Alexander.

That's not the way history usually explain things. It is supposed Alexander's soldiers were so tired of conquering peoples they just decided it was enough and should stop.

The Greek army could not even dare to get into India heartland & had to return, in which they were again marauded by the border tribes & a great part of them had to go back by the sea in fear of more attacks from these tibes.

They actually managed to form a kingdom in North West India, from where they influenced the future development of the subcontinent. Have you heared about the Greek-Buddist style of art, for example?

This is again untrue, Look at the records, they were an even match. And further Alex attacked in the night, And Indian's as a religious tradition did not fight in the night, So he got the advantage of surprise.
Moreover he was supported by Indian  kings also

Greeks always tricked their enemies.  

Getting into ifs & buts doesn't serve any purpose. The Fact is that the Romans were imperialists & expansionists, they would never have left a chance to conquer somebody if they felt they could. This is common with all imperialists & expansionists. The fact that they didn't is enough evidence that they could not have done so.

Romans were stopped by the Partians, not the Indians. They were stopped by the same peoples Alexander defeated so easily.

My dear friend military capability is not just fighting with the sword & the shield, it includes logistics also. Do you expect a nation to provide the logistical capability to a distant power to invade itself ? If the didn't have the capability, it was their problem, their military weakness.

Yes, but at the times of the Romans there were not aircraft carriers! LOL

Did I ever say that the Romans were weak. I like the romans a lot. The discussion started with your hypothesis that the Romans & the US controlled the whole world. The truth is neither of the two do.

Well, the U.S. is close to that goal. See the TV. I beat you see more MTV than Bolliwood movies.

with the most advanced tech,

Wish Good luck to that too.

Actually, that's easy to prove. Just take a book of Vitruvious or any of the engineers of Roman times and you will find out they were ahead of their times. A lot more advanced than any other people in the world.

If you pick the astronomical and mathematical works or Aryabatha or Bashkara you will find, at once, that Greek mathematics is at the background of those guys, too.

at least during the period of glory.

For me it still is glorious. Rome may not have been capable of conquering India in the past by fighting with it, but it has succeeded in ruling, controlling, conquering India today with LOVE.

If your knowledge about history  is good, please guess what I am hinting at ?

Well, I believe you were a lucky people not being conquered by Romans. After all, even with all its technology and civilization, Romans has been one of the more cruel and inhuman peoples that ever existed. Just remember the Coliseum.

Pinguin

ClapClapClap

Furthermore, do you have any idea about the logistical problems for an army operating so far from home? Logistics, I believe, was the tru reason that spared India from a more organized attack.

Battles and wars are won by the side that applies the latest military inovations. Alexander's army was the best, deadliest fighting machine of its time in terms of equipment and tactics. If you pitted Alexander's 35.000 Macrdonian-based army on an open plain against 70.000 Indian troops with 500 elephants, I have do doubt of the result.

Edited by konstantinius - 07-Oct-2006 at 19:11
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 23:11
I no doubt either: the Macedonians would have won!

Yes, look at the Persians that tried to invade Greece, stopped by a bunch of Spartans. Orientals of those times simply didn't have the technology or the will to stop the western fighting machine of the Greeks.

Pinguin.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 23:36
Originally posted by Mudfahedrin

Here are my oppinions about the most powerfull country in the year XXXX:

With the "the most powerful country in XXX" I mean, that these country was able to defeat every other country in an duel(without interference of a 3rd country) in that time:
USA 1979-?(the CCCP had economial problems and war in Afghanistan)
CCCP 1962-1979(CCCP had Nuke and rockets in Cuba)
USA 1945-1962(USA had Nuke and best economy)
CCCP 1943-1945(CCCP won the east-front and had a huge army)
Third Reich 1938-1943(2nd largest Industry, well technology and tactic)
USA 1918-1938( well economy and biggest winner of WW 1)
Germany 1912-1918(2nd largest Industry, well military and weapons)
Great Britain 1815-1912(largest economy, best fleet and a big Empire)
Frace 1588-1815(big army, Lous XIV...Napoleon)
Spain 1571-1588(biggest empire and much silber best fleet)
Ottoman 1453-1571( they had byzanz, a large army...)
Ming China 1368-1453(big population, large economy, big army...)
Mongolic Empire 1206-1368(founding to downfall)

Topic too broad.  "Most powerful country of all time"?  You have to narrow that down somewhat.  "Most powerful country during a specific period and/or hemisphere" would be a step in the right direction.

Scheich View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Scheich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:34

This list is perfect!

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 00:56
True.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Longshanks View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Longshanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 15:53
The Roman Empire may have been large for its time but the largest ever empire was the British which spanned all over the globe. You must remember that before America it was Great Britain that ruled!! 

The british help make the world what it is today with Britain being the first country to industrialise. 

Smile 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 19:16
And what about Portugal and Spanish Empires?

Long time before Britain started its colonization, Portugal has colonies in Africa (Mozanbique, Angola), India (Goa), Indonesia and China (Macao), besides Brazil in the Americas. Spain has colonies in North Africa, Ecuatorial Guinea (Africa), the Phillipines, and the Americas.

So, the first global empires were from Iberian countries, not Britain.

Finally, the Inca Empire was bigger than the Roman Empire

Regards,

Pinguin

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 01:10
Originally posted by Longshanks

You must remember that before America it was Great Britain that ruled!! 

Britain didn't have the capacity to strike in different parts of the world as the French, the Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese eetc... would have been too much. US has allies at most places. Britain didn't. They just influenced the part they ruled not the world.

The british help make the world what it is today

which is a big mess, thanks to the cultural insensitivity of the Brits.

with Britain being the first country to industrialise.

unfortunately true.

Smile 
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 19:06
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

which is a big mess, thanks to the cultural insensitivity of the Brits.

Would you like to elaborate to why you think the world is in such a mess compared to the past and the reasons why this is Great Britains faul?

The fact remains that there has not been a major war in the last 60+ years and I dont see one on the horizon.
the first thing to mention is that all commonwealth countries are not in a state of famine, dieses or constant war. And most of them are flushing quite nicely.
As far as British inventions go we invented
To name a few of the major ones
The computer
The internet
The seatbelt
The difference engine
The electrical generator
The jet engine
The clock work radio
Baking powder
The television
The over head valve
The full lists are hear
British Inventions

My opinions on some peoples ideas that American culture I awful, I totally disagree American culture is based around enjoyment for example films holidays and basically enjoying your time away from work. its the same over hear in Britain.

Edited by ozzy2k6 - 16-Oct-2006 at 19:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 20:56
Yes, the Brits invented lots of things. You forgot Calculus, the mathematical tool invented by Sir Isaac Newton.

Ah... I forgot. Brits also invented drug traffic, forcing Chineses to become adicted to opium, and punishing them when they complained (Opium war)

Well, I guess the current state of the world is not British fault, but you have to accept Britain contributed both for the better and for the worst.

See all those islands in the Caribbean plenty of Black peoples that Brits populated with slaves by force. See how Britain changed the demographics of the world, killing here, bringing from there, settling over there.

Yes. Britain was a great Empire and produced lots of changes, some possitives but some very negative, indeed.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 16-Oct-2006 at 20:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 15:12

Yes, the Brits invented lots of things. You forgot Calculus, the mathematical tool invented by Sir Isaac Newton.
Ah... I forgot. Brits also invented drug traffic, forcing Chineses to become adicted to opium, and punishing them when they complained (Opium war)
Well, I guess the current state of the world is not British fault, but you have to accept Britain contributed both for the better and for the worst.

Agreed Britain is not whiter than white but neither Is any other country

See all those islands in the Caribbean plenty of Black peoples that Brits populated with slaves by force. See how Britain changed the demographics of the world, killing here, bringing from there, settling over there.

You seem to however have overlooked the fact that Britain didnt invent the slave trade and that the world was a very different a few centuries ago
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 16:19
Originally posted by ozzy2k6

Agreed Britain is not whiter than white but neither Is any other country

You seem to however have overlooked the fact that Britain didnt invent the slave trade and that the world was a very different a few centuries ago

I agree in both point. Britain is not worst or better than any other country. Most have possitive and negative things in the past. That was my point, anyways, that there are not better peoples but just circumstancies.

With regards to the slave trade you are also correct. Most ancient civilization had slavery in place (including Aztecs, for example). It was the Muslims though, which started the international slave trade, in a very large scale, of Subsaharan Africans. And it were the Portugueses which spread the trade to the European powers. All share the shame, included the African kingdoms that captured the slaves in the first place, like Ghana (which has recognized it)

And I also agree that the mentality has changed quite a lot. It cost mankind a lot of suffering to learn, though, World Wars included. It's a pitty but let's hope people of the future will be better.

Pinguin

galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by Scheich

Was Ming China able to defeat Japan?

yes ,ming china was able to defeat japan in 1598 .
Scheich View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Scheich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 12:17
Ok, now I think, that there was never a country,which was able to defeat every single country in a duell!
No single country could defeat the Empire of Alexander, but Alexander had no chance to defeat Qin China.
No single country could defeat the Roman Empire, but  the Roman Empire had no chance to defeat Han China.
No single country could defeat the Arabic Empire of Harun al Rashid, but  the Arabic Empire of Harun al Rashid  had no chance to defeat Tang China.
No single country could defeat the Mongolic Empire , but  the Mongolic Empire had no chance to defeat Japan.
No single country could defeat Napoleon, but  Napoleon had no chance to defeat Russia or UK.
No single country could defeat the British Empire under Victoria, but  the British Empire had no chance to defeat Russia.
No single country could defeat the German Empire , but  the German Empire had no chance to defeat the USA(they can't supply their troops in the West of the Appalachian Mountains).
No single country could defeat the USA(1898-today), but  the USA had no chance to defeat the USSR/Russia.

Edited by Scheich - 11-Oct-2007 at 12:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 14:41

Ok, now I think, that there was never a country,which was able to defeat every single country in a duell!
No single country could defeat the Empire of Alexander, but Alexander had no chance to defeat Qin China.
No single country could defeat the Roman Empire, but  the Roman Empire had no chance to defeat Han China.
No single country could defeat the Arabic Empire of Harun al Rashid, but  the Arabic Empire of Harun al Rashid  had no chance to defeat Tang China.
No single country could defeat the Mongolic Empire , but  the Mongolic Empire had no chance to defeat Japan.
No single country could defeat Napoleon, but  Napoleon had no chance to defeat Russia or UK.
No single country could defeat the British Empire under Victoria, but  the British Empire had no chance to defeat Russia.
No single country could defeat the German Empire , but  the German Empire had no chance to defeat the USA(they can't supply their troops in the West of the Appalachian Mountains).
No single country could defeat the USA(1898-today), but  the USA had no chance to defeat the USSR/Russia.

mongols couldnt defeat japan? ahaha
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 15:47
well...they didn't.

Scheich View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Scheich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 16:00
Ottomans, did you anything know about the battle of Hakata(1281)?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 17:23

Ottomans, did you anything know about the battle of Hakata(1281)?

sry i didnt know that, tnx btw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>