Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most powerful country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most powerful country
    Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 01:23
BTW you compared India, I had talked about " persia, arabia, middle east, India, china, russia, steppes, Japan, South Asia" also being parts of the world which could not be controlled by Rome.

Please compare Rome with these powers too. Specially China.

Anxiously waiting for the statistics !
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 01:27
Originally posted by Desimir

USA is not the dominant power during the last 30 years.As i said it is the most powerful country for only 16 years.If you compare military power of USA and USSR in 1989,you will see that the soviet union had much more powerful army,which in fact bring USSR to its collapse.

Desimir is right, For half of my life I (most Indians) were brought up beliving that USSR was the strongest. The US is emerging as a monopoly only now, still emerging, more so politically, its military capability in controlling is still questionable. USSR has ceased to exist, not Russia.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Agree there was an invasion, but alexander was frustrated & sent back to his homeland. Please make another correction in Alexander just attacked a tiny city state 60 miles across ruled by a very unpopular king against whom the other Indian kings were supporting Alexander.

That's not the way history usually explain things. It is supposed Alexander's soldiers were so tired of conquering peoples they just decided it was enough and should stop.

The Greek army could not even dare to get into India heartland & had to return, in which they were again marauded by the border tribes & a great part of them had to go back by the sea in fear of more attacks from these tibes.

They actually managed to form a kingdom in North West India, from where they influenced the future development of the subcontinent. Have you heared about the Greek-Buddist style of art, for example?

This is again untrue, Look at the records, they were an even match. And further Alex attacked in the night, And Indian's as a religious tradition did not fight in the night, So he got the advantage of surprise.
Moreover he was supported by Indian  kings also

Greeks always tricked their enemies.  

Getting into ifs & buts doesn't serve any purpose. The Fact is that the Romans were imperialists & expansionists, they would never have left a chance to conquer somebody if they felt they could. This is common with all imperialists & expansionists. The fact that they didn't is enough evidence that they could not have done so.

Romans were stopped by the Partians, not the Indians. They were stopped by the same peoples Alexander defeated so easily.

My dear friend military capability is not just fighting with the sword & the shield, it includes logistics also. Do you expect a nation to provide the logistical capability to a distant power to invade itself ? If the didn't have the capability, it was their problem, their military weakness.

Yes, but at the times of the Romans there were not aircraft carriers! LOL

Did I ever say that the Romans were weak. I like the romans a lot. The discussion started with your hypothesis that the Romans & the US controlled the whole world. The truth is neither of the two do.

Well, the U.S. is close to that goal. See the TV. I beat you see more MTV than Bolliwood movies.

with the most advanced tech,

Wish Good luck to that too.

Actually, that's easy to prove. Just take a book of Vitruvious or any of the engineers of Roman times and you will find out they were ahead of their times. A lot more advanced than any other people in the world.

If you pick the astronomical and mathematical works or Aryabatha or Bashkara you will find, at once, that Greek mathematics is at the background of those guys, too.

at least during the period of glory.

For me it still is glorious. Rome may not have been capable of conquering India in the past by fighting with it, but it has succeeded in ruling, controlling, conquering India today with LOVE.

If your knowledge about history  is good, please guess what I am hinting at ?

Well, I believe you were a lucky people not being conquered by Romans. After all, even with all its technology and civilization, Romans has been one of the more cruel and inhuman peoples that ever existed. Just remember the Coliseum.

Pinguin

Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 14:08
I am watching MTV,but not for entartaiment but to realize how ridiculous is american culture.

In fact i havent watched MTV for more than 8 years.

USA are far away from conrolling the whole world.Their power even become weaker with every year.
jinjia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jinjia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 14:17
Japan is not existed in that time!!!!!!!!!
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 14:32
Desimir, do you have a problem with usa? I dont think we should ever belittle any culture including USA.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 14:34

I am watching MTV,but not for entartaiment but to realize how ridiculous is american culture.

In fact i havent watched MTV for more than 8 years.

USA are far away from conrolling the whole world.Their power even become weaker with every year.

It is not that I love the US (actually it is the oppositive). However, as a Latin American that have suffered the U.S. invasions and intervention to these lands, I can say you, the worst mistake is to believe that country is weak.

Remember what Porfirio Diaz, the Mexican dictator, said: "Poor Mexico so far from heavens and so close to the United States". Wink

Now, this is just a list of the once superpowers which look down on the United States and payed the prize:

British Empire 1776
Spanish Empire 1898 (lost Cuba, Puerto Rico and Phillippines)
Germany 1945 (flattered)
Japan 1945 (flattered)
U.S.S.R. 1989 (economic breakdown after a failed arms and space race)

If you believe for winning to the U.S. you just has to increase the population and the per capita income you are death wrong. The U.S. has:

(1) The top universities in the world.
(2) The most advanced research facilities.
(3) Dominates the press, and the entertainment industry worldwide.
(4) Is the most powerful military power worldwide.
(5) Is the most advanced country in the R&D cycle.

It got the will.

Don't look down the U.S. That's the mistake that Hitler made.

Pinguin

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 14:41
Noone is looking down to US.
US are looking down to anyone.
Theirs is the mistake.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 15:59
I will disagree with you pinguin.

Ok,British Empire-it wasnt so powerful at that time.They had an exausting war with France.The peak of britain was 1815-1915.

Germany in WW2.You forget Britain and USSR,especially when the soviet union destroyed 3/4 of the german army.

USSR - it collapsed not because of USA.It were the stupid communists who spend huge amounts of money for army.They were able to have a smaller army which would be again equal to that of US.

Spanish - i dont think they were a superpower in 1898.It was very poor and weak country.Even their fleet was from wooden vessels.

Japan - It was mostly naval war.Yes USA won it,but japan didnt and still dont have the pottential of a Superpower.Small country with no resources.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 16:03
About top univercities.You forget Cambridge and Oxford,which are british.

All these facts that you said are true for present USA.
But things are changing.May be China will be the new superpower far more greater than USA.(i dont consider that USA is even in TOP 5 of the greatest empires.)
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 16:20

About top univercities.You forget Cambridge and Oxford,which are british.

All these facts that you said are true for present USA.
But things are changing.May be China will be the new superpower far more greater than USA.(i dont consider that USA is even in TOP 5 of the greatest empires.)

Desimir, all of you posts are blatantly anti-US. Why do you hate the US? Why do you bash the US in all your posts? It is really starting to irritate me.

OXford and Cambridge are great, but overall the United States universities are the worlds best. Just look at the sheer number of foriegn students studying here. Why would they come if the universities weren't great?

The U.S.S.R. was not as powerful as the U.S. all of the Cold War. The Soviet army was large-yes, a force to be reckoned with-yes, but would have lost against the U.S. in a war. The U.S. had, and continues to dominate the sky. THe horde of Soviet tanks would have been taken out from the sky. Lastly, if the Soviet Union was all powerful, how come the U.S. is still around and the USSR isn't? Its because we spent them into oblivion. During the 80s Regean forced the Soviets to spend all their money on the military until they ran out and collapsed.

Today the United States is miles ahead any other military, and will likely continue to be for the forseeable future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 16:49

I will disagree with you pinguin.

Ok,British Empire-it wasnt so powerful at that time.They had an exausting war with France.The peak of britain was 1815-1915.

Britain was the same Empire that humilliated China during the Opium war, that have India under its control and that defeated Napoleon. I don't think they were weak at all.

Germany in WW2.You forget Britain and USSR,especially when the soviet union destroyed 3/4 of the german army.

Yes, but the U.S. help the U.S.S.R. with lots of things, from food to tracks, guns and airplanes. The U.S. has the tech, though, to bomb Nazi germany to the end.

USSR - it collapsed not because of USA.It were the stupid communists who spend huge amounts of money for army.They were able to have a smaller army which would be again equal to that of US.

Not quite certain. The U.S.S.R. tried every single way to surpass the U.S. in military power, but forgot the simple lesson: money buy arms. And it also forgot that to control technogy is not only necessary to invest in science and basic research, but in the competitive talent of independent investors. The computer revolution left the U.S.S.R. behind more than anything else.

Yes, sometimes you need more hackers and practical fellows, and less nuclear and rocket scientists.

At the end, the U.S.S.R. could not compite with the computarized high tech weapons and didn't have more money to continue. It was ruined, so it gave up.

Spanish - i dont think they were a superpower in 1898.It was very poor and weak country.Even their fleet was from wooden vessels.

Actually, the Spanish engineer, Monturiol had designed the more advanced submarine of his time and it was already tested in Spain.... and discarted. Nobody believed in high tech in Spain.

To succeed you need more than investors and improvements, but states that addopt those inventions fast, and that believe in progress.

Japan - It was mostly naval war.Yes USA won it,but japan didnt and still dont have the pottential of a Superpower.Small country with no resources.

Well, Japan defeated the Russians early in the century. It is just they believed the U.S. was a weak country. A big mistake.

Pinguin.

Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 23:58
I dont hate americans.But sometimes i dont like their arrogance.
During the cold war USSR war really the most powerful country.Stop talking bulshi..ts.They have a bigger and stronger air defence and more aircrafts.According to study by CIA in 1979 ,in a possible war between USA and USSR,the US airfoces woulde be destroyed for 17 days.

USSR collapsed because of its economical system.We know that it didnt work properly even in 60st,in fact it never worked.It was a matter of time for USSR to collapse.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 00:47
Dear pinguin, the sorry mecedonians did not return on theoir own. His army was so terrified of th magadh empire, that it simply turned into a rebellion, where Alex had to even kill his close friends. & they couldn't even return fully by land, they had to take recourse to the sea also.

That north western Kingdom you mention was overthrown by Chanakya through Chandragupta Maurya. The mecedonian king was even forced to marry his daughter to Chandragupta.

And pinguin why do you fail to understand that imperialists, if they are capable will not leave any stone unturned to conquer any land they can. The fact that they didn,t simply means that they were not capable off.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 09:50
Well, that's not the way the Alexander's campaign are described in the West, anyways LOL.

And for the topic of imperialism, I believe the Greeks simply reacted to Persian imperialism. They took revenge, but in the process they become too much enthusiastics. There was no way they could keep a hold in India because it was too far away from Greece. But even though, they managed to found some kingdoms for a while and to influence the arts and the future of India. Not a small achievement for such a small country like Greece is.

The Greeks are still the symbol of the resistence of the West for its ability to fight in numerical inferiority, and win.

Pinguin

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:40
USA culture is not for garbage. As far as art(cinema, music etc) although it has as a purpose to make money manytimes americans made mastrpieces. Especially in music Iron Maiden and Metalica. xexexe

Now seriously they have mass production of art  and many of them are easy to forget.

Edited by perikles - 06-Oct-2006 at 11:41
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:51
Iron Maiden are british my friend.
Even one of the members of Metallica is not american,i mean Lars Ulrich is danish.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:13
Yes Ulrich is also the founder of the band. I always thought maiden Us. My mistake.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:17
I believe the greatest achievements of U.S. culture so far has been:

(1) tech:
development of mass production, particularly cars
development of the computer and invention of the compiler (software)
development of nuclear energy.
space conquest, particularly the landings on the moon.

(2) science:
Almost any field of human achivements is been monopolized by them. Count the Nobel prizes by country.

(3) arts:
movies. Almost all the classics were done by Americans.
cartoons. Particularly walt disney industry.
music. Jazz, Blues, Rocks and other musical forms are the most influential worldwide.
theatre. Think in Broadway.
Literature: popular genres. Science Fiction. In serious literature we got geniou like E.A. Poe, Mark Twain and many others.

Omar

Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 13:49
Yes but the real american culture was created in 19th and beginning of the 20th century.Now it is just a commercializm which shows one downgrading culture.

Sorry its just my personal opinion,but british rock is the greatest ever.I dont deny the achievments of american literature but it is still behind british,russian,german and french.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>