Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Middle East Before Arabization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middle East Before Arabization
    Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 11:50
Apart from the Lebonese and Iranians are there any other North African/ Middle Eastern people that have retained their own "certain look"?

Was the Middle East at one time in term of looks just as diverse as Europe??

Are there many groups left that someone such as myself would say mmm damn he doesnt look like and Arab at all.

On Myspace i was reading through an Iranian topic and there was this lad saying how he has 5 Egyptian friends and they dont call themselves Arabs, because when they were at their greatest they werent Arabs, who were they????. I think this persian dude may have disliked Arabs a lil.

Because of Arabization have there been groups that have completely lost their "old look"??

Provide pictures please.

Edited by machine - 01-Jun-2006 at 11:56
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:16
By look do you mean Physical appearance?
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:25
Ok nevermind i understand.  Yes the Middle East and North Africa is like Europe with many different kinds of diverse peoples.  I will post again with a explaination and pictures.
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:30
sorry about the pictures small size bit this is a picture of a Berber notice how caucasian looking he is.

Berbers are the Indiginous people of North Africa.  Altough today almost all berbers speak Arabic in small villages of Morocco Algeria Tunisia and Libya Berbers still look and speek thier own langwage.
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:34
Here is a better picture of a Berber girl in traditional dress.  Origins of the Berbers is hard to figure but it is believed thier langwage originates from South Western Asia.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:37

Thats nonsense its not diverse like Europe far-from it.

In the middle east, excluding Iran there are Arabs, Turks, Kurds, Assyrians, Druze, Yezids and Jews (not really an ethnic or race but different identity)

Putting it into perspective the total population of the Druze, Yezids and Assyrians amounts to a few million at max.

So there's four main groups, Arabs, Turks, Kurds, Jews Smile

Iran is far more complex though.

p.s in Berber and Toureg society woman are VERY powerfull and don't cover up while the men do, interesting topic!

Edited by Bulldog - 01-Jun-2006 at 15:39
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 15:40
This is Hicham el Guerruj a famous Berber track star.  Altough he is Muslim and speeks Arabic i am not sure if he speeks berber or not.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 00:27
Arabs themselvs dont look similar, there are dark color ones and there are lighter ones,

Middle eastern still dont look like the same, most of the time i can tell who is an egyptian and who is lebanese and who is algerian ..etc. not from the clothes but also from the look.

i guess people who are not used to live with different races would find a problem distinguishing between people.

for example how would you tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese or korean or vitnamese or thai?

Middle east isnt different.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 00:43
According to Herodot ancient Persians look like today. I have heared of an agyptian student in my uni, who says he is not an Arab. The language don't change your nationality, but cultur does. Sorry i am not very familiar with egyptian cultur of today, so i can't tell you if they live arabic cultur by majority or not. Another aspect is to respect the people's feeling, if they feel themselves as arabs or as not arabs, this is a personaly choise.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 00:50
@Azimuth, as an chines you will be able to see the difference between other chines and japanes people. Like me in germany if i see someone who don't looks German i could spot if he/she is Iranian or not. But the Germans can't differ between an Arab and an Iranian or a Turk.
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 14:17
Very well put maziar.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 14:36
Many people ask along the history about the blondy people from North Africa. Wasn't because northern migrations, but because the berbers are divided in two groups, a minority (5-8 % probably the ancient) called Mechta el Arbi/Cro-Magnon, and the majority of dark people (but more robust than the arabs), a branch of mediterranean people with a long isolated evolution from the other branchs; the two groups are mixed, althought the Mechtoides are more numerous in the western part of the Atlas, near the Atlantic ocean (near 10% of the berbers).

bye
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 14:44
Thanks for the info Ikki
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 15:36
Be careful, when i say "mediterranean"  i was talking about a phisical type, but, the genetics studies say that the berbers are near of the populatios of Near East, both separated in Egypt more or less (with an apportation of near eastern in the neolithic, probably by sea). Their idiom is a branch of the camyte-semitic languages, but their culture is native with a great influence first of the carthaginians and then the arabs (very very strong), althought not totally today they are very arabized (and discriminated) The paganism survive in few tribes, and in many faces of their religion.

Edited by Ikki - 02-Jun-2006 at 15:37
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 15:45
The Algerians i met look a lot "whiter" from appearance compared their neighbours (Tunisians and Morrocans). I have some Marrocan-berber friends, they can speak arabic and berber both, but they look similar to arabian Morrocans from appearance. 
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 16:59
The only clearly differents are the Mechtoides, the darknes berbers are similar to the people of Near East, if you do a physical analysis there are differences, but not very noticeables (according to my sources, the mediterranean berbers are an archaic type, this can be an oldfashioned theory). Equally, many people from north Europe can't see the difference between iberians and berbers...
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 17:07
Originally posted by azimuth

Arabs themselvs dont look similar, there are dark color ones and there are lighter ones,

Middle eastern still dont look like the same, most of the time i can tell who is an egyptian and who is lebanese and who is algerian ..etc. not from the clothes but also from the look.

i guess people who are not used to live with different races would find a problem distinguishing between people.

for example how would you tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese or korean or vitnamese or thai?

Middle east isnt different.

Thais and vietnamese are darker than the rest. And for the rest They're slight different like i don't think persian look like arabs and such
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Aktufe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aktufe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 18:18
Apart from the Lebonese and Iranians are there any other North African/ Middle Eastern people that have retained their own "certain look"?

Im not sure about Iranians, but I really can't tell the difference between a Lebonese and a syrian/palestinian/jordanian....
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 11:53

for sure not Aktufe, neither i can't differ between a lebanoese or a syrian palestinaian or a jordanian. These regions are heavily mixed by many ethnicities, from Arabs to Greecs and Romans.

Iranduxt View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Iranduxt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 16:34

I just like to point out, that Kurds are branch of Iranic people. They are not Turks, or Arabs, neither are they a separate group of their own. They are Iranians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>