Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spain....similar immigration issue to the US?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spain....similar immigration issue to the US?
    Posted: 28-May-2006 at 18:29
    I have read some articles that Spain is facing similar immigration issues to that going on in the US? But instead of recieving Mexicans they are receving mostly Morroccans. What other groups are trying to get into spain and maybe the rest of Europe?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 20:29
Chinese --> More or less everywhere but specially the UK
Northen African --> Italy/France/Belgium/Switzerland
Ukrainian --> Portugal
Western African --> Through Spain more or less everywhere
Afghan, Iraqi --> England and Scandinavia
Eastern European (mostly Russian) --> Germany

This is just things that come on top of my mind. Although what has to be pointed out is the price these people pay to get here. Not only the trip is ridiculously expensive as they have to use illegal immigration network (up to $30,000 for the Chinese I think), but the journey is extremely dangerous and many get killed (shot by the Austrian custom police, drawn in the Meditteranean, suffocating in a truck, etc.). Once they've managed to get there they are very often used as slaves and some of the women become prostitutes I don't know how it is in the US but the illegal imigation is one of the worst topic in mowadays Europe.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 20:55
Immigration is just a sign of the times. The EU in many respects is far worse off than the US. The EU has a large problem with immigrants refusing to integrate, and thus the immigrants can't get jobs.

The immigration reform that's taken place in the Netherlands reflects the this problem. I've read a few articles about Germany and thier failed integration plan. They now have large amounts of unemployed and un-assimilated immigrants.

Then there's also the issue that you've mentioned Maharbbal. Some people can't afford to immigrate, and have to resort to illegitimate ways. It's the same with the US. Immigrants hire criminals to illegally transport them across the border. If the transporters get spooked, they just abandon the immigrants (in the middle of teh mexican desert many times). Plus, you've got the sex trade and anrcotics trafficking to worry about.

I think a necessary step is to force immigrants to integrate and learn the language and history of the country they are entering before allowing them to enter.

here's an article about Germany's integration problems...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12935103/
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 09:45
Very true, i remember hearing that the immigrants are having a harder time immigrating in northern and central Europe. But i do not see the same problem of integrating in Spain. It actually seems like the immigrants are doing quite fine in the southern Europe countries
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 12:38

Well i cant speak for Europe but i can speak for Australia, and recent arrivals are not fitting in at all.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 22:30
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Very true, i remember hearing that the immigrants are having a harder time immigrating in northern and central Europe. But i do not see the same problem of integrating in Spain. It actually seems like the immigrants are doing quite fine in the southern Europe countries

No no Spain and Italy are not used at all to that kind of immigration, and the integration s extremely problematic.

I know better the Portugese case and there also the authorities are doint their best (the president spending the christmas eve with the ukranian workers) the problems are endless. Last year for instance about 200 young Angolese raided a beach in Lisbonne stealing everything. It is remakable that usually on tha beache you never see black people as if they were banned.

Big mess. spain and Portugaal were doing better when most of the imigration they got was coming from S. America.

M.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply