Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The filmmaker, the phallus and the king

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The filmmaker, the phallus and the king
    Posted: 26-May-2006 at 23:41
I've just seen Pedro Almodovar last masterpeace, Volver. The film is great and Penelope Cruze is awsome but here is not the point. The all film is about mujeres (women) who face crimes and death.

Althought three very important features stay out of the movie: men (they are either fired or killed), the state (that is the police to deal with the crimes that are comitted) and the church (God and priests are as good as absent). This triple lack reminds me what the feminist were saying in the 70's that the macho oppression was shouldered by the political power and the institutional religion.

What do you think now? Is there such a thing as a macho conspiracy? Are the state and the church based on male features?

To go back to the film, it is a real manifesto for women independency. At one point, during a funeral day, one of the female character is chassed by what she thinks his her mother's gost. She rushes to the door but on the verge of getting out she realizes that, as in any Mediterranean country, the men didn't come in the house of the dead person and that all the male of the village are waiting in front of the door. Well, she prefers to face the ghost inside the house where is her territory than to get in the street that belongs to the men.

The movie reminded me the best piece of art ever produced by a man about womankind: the House of Bernarda Alba by Federico Garcia Lorca.

M.

Edited by Maharbbal - 26-May-2006 at 23:42
I am a free donkey!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 23:26
Almodovar is one of my favorite directors, and, of course, his muse, Penelope Cruz, is the actriz in many of his movies. I will have to see Volver for sure!! Thanks for the synopsis.

As far as a "macho conspiracy" is concerned, I would like to think that someday men and women will learn to exist on equal levels. However, there are still many men all over the world that think of women as second class citizens. As I've said many times before, women still have a long way to go to reach equality on all levels. Women have had a tough fight for many many years, and it's not over yet. I don't even think it will happen in my lifetime, but I would like to at least know that my daughter will have access to more capabilities, opportunities and choices than her grandmother had. That alone, in and of itself, is triumphant!     

Edited by morticia - 27-May-2006 at 23:28
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
 Post Reply Post Reply