Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Etruscans are unlikely the ancestors of ..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Etruscans are unlikely the ancestors of ..
    Posted: 22-May-2006 at 10:05
... modern Tuscans, study finds.

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 11:13
NO! They're proto-turkic peoples who migrated to Europe. You should know that; it's on ancient Sumerian tablets. (BTW, Sumerians were also proto-turks) Just about every great civilization is somehow connected to turkic peoples.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 11:45

Hi

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2006/may17/mountain-051706.html

So who were the Etruscans? where did they originate from? are there any conclusive facts regarding this or is the work still in progress?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 15:23
Didn't the Etruscans say that they were the fleeing inhabitants of Troy? Or was that Rome?
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 06:14
Originally posted by Herschel

NO! They're proto-turkic peoples who migrated to Europe. You should know that; it's on ancient Sumerian tablets. (BTW, Sumerians were also proto-turks) Just about every great civilization is somehow connected to turkic peoples.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 06:48
Originally posted by Herschel

Do you have to show us any linquistic or archaelogical evidence to proof your claim ?
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 07:59
No, but I do have truthiness to back me up. 
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 08:38
I find it hard to believe too im a Turk but nah it's just not credible
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 11:17
Heh guys, I think he's joking.

It was the Romans who claim descent from the Trojan refugees led by Aeneas.

There are a few theories on their origins. Herodotus claims that they were from Lydia. Another theory suggests that they are in fact the Sea Peoples that were defeated by the Rameses III. A third suggests that they are nothing more than a native European people heavily influenced by the Greek culture which they traded with in Southern Italy.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:50
Ancient Etruscans had a culture affected by the celtic, illyrian, itallic (enetian etc.) greek and perhaps thracian as prooved by the archaelogical data. Their culture had also specific elements, but I believe that anyhow they belonged to the IE group, same as the people I mentioned. Therefore no links with turkic or asian. In their commercial affairs they came in contact with different non-european countries from north africa, and they might have also a strong basque (pre-indoeuropean) element in their culture. But this is just a hypothesis, as far as I know their culture left no descendants. If anybody can provide some etruscan words (toponims etc) it would help somehow.
Regarding the people whose ancestors were the etruscans, I would say that the tuscans probably derive from the etruscans, and this not only bacause of the name. Of course the Tuscany language and culture is part of the italian, which is part of neo-latin, and this has no links with etruscan (or etrurian). But we should keep in mind that the neo-latin (romance) people are not descendants of that little tribe called Latinii
The Etruscans didn't dissapear physically, they were just assimilated. But they were many of them, and i believe that their blood still runs in the tuscans veins. Regarding their culture Confused it didn't make it...
Prej heshtjes...!
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:25
I'm with Arbr Z on this one.  There should be no doubt that they were integrated into Roman society along with the Sabines the other tribes that lie scattered across central Italy.  It wasn't in the Roman nature to completely annihilate a people when all that was needed was to destroy their ruling class and army, and then place them under Roman law.  See what they did to the Gauls (in what is now modern France).
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Tsks View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tsks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 22:50
I wonder if you know about Professor Mario Alinei who say
that the Etruscan like the Magyar archaic language. They very similar to the Magyar around 2300 bc.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 09:41
Hi!

I remember only just one etruscian word from this book (I didn't read it, but I'll): zillagh (cheellugh) It means 'star' in english and 'csillag' in hungarian:-).

But the sumerian grammatic (not the words) is nearly the same that the hungarian. So I think we magyars have no etruscian and/or sumerian origin, but maybe they were relativs from the antient ugrians.

TSZ

Edited by Tar Szernd - 04-Jan-2007 at 13:48
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 15:31
So do you believe that Magyars and Etruscans were..brothers linguisticaly?So the Fins who are in the same language group with you share your relation with the etruscans?...
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 05:47
Hi!

Can you prove the opposit of this:-)? We have a few same words, not more. Words that were used cc. 2500 before.

No, I wrote 'maybe'.  But it would be cool.

TSZ

Edited by Tar Szernd - 05-Jan-2007 at 05:49
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 12:55

If the Etruscans really haven't left any modern descendants in Tuscany, that fact could be taken to support the ancient story that they were immigrants from outside the region. As is indicated in the article, they could have formed an upper class, which seems not improbable if you think of a foreign people superimposing themselves upon an indigenous one, as happened in India. This would still allow for continuity in the archeological record.

Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 06:12

I have read almost all historical articles on the web, have searched for more than 1 year about Etruscans, in order to know all the variants on their identity that I will talk about on my presentation this summer. There are many variants. Some say, like Homer, They are descendants of Lydians, and becouse they had  worship to she wolf and the Lydia's name itself - it made many Turkish historians believe that they actually were proto Turks. Then, after tombstone was found in Egypt, they began thinking that they actually originated from Egypt, and developped their own language which was a branch from old Egyptian. Then, the fact that many words appeared to the same with Gallic and Madyar, some believed thay and Madyars, as well as Fin-Ugors and Galls did have something in comon. Then some historians came up with the idea, that Etruscans were inhabitants of those lands, but this is also absurd, becouse not a single evidense about Etruscans are found, or exist before 10th century BC (not I say it).

Today, I really get frustrated when I hear some people, presenting his culture, says that Etruscans are their ancestors. Who knows. There is not enough evidence, that is the 1st case, and the second, would be, there is no any mean in behaving like that. We had a historian, very famous, saying that Sumer was proto Turk. In fact, it is impossible, becouse nations living 3000 years ago, may have been ancestors of more than 1 nation. Just 800 years ago, Azerbaijan Turks, Turkmens, Turks, Turkmans, Kazakhs - we were all together. We were Oghuzes. But today what happened? Turkmenistan have not even recognized our territorial integrity! What, But we have been brothers, right? So I consider it just nonsense to say or artificially claim any nation living eras before as smbs. ancestors. Today Scythians do not exist. But They may be ancestors of Slavic, Iranic, Hunnic, Germanic people. Then Huns, were seperated, they divided into Gogturks, Mongols, Manchurs and so on. Then Turks divided into Oghuzes, Uygurs, Sakha - Yakuts, Kipchaks. And then Oghuzes divided and today Azerbaijani Turks, Turkey Turks, Iran and Iraq Turks and Turkmans, Turkmens - we are oguzses. So Both we and Iranians and Germans were Scythians some times, right? Then we have a right to be proud with them, we all do!!!

That is what I Think, Etruscans were Etruscans, They lived and were melted among others later, and then others appeared and lived and died, and now, we continue that. BTW, the classification that I made fromScythians to Turks, It is not distinct, It is also another topic, but it was just an example, so u may not agree with me, and that is just ok.

Thank you.

Kerimoglu
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 18:18
kerimoglu, It is not related to the subject, but would you mind telling what is that flag in your avtar? is it a country flag?
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 16:25
is there enough Etruscan vocabulary to actually comment on whether it is related more to one or another indo-european language? i was under the impression we have a very limited number of words in Etruscan.
 Post Reply Post Reply