Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Dynasties.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Dynasties.
    Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 10:03
What do you think is the greatest family dynasty of European history. Is it the Tudors, Bourbons, Hapsburgs, or even the Romanovs. I would say the Hapsburgs because they had the longest enduring history and once ruled both Austria and Spain.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 12:07

Welf (Hanover, Brunswick), Habsburg and Hohenzollern. military wise i'd say Wrttemberg, no other family had members of it fighting personally in so many wars since the middle ages up to WW1 (in the case fo the latter of course not directly at the front ). for middle ages alone i'd say Anjou and Hohenstaufen. of those mentioned only Anjous are not of Swabian origin, but that's just coincidence... Bonaparte and Romanov could also be included...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:53
Hap Hap Happy Hapsburgs
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 17:15
argh, it's Habsburg with B, i've seen it so often wrong, whose fault is this?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 05:49
I pick on Habsburgs
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 16:44
What makes the Hapsburgs great. I always found it fascinating how they were able to expand the scope of their power through marriage. I think they might have gained more territory through that method than through military power.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 13:28
The Hapsburgs are probably the most influencial ruling family of all time. More than the Tudors or Bourbons.
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 10:01

"argh, it's Habsburg with B, i've seen it so often wrong, whose fault is this?"

Actually, it can be either way.  German B and P sound pretty much the same, is the theory.

Like Romanov and Romanoff.  The Russian sound is similar to both 'ov' and 'off' but not really either one.  Today the convention is to use 'ov', but a hundred years ago it was 'off.'  Either is correct.

And look how the Romanized spellings of Chinese words changes from generation to generation.  How would a westerner pronounce 'Zhang?'  Would you be surprised to learn it is pronounced 'Jong?'  At least that's what Zhang Hui (Jong Hway) tells me.

Cap
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 10:06

"What makes the Hapsburgs great. I always found it fascinating how they were able to expand the scope of their power through marriage. I think they might have gained more territory through that method than through military power. "

This is true.  Take Charles the V (or Carlos I of Espana) for example.  His mother, Juana la Loca, was the daughter of the king of Aragon and the queen of Castile.  His father was the son of the Archduke Maximillian of Austria (and HRE) and Mary of Burgundy.

However, future generations, in an attempt to keep the holdings within the family, married uncles to neices and cousin to cousin.  The result was Carlos II (died 1700 or 1701).  This grotesque creature, aside from being so horribly ugly his first wife fainted dead away at the sight of him, was throughly retarded.  He learned to talk and feed himself by age 10.  Died at 40.  No heirs (surprised?).

Cap
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 10:47
Originally posted by capcartoonist

Actually, it can be either way.  German B and P sound pretty much the same, is the theory.

Like Romanov and Romanoff.  The Russian sound is similar to both 'ov' and 'off' but not really either one.  Today the convention is to use 'ov', but a hundred years ago it was 'off.'  Either is correct.

But Russian uses different characters.
Habsburg is Habsburg in German, but Romanov is Романов in Russian. There are different ways of romanizing Russian words, but German words don't need to be romanized, so it's best to use the native spelling.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:21
Romanoff is the French spelling.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 17:52
Which dynasty would you say had the most impact on European history?
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 21:08
I believe Habsburg comes for the German Habichtsburg, or hawk castle.
Member of IAEA
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 21:30
 Well I'd say that the Hapsburgs(sp?) were the greatest.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 23:01

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

What do you think is the greatest family dynasty of European history. Is it the Tudors, Bourbons, Hapsburgs, or even the Romanovs. I would say the Hapsburgs because they had the longest enduring history and once ruled both Austria and Spain.

I change my mind now, I say the Medici.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 23:25
I just thought someone should mention the Jagiellonian dynasty, their dominion around early 1500's stretched form baltic to black to adriatic sea.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:17
At one point the Hapsburg's ruled all of Austria and in addition Spain.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 11:24
Yes, Carlos Primero of Spain, Charles V of Germany.  He not only ruled Spain and Austria - but Hungary, the Netherlands, sections of Germany, and all of Spain's posessions of the new world.  However, as his mother was Juana la Loca, and she was a Spaniard, so was he .  Too bad he had two children, or else the Empire wouldn't have been split between Ferdinand and Phillip.
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 21:22

What!? No carolingians!? They should be up there as well.

Romanovs are not that influental because they ruled a country that was traditionally considered the backwater of europe. I don't think the tudors were that influental because at the time england had not expanded like it would until succeeding families took over (i.e. the native dynasty died out).

The way I see it. The three great families are caronlingians, Habsburgs, and the Bourbons, in no particular order. Between the Habsburgs and the Bourbons it's too close to call.  

faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 02:06

Originally posted by DuxPimpJuice

Yes, Carlos Primero of Spain, Charles V of Germany.  He not only ruled Spain and Austria - but Hungary, the Netherlands, sections of Germany, and all of Spain's posessions of the new world.  However, as his mother was Juana la Loca, and she was a Spaniard, so was he .  Too bad he had two children, or else the Empire wouldn't have been split between Ferdinand and Phillip.

Ferdinand was his brother, and he was the king of Hungary and Bohemia. Carlos got his election as the next Emperor, and when he abdicated Ferdinand inherited Austria, and the HRE.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>