Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Dynasties.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Dynasties.
    Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 02:16
I'd go with the Hapsburgs too.
Arrrgh!!"
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 15:17
I wil go with the Osmans (Ottomans) whose empire lasted for 600 years! Clearly very underrated...
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 15:54
I go with Jagiellons. The empire they created was the biggest state in Europe in XVI-XVII centuries.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:26
Well, Jagiellonians extincted while Habsburgs are not monarchs but still living familly and there is lots of them. We have even polish Habsburgs in Poland. They were imprisoned by Nazists during WW2 because polish prince Habsburg (officer of polish army) refused to cooperate with Nazi Germany, said that he is polish citisen and therefore enemy of German state. Hitler wanted to put him to concentration camp but finally he was released after intervention of swedish king and went to Sweden. Now their familly came back to Poland.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 12:50
very interesting!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 20:16

Originally posted by Temujin

very interesting!

Even more. One of the sons of prince von Habsburg during WW 2 fought in polish carpatian brigade at Narvik. The second fought in 1st polish armoured division of gen. Maczek on the western front.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:10

Interesting that no-one has mentioned the Hanoverians. Their reigns, from George I to Victoria, from 1715 to 1901, saw the building of the world's largest empire and even though that empire has now turned into the Commonwealth the residue of influence of the British Empire's political and cultural traditions in the world is still greater than that of any other.

I don't think any family has ever ruled over more territory.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:17
Originally posted by gcle2003

Interesting that no-one has mentioned the Hanoverians. Their reigns, from George I to Victoria, from 1715 to 1901, saw the building of the world's largest empire and even though that empire has now turned into the Commonwealth the residue of influence of the British Empire's political and cultural traditions in the world is still greater than that of any other.

Did they really rule? They rather reigned than ruled.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:53
Originally posted by gcle2003

I have mentioned them...

Inquisitor Dei View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Inquisitor Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:24
I would go with the dinasty of Christ. The Catholic papacy. An unbroken chain from St. Peter to John Paul II.
"I am the way, the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father but through me."

--John 14:6
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:53

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 02:52

i'd say personally that the Jagiellons but i think Francis I ruled or reigned over more territory than English rulers ever.

Originally posted by Emperor Francis I

]Emperor Francis I of Austria used the official great title: "We, Francis the First, by the grace of God Emperor of Austria; King of Jerusalem, Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, and Lodomeria; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Wrzburg, Franconia, Styria, Carinthia, and Carniola; Grand Duke of Cracow; Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Sandomir, Masovia, Lublin, Upper and Lower Silesia, Auschwitz and Zator, Teschen, and Friule; Prince of Berchtesgaden and Mergentheim; Princely Count of Habsburg, Gorizia, and Gradisca and of the Tyrol; and Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and Istria"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 10:18

Probably Osmanoglu dynasty, since 1299... And Osman Begh's father was Ertugrul Begh. Even today their grand grand sons still live, but I dont know exactly where they live. Possibly France...

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 18:26
I am partial to the Palaeologan dynasty, which ruled what was left of the Byzantine Empire from 1261 to 1453 A.D.  They were the last rulers in the imperial tradition of the Roman Empire.  The bravery of Constantine XI Palaeologus at the fall of Constantinople in 1453 is especially commendable.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 19:49
The problem is that Constantine Palaeologus lost the remnants of the Empire to the Turks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 11:56

Jagiellonians. I pick them because:

1. Their empire - from Odra to Volga, from Baltic to Black sea. In that time Polish-Lithuanian union (during last days of Zygmunt August's regin - commonwealth) was the biggest in Europe.

2. It was great country, but not russian-like great but only with 2-3 representative cities, and nothing more. Lots of bridges, castles and other wonders of reinessance architecture were bulided during their regin.

3. Character of whole dynasty. In Jagiellonian dynasty we can find crusaders (Wadysaw III), great leaders and politics, protectors of artists... but I never knew about any despotic and brutal Jagiellon.

Edited by Krl Jegomo
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:56
Originally posted by mongke

What!? No carolingians!? They should be up there as well.
What about the Merovingians?
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I am partial to the Palaeologan dynasty, which ruled what was left of the Byzantine Empire from 1261 to 1453 A.D.  They were the last rulers in the imperial tradition of the Roman Empire.  The bravery of Constantine XI Palaeologus at the fall of Constantinople in 1453 is especially commendable.
And what was the name of the dynasty that ruled when the Western Crusaders had control of Byzantium, AD 1204-1261?
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 05:55
     If time is the test of greatness, there is none greater than the Bagratids of Georgia. They ruled from the early 9th century to the early 19th century, a millenium of uninterrupted rule.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Young Tatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Young Tatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 20:57
Genghisid Dynasties:
Girays..
Genghis Khan  was the founder of the greatest empire of the world history. And, traditions, laws of him were really great.
Genghisid Girays were also the greatest thread against Russian Empire until 1720s.
They burned Moscow once and plundered Russian, Polish, Litvanian cities a lot of times.
Crimean Khanate had one of the strongest armies of imperial age.
"Independence and Freedom are my character."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

-----------------------------
Crimean Tatar Independence Movement
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>