Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Architecture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What style of architecture do you most fancy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.45%]
15 [22.39%]
4 [5.97%]
5 [7.46%]
12 [17.91%]
10 [14.93%]
3 [4.48%]
7 [10.45%]
2 [2.99%]
2 [2.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Architecture?
    Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 09:21
Chineese - a good mix of mysticism and practical side.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
siroos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote siroos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 13:59
This site has the most fantastic pictures of Iranian architecture and arts that I've ever seen: 

For contemporary Iranian architecture:
Gkhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Gkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 14:02
Voted for classical Greek.

After seeing Gothic ; my vote goes for Gothic :)

Edited by Gkhan - 14-Jan-2007 at 14:02
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 14:56
My favourite is Persian architecture because well Islamic is persian so there the same it's just nice. I don't kniw it has something other types don't have or lack.

I like ottoman architecture alot what is ottoman architecture Persian mixed with clasic greek or was it roman.

Meso-american would be my second choise

3d place goes 2 egyptian

I realy dislike Gothic its to dark and pointy

Edited by xi_tujue - 14-Jan-2007 at 14:58
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 10:05
I don't understand the category system.

There is Persian and then Islamic, how many pre-Islamic pieces of Persian architecture are standing, if that's the case why not Arab architecture there are also pre-Islamic remanants around, or Egyption they have Islamic, Fatimid, TulunOgullu, Mamluk, Abbasid, Ottoman and pre-Islamic architecture, Turks have pre-Islamic architecture etc etc

Also Islamic architecture is given as an option, why is Christian architecture not given as one option but split into different sections.

Is the architecture of Mali the same as Malaysia? common.

I personally am a fan of Ottoman, Safavid, Timurid (including Mughal an extention of Timurid) and the architecture of Al-Andalus. I admire Meso-American and also like Roman architecture.

Xi_Tujue, Ottoman architecture has Seljuk, Timurid, Roman(Byzantine) influences and its own original creations and form of independant architecture which makes Ottoman Ottoman.

Edited by Bulldog - 15-Jan-2007 at 10:06
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 18:00
You seem to get the question fine, whats your favorite style of architecture? As I stated in my first post that they only had room for 10 options and that if there was a style that was not on the list you should feel welcome in elaborating on a different style that you admired.

There are examples of Persian architecture pre-Islam. Persepolis being an obvious one. As for the Arabs pre-Islam, it was to my understanding that they were a largely nomadic people of the desert. I dont know of any architectual examples that still exist from the Arabs pre-Islam. Maybe the Kabaa?? Correct me if Im wrong.?

Also when offering the example of "Egyptian" I was refering to the ancient Egyptian architecture, sorry maybe I should had specified.

Good question as to why Islamic architecture is given as an option and Christian is not. Most folks will categorise Islamic architecture all together in some instances but for the most part what the focus is is early Islamic architecture which takes in great influences from Roman(Byzantine) and Persian and mixes in their own rich culture and flavor to it. If you'll notice the three options which could be viewed as Christian architecture- Renaissance Era, Gothic, and Byzantine. These three styles differ immensely both in aesthetics and functions of course thats not to say that Islamic architecture doesnt differ from region to region but its clear that in Europe(or Christian if you like) the styles differ more majorly from region to region.  
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:20
Persepolis isn't standing, you could have added the Hanging Garden's of Babylon and other Mesopotomian architectural example's no longer standing aswell. But I get your point, you can't include every style and your restricted to ten.

Islamic architecture also changes dramatically from region to region and had different periods and style's as did Christian architecture. Ofcourse there are also similarities in Islamic architecture such as the use of geometry, symetry and lack of human image's but it's so rich I don't think you can just approach it by just looking at it as a whole.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 02:50

Persepolis isn't standing, you could have added the Hanging Garden's of Babylon and other Mesopotomian architectural example's no longer standing aswell.

You shouldn't expect that some ancient palaces remain intact completely after 2500 years, but, with no doubt, the magnificent palace complex at Persepolis is one the best preserved ancient monuments in the world.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 07:08
Why not? there are countless examples of even earlier structures still standing.
Albert Pine

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 04:07

Please show me some examples, I don't know what you mean by "still standing", do you expect to still see the wooden roof of Darius Palace?

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 19-Jan-2007 at 04:08
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:43
My vote goes to Renaissance Era.

Join us.
TheSmokinPot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TheSmokinPot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 04:56
I love Gothic architecture (Northern and Central European Gothic), as its structural elements are often exposed (buttresses), so it gains almost "futuristic/mechanical look" and real appreciation of old masters and honesty of the materials.
Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Arkhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 16:11
Also I will gonna bet on  roman architecture :) Cause technical solutions of the romans were perfect:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12