Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Architecture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What style of architecture do you most fancy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.45%]
15 [22.39%]
4 [5.97%]
5 [7.46%]
12 [17.91%]
10 [14.93%]
3 [4.48%]
7 [10.45%]
2 [2.99%]
2 [2.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Architecture?
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 22:42
Now that we have concluded that this thread works properly......Big smile

What is your favorite type/style of architecture? What style most makes you ooh and ahh?

And why? Was it Roman, for their ingenuity? Or maybe Egyptian for their large-scale structures? Or maybe Gothic for its grandeur?

Of course feel free to express any other style you admire if its not on the list, they only had room for 10.

Edited by arch.buff - 16-May-2006 at 22:43
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 17:45
Persian, easily my favorite.  It used to be Chinese but after seeing that stuff in person it all starts to look the same.  Persian and transoxianan architecture however is amazing and has enough variations to keep a ADD type person like me enthralled.  Gothic and Islamic would be my next faovites.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 16:38
Byzantine because it's the expression of a very moral ideology.

Also, it's a such armonious unity between the dogma and their material expression that logicaly cann't be the result of a natural way of thinking.

The Byzantine builders were sort of engineers but like the painters and other artisans were praying when working. We could say that the Byzantine art it's a result of prayer because it's fundaments are not rational, like in the Christian West, bust mystical; it's the product of praying minds. This explain the incredible armony of Byzantine architecture and art.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 20:20

Islamic.....

The sheer simplicity of it is beautiful.   I also like Romanesque Churches and Japanese archetecture for the same reason.

Edited by Cryptic - 06-Jul-2006 at 20:21
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 03:54
What is the Islamic architecture?!!

This Persian art and artitecture! Smile

1,000 years old Mosalla of Shah Abdulazim Complex in my city Tehran:

You can see all types of Persian arts here!

Moarragh Kari: (Marquetry-Work)

Gereh Kari: (Knot-Work)

Kashi Kari: (Tile-Work)

Rasmi Bandi: ?

Kase Kari: (Bowl-Work ?)

Barjasteh Kari: (Relief-Work)

Sang Kari: (Stone-Work)

Shishe Kari: (Glass-Work)

General view of Shah Abdulazim Complex:

Dome of Mosalla:

Interior of Mosalla:

Gloval View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gloval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 12:43
Persian architecture is fairly distinct from other mid eastern kinds but these are islamic persian designs, with the arabic script and all.

Personally i like the classical greek better or at the same level of persian architecture because it just seems so tranquil with a mediterranean setting.
You don't spread democracy through the barrel of a gun.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 22:04
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

What is the Islamic architecture?!!

This Persian art and artitecture! Smile

1,000 years old Mosalla of Shah Abdulazim Complex in my city Tehran:

Thanks for posting the beautiful; pictures.  Though I admire the engineering aspects of Gothic Cathederals, there are to many statues and the structures look cluttered.  The cultural tradition agaisnt portraying the human form allows for a lot simpler structure.

In regards to Islamic verse Persian Archeatecture....  Your point reminds me of what I saw in Guinea.   Conakry is about 80% Muslim yet I saw numerous Romanesque style churches (complete with dual bell tower like structures).

I though these were churches until I realized that they were all mosques.  Evidently, the local "Islamic" Archeatecture was heavily influenced by the French and thus the church-like mosques.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 08:56
In Iran there are several churches and synagogue that you think to be mosques!

Vank Cathedral:

This is a church in Persian style.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:06

The Cathedral interior reminds me in a little way of the interior of the Haga Sophia in Instanbul.   Though I am sure that the blended style of the interiro of the cathederal in Iran was a peaceful cultural process.

The Haga Sophia cathederal / mosque / museum in Instanbul, Turkey is an example of an achitectural style style that was mixed following conquests.    So is the mosque /  cathedral is Cordoba, Spain. 

Edited by Cryptic - 09-Jul-2006 at 10:12
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 11:13
I think there is no such classification as "islamic architecture", it should be classifed as "Ottoman architecture", "Umayyad arch.", "Persian arch.", "Seljuk arch." and "others" because it is very diverse from period to period, from people to people and from states/empires to states/empires styles.
Gloval View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gloval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 13:44
True, but that's what you get for living in a eurocentric world. That and nobody thinks it's important to understand distinct differences between cultures other than their own.
You don't spread democracy through the barrel of a gun.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 05:56

I would say my favorite type of architecture either comes from ancient Roman or Byzantine.

Roman building took architecture to a new level, they took many influences and with the help of the Roman arch created wonders. Also Byzantine architecture is so beautiful but still holds that Roman ingenuity.
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 15:10
I am Gonna have to say Gotich architecture! One of my Favorite Buildings in the world:

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 23:23
I would have to say Islamic. Persian runs a close second, but some of it is just a little over the top in my opinion.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 12:27
Dear India, always forgotten Unhappy
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 14:15
I'm a big fan of Gothic architecture, including the revival styles like Gothic Revival and also the Tudor Era buildings in Britain (sort of English Gothic) For me, Byzantine comes very close but unfortunately we don't have many secular buildings from the Byzantine period. 
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 17:14
Architecture based on indian model, counting only hindu or budhist architecture (about the islamic-indian architecture can be make a wonderful pic):

Vijayanagar-Hampi:

Lotus Palace

Stone Chariot

Chola architecture:

Thanjavur temple

Airavateswarar temple

Orissa:

Java-Prambanan:

Camboya-Angkor:

Myanmar-Pagan:

Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by Menumorut

Byzantine because it's the expression of a very moral ideology.

Also, it's a such armonious unity between the dogma and their material expression that logicaly cann't be the result of a natural way of thinking.

The Byzantine builders were sort of engineers but like the painters and other artisans were praying when working. We could say that the Byzantine art it's a result of prayer because it's fundaments are not rational, like in the Christian West, bust mystical; it's the product of praying minds. This explain the incredible armony of Byzantine architecture and art.

Well said Cool
I love the way you express yourself btw Smile

Yer, Persian architecture is breath-taking.. very ornate in terms of decorative detail.  I agree with Cryptic in that the Vank Cathedral looks very much like the interior of Agia Sophia.

There's some beautiful structures there, but in terms of general architecture, I would have to say Byzantine, as it also encompasses Classical Greek.

"The Byzantine Empire was no less than a continuation of the Greek world as it had evolved after the age of Alexander the Great.  Even from as early as the reign of Constantine the Great we can identify the Byzantine Empire as the Greek Empire of the middle centuries.
It was filled with works of art that had survived from ancient Greece and with the masterpieces of it's own exquisite craftsmen.

It's architecture also influenced the dome in western cathedrals, mosques, onion domes of Russia.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 15:14
Hi,

I also like Gothic architecture. Cathedrals are not only marvelous building but quite an engineering achievement. I believe Cathedrals where the origin of modern civil engineering and high rise building.

Besides, Cathedrals are symbolic books, designed for the initiated in ocultism to read, another thing why I found them so attractive.

Pinguin

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 19:56
Nice thread.

Greco-Roman is a good mix of both Religious and Civic based architecture.

Edited by Hellios - 04-Oct-2006 at 19:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>