Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American University

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American University
    Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:29
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
in Bosnia and Herzegovina

One of the objectives of the American University in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is basically a campus of the University of New York, is to encourage women in a country that one had the most female PhD's per capita in the whole of Europe to branch out into careers typically reserved for men in Bosnian culture.

There are similar programs in many nations, including several others with predominantly Muslim students. Many of the problems associated with these education facilities ('They're making our women too Western', 'They're trying to corrupt our values') are not a problem in Bosnia and Herzegovina, for obvious reasons, and so the response from the public has generally been positive.

The American University is accredited in North America which is something of a sore spot for other Bosnian universities. The University of Sarajevo, for example, is undeniably a more prestigious institution but has seen declining enrolement simply because people would rather be an electrical engineer in the United States than a Linguistics Historian in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

What do you think about such institutions? Will they have a negative or positive effect on the women educated within them? Will they have a negative or positive effect on the societies they are hosted by?
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:45

we have Two Universities in UAE which called American University, all the costs of the buildings and equipments were dealt with by UAE rulers, the naming and the staff are sometype of deal just to get the latest education system in the world which is well up-dated in the US.

they dont have that much effect on women or men, since there still the culture factor which prevent Western negative influence on the students (but then such influence is not from the universitites, its mostly the MEDIA which includes movies and TV programmes and the internet and other factors)

i guess one of the advantages is to get the Developed knowledge of the US without being in the US.

we also have other US universities and colleges such as Harvard and texas colleges, also colleges from the UK, Australia ...etc.

still the largest Universities and Colleges are the local ones and they are in high standards too.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:48
That's interesting. You know, I think UAE is the most modern, religious country I know - of all faiths. More religious and more modern even than America I would say. I don't see much from it, but I do see and when I take notice on the news or something... it's always like space age things there.

EDIT: Like now they use little robots instead of African kids for camel races!

EDIT 2: I re-read all that and it sounded like a condescending joke. But it's true, every word.

Edited by Mila
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:51
Interesting, "American University" (which is its actual name) is not far from my hometown. 
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 21:11

yup we have

American University of Sharjah (AUS) http://www.aus.edu/

aus front

<< zurck zur bersicht  << zurck zur bersicht

<< zurck zur bersicht

<< zurck zur bersicht

a geek

and American University of Dubai (AUD). http://www.aud.edu/

also in other Arab countries there are also American University of Cairo (AUC) and American University of Beirut (AUB) and American University of Kuwait (AUK).

and there are many others competing with the local universities and colleges.

Edited by azimuth
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:29
Mila, can you please state with specificity what you mean when you say: "'They're making our women too Western', 'They're trying to corrupt our values')", what do you mean by that? Is it the wearing apparel, the vocabulary, the food, or what? What is considered "too Western" and how does it "corrupt our values"?...and which values might those be?
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:50
Of course, but it is as general and abstract as it sounds in my post. I remember newspaper articles that mentioned, when these institutions were first being proposed in the Balkans, the "negative effects" they've had elsewhere. They mentioned, I believe, Bulgaria and a few Arab states and talked about how the main opposition in East Europe was that it encourages people to emmigrate and the main opposition in the Arab world was often that men and women were being educated together or whatever else. It wasn't a big study or anything, just conversations - in person and on paper. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply