Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Impossibility of God?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
The Guardian View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Guardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Impossibility of God?
    Posted: 14-May-2006 at 13:54

I recently read a post saying that Gods existence is impossible, could people try and explain that please?  I would love to hear them prove it.

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
                             &nb
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:03
Define God please.
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 17:26
 -I'll have a stab at this. I do not like to divulge information from an unfinished work(My Manifesto on the stupidity of Religion) but just for fun I am willing to do so now.

-If God exists(I'm discussing monotheistic religion on this arguement though it can be applied to all) why is his existence geographically hindered? Take christendom for instance; if God exists why did the knowledge of him have to spread from the middle east? Why didn't an Indian(Native American to be PC) become a prophet? It's quite absurd that an omnipotent god would find a few mountains or a sea get in the way of his word... This is true of any religion and so it applies just as much to any religion.

-Let me wrap this one up with some words of wisdom from myself; To believe is never difficult. Choosing not to believe when everyone else does, that is difficult.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 18:12
A very good point RoadKill, i add to this one morefact, if the God exists, so he must be an ignorant God and not omnicient how the religions claim. I mean why should he say Jesus is the son of the God in the bible and deny this in Quran?
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 18:14
 -Thank you Aylar... I mean Maziar.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 18:57

To answer this frequently-asked question, I will just quote what our wise friend Tobodai says in one of his posts:

Originally posted by Tobodai

There sill has been no proof and the burden of proof isnt on me.  Why should U prove there is no god anymore than I should disprove the crazy homeless guys ranting about smurfs being real.  WHo has time to disprove every crazy notion?  No, the crazy notions must be the ones that are proven so that acually inelligent and creative people can figure out how to make real society better.

Originally posted by Maziar

A very good point RoadKill, i add to this one morefact, if the God exists, so he must be an ignorant God and not omnicient how the religions claim. I mean why should he say Jesus is the son of the God in the bible and deny this in Quran?

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 19:01
I think God as described by most religion is an impossibility because they are strongly reflective of the cultures that raised the characteristic of god. In other words, God in religion (from a secular point of view) is a literary creation of a culture.

On the other hand, there are elements in this universe that humans cannot logically understand. So using the non-cultural non-religious definition of god, I think God is absolute.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 19:05
[QUOTE=Imperator Invictus] On the other hand, there are elements in this universe that humans cannot logically understand.[QUOTE]

-No, there are elements in this universe that we haven't yet found the logical reason for. This does not mean that there isn't any.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 19:14

Ask God.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 19:34
Originally posted by Spartakus

Ask God.

you do and tell me the answer

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 21:59

Ask God.

I have... he is real and not a figment of someone's imagination.

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 22:13
Originally posted by Le Renard

Ask God.

I have... he is real and not a figment of someone's imagination.

Did you contact him by email?

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 23:07
Originally posted by The Guardian

I recently read a post saying that Gods existence is impossible, could people try and explain that please?  I would love to hear them prove it.

Nobody can prove that "Gods existence is impossible"; unless we give a very narrow definition to "God" and "existence"

Edited by Neoptolemos
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 23:45

Maybe because these books were written, compiled, edited. added to, reedited, and all over a span of 2-3,000 years, by men?

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 00:08
Originally posted by red clay

Maybe because these books were written, compiled, edited. added to, reedited, and all over a span of 2-3,000 years, by men?

For sure another proof for there is no God.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 00:17

Originally posted by red clay

For sure another proof for there is no God.

So there are more than one proofs that there is no God. Damn, I must be really stupid to not be able to comprehent those proofs.
Maziar, even if you prove that all the known religions are wrong, that doesn't prove that there is no God.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 04:50
ofcourse there is a god it doesnt matter how you call Allah, Jesus ,Tengri, God ..... And the proof is big bang. All space become with a big bang and the god is the creator of that.  
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 07:59

Originally posted by Roadkill

-I'll have a stab at this. I do not like to divulge information from an unfinished work(My Manifesto on the stupidity of Religion) but just for fun I am willing to do so now.

-If God exists(I'm discussing monotheistic religion on this arguement though it can be applied to all) why is his existence geographically hindered? Take christendom for instance; if God exists why did the knowledge of him have to spread from the middle east? Why didn't an Indian(Native American to be PC) become a prophet? It's quite absurd that an omnipotent god would find a few mountains or a sea get in the way of his word... This is true of any religion and so it applies just as much to any religion.

-Let me wrap this one up with some words of wisdom from myself; To believe is never difficult. Choosing not to believe when everyone else does, that is difficult.

I fear your explanation is devoid of all logic for numerous reasons. What make you think "God" needs to initiate contact with man rather than the opposite.

Of course one needs to define God to get into this argument. Is God the Judaeo-christian God, then no such God exists.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 08:35
"I fear your explanation is devoid of all logic for numerous reasons. What make you think "God" needs to initiate contact with man rather than the opposite."

-Well, maybe it's because if he didn't they wouldn't know he existed. Do not pull my logic into question for it is completely sane. Even if man needed to initiate contact with God it would still not explain why that God was geographically challanged.

-Just an comment independent of your post: During this debate I've seen about eight new beliefs being founded. Everybody's going around saying "yes this is how "---------" works but I don't do this or that" in order to dodge an arguement. Either you're part of a religion or you're not so make up your minds people! I cannot argue against your own personal preferences as I cannot possibly know them. If you've custom built your own religion then i won't discuss it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:14
It can be proven that a secular, non-religious explanation for the existence of religion is to be preferred above a religous explanation, one that attributes the existance of religion to the exitance ofgod(s):

Let's assume that religion exists because god(s) exist.  Again there are two options. 1.) either all religions exist because of god(s) or 2.) only one religion exists because of god(s) and the others should be explained on a secular way. I think it's quite clear that option 2. is undefendable. That would mean that people use other standards to judge their own religion than they use to judge others, and there's no way one could justify that a priori.

So the other option is that all religions exist because of god(s). Again there are two options. Either A.) the god(s) of one religion, the one that is presumably true have caused all religions, including the ones that are not true or B.) every religion is caused by their own god(s) and is equally true. Again it is clear that option B. makes no sense. It is simply not possible for all religions to be true, because they contradict each other. It is for example not possible that both Christianity and Hindiusm are true. That leaves only option A, but that one makes no sense as well. This would mean that the god of, say Christianity, have also caused hindus to be hindu and muslims to be muslim. This of course is quite ridiculous, why would a god cause people to believe in non-existing gods? Apart from that, this is ad hoc and still doesn't prove one religion is true, because all religions can claim the same thing.

Sometimes people try to avoid all this by claiming that religion is outside reason, and that the existance of god(s) cannot be proven rationally. This is a postion that is also endorsed by most agnostics. This, however, means that you can't attribute any characteristics that can be observed empirically or rationally. This makes the word 'god' meaningless. So if you claim religion is extrarational, the phrase "God exists" is as meaningless as "Asdf exists".

in a scheme:

Originally posted by erkut

ofcourse there is a god it doesnt matter how you call Allah, Jesus ,Tengri, God ..... And the proof is big bang. All space become with a big bang and the god is the creator of that.  

and who is the creator of god?

Edited by Mixcoatl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>