Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mileva Maric - Einsteins Serbian love

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mileva Maric - Einsteins Serbian love
    Posted: 14-May-2006 at 11:40
MILEVA MARIC

From Wikipedia:

Mileva Marić was a Serbian mathematician, and Albert Einstein's wife. She was Einstein's companion, colleague, and confidante. Some have suggested that she may have contributed to Einstein's early research, or even have authored it entirely. The exact degree of her participation in his discoveries is uncertain, and is the subject of many polemics.

Biography

* 1875-12-19 Maric is born into a wealthy family in Titel, Serbia. She is the oldest of three children.

The family owns land, but is not a farmer family, even though some Einstein biographers claim this. (Clark 1981).

Shortly after her birth, her father ends his military career and takes a job at the court in Ruma and later in Agram (today Zagreb).

* 1886/87 High school for girls in Novi Sad.

* 1888 Changed to a school in Sremska Mitrovica close to Ruma. This school was equipped with excellent laboratories for physics and chemistry. (Trbuhovic-Gjuric 1983)

* 1890 Graduation. Mileva Maric's best grades were in mathematics and physics. (Krstic 1991)

Maric was accepted as a private student at the royal school in Agram. She received a special permission to participate in the physics class, usually only held for boys. (Trbuhovic-Gjuric 1983; Krstic 1991)

* Summer 1896 Maric studies medicine for one semester at the University of Zurich.

* Winter 1896 Maric starts studies in mathemathics and physics in Switzerland at ETH Zurich. This was the only University in the area to accept women for the final exams.

She is the fifth women to study physics at ETH, the only one in her year. During practical physics lessons, she gets to know Albert Einstein.

* 1897 Studies in Heidelberg, Germany (Theory of numbers, analytical mechanics, differential and integral calculus, elyptical functions, theory of heat, electrodynamics. (Trbuhovic-Gjuric, 4. Auflage 1984,

p.49, and ETH-Archiv der wissenschaftlich-historischen Abteilung)

* 1898 Back to Zurich. Intensive collaboration between Mileva Maric, Albert Einstein, Marcel Grossmann, Michele Besso.(Michelmore1968, p. 35, 36, 56).

* 1900 Mileva Maric fails Zurich Polytechnic teaching diploma examination, almost certainly because of her poor grade in mathematics. [The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Vol. 1, Ed. J. Stachel, 1987, p. 247]

* 1901 Mileva Maric becomes pregnant by Albert Einstein. It remains a secret. [1]

* 1901 Mileva Maric leaves ETH without a certificate, she does not continue her Ph.D. [2]

* 1902 Birth of Lieserl in Serbia, daughter of Mileva Maric and Albert Einstein.

* 1903 Marriage with Albert Einstein.

* 1904-05-14 Birth of son Hans Albert.

* 1910 Birth of son Eduard Tete. [3]

* 1913/14 Mileva Maric remains in Zurich with her children, her husband leaves for a new job in Berlin.

* 1919 Albert and Mileva are divorced. [4]

* 1921 Albert Einstein wins the Nobel Prize, gives Mileva Maric the money. She invests it into medical care for her son Eduard who suffers from schizophrenia. [5]

* 1948-08-04 Mileva Maric dies in Zurich.

Memorials to Mileva Marić

There are only three known sculptoral busts, and a few memory reliefs of Mileva Marić (mostly on houses where she lived). However, all of them are located in different towns only in Vojvodina, Serbia and Montenegro. The newest of the busts, one in her high-school town, Sremska Mitrovica, was placed in December 2005. One high-school in Novi Sad is also named after her.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 13:32
I have read so much about Einstein so I believe that his wifes,mathematicians,also contributed  for his theories of relativity:special and general.Mathematics is all around us!Big smileLove,love...mathematics.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 13:18
Originally posted by Mila

MILEVA MARIC

* 1898 Back to Zurich. Intensive collaboration between Mileva Maric, Albert Einstein, Marcel Grossmann, Michele Besso.(Michelmore1968, p. 35, 36, 56).
This I believe to be very significant, as Albert Einstein had done the bulk of his major work, I think, by the time he makes it to his 29th-30th birthday. So I certainly see where the idea of his wife being so significant has come from. This only strengthens my belief in her doing so. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
damjan039 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote damjan039 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 07:48
 You must see this
www.germangeniusmilevamarciceinstein.webs.com
damjan039 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote damjan039 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 07:48
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 09:50
Nice to see you here Damjan!Very nice link!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 11:05
Mileva Maric was very bright, her problem was that she was born a woman, and as most women in most times and places was robbed by opportunities to acheive what she could. Her marriage was her demise - because when most man marry, they marry to be taken care of, in very physical terms, and to have his kids taken care of, not to have intellectual conversations and let his wife be his real intellectual  partner. Maria Curie was just lucky to have an understanding husband, who saw her as intellectual partner, which is quite rare in world perspective.

Einstein wasn't a very attractive character as a human being, and treated her as a servant, with absolute and total lack of understanding and respect to her dreams and desires. She got used and thrown away like a piece of kleenex; history is rife with such female potential doing to the drain because of social restriction, gender bias, social expectations that require females to be constantly on the taking side and take care of others, etc.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Feb-2012 at 11:08
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 13:52
I have read somewhere she did differential equations for Einstein's theories!I believe He had been conquered by beauty and music.Milena played violin. 
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by medenaywe

I have read somewhere she did differential equations for Einstein's theories!I believe He had been conquered by beauty and music.Milena played violin. 
Yes, medenaywe, it is my belief this happened too, though I didn't know about the violin. This for me adds to the knowledge of her abilities. It angers me to think that she was used in the way she was, and probably even more so as I could never see myself ever using anyone in such a way.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 07:51
Given that she failed her maths at the polytechnic, it seems doubtful if she was really all  that brilliant.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 08:12
I knew about His passion about ladies:Beauty&Math&Music!All are connected with math:Beauty=geometry
Music=numbers&arithmetic algebra and math!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply