Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The New Founde Lande

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Founde Lande
    Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:25
Ulrich will be proud to know, every year tens of thousands of Icelanders visit the city (it's closer to London than Toronto, Newfoundland, because it's farther out in the Atlantic than maps usually depict) for shopping.

The flag of the Republic of Newfoundland (which it existed as until 1949) is today a symbol of Newfoundland nationalism and push for independence. Polls on television and radio shows always show more than 80 per cent support for independence from Canada.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 16:55
Wow, I thought Newfoundland was always part of Canada. I guess I was wrong!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:37
The New Founde Lande

Newfoundland and Labrador is one of my favorite places that I have ever visited. It is a predominantly Christian place but the Christian faiths get along well, most people don't even notice a difference between the various Christian faiths.

There is only one mosque in the capital city, which serves a predominantly Asian Muslim community as well as several hundred Bosnian refugees. The people consider themselves to be distinct from the rest of Canada, they only joined in 1949 and even then, they say, it was the result of a vote with 51% favoring union with Canada and a 118% voter turnout.

They are very proud, and it's very easy to see why when you visit. Truly 5 stars from me - beyond Istanbul and Turkey, I really don't have any other place I love as much.

I'll add more later.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply