Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most famous relatives of yours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most famous relatives of yours
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:31

Any historical figures you are certain you are related to? Warm fuzzy families from across time?

Heres my fuzzy wuzzy ancestor who I am directly descended from, Phillip Sheridan.  Im quite happy of course given his statements comparing hell favorablly with Texas and his destruction of the south with cavalry.  This is the Irish part of my family and as far as I know he was the first ancestor of mine on that side of the family born in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Sheridan

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:11

My very first historical relative was "oomba boomba"

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 16:37
My Great x4 Grandfather Andrew MacAskill was first cousin to the "Cape Breton Giant" Angus MacAskill. Andrew was a tiny 6'8".Wink

Mockup of 7'9" Angus and Tom Thumb

Edited by DukeC - 17-May-2006 at 19:25
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 18:49
I'm indirectly related to William Dampier; http://www.muffley.net/pacific/dampier/dampier.htm
Also possibly related to a raft of medieval nutters.
And related (very convolutedly) to Henry Morgan;

Theres somehting piratical about my family...Avast!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 20:13
Originally posted by Dampier

I'm indirectly related to William Dampier; http://www.muffley.net/pacific/dampier/dampier.htm
Also possibly related to a raft of medieval nutters.
And related (very convolutedly) to Henry Morgan;

Theres somehting piratical about my family...Avast!

You have some very adventurous ancestors Dampier.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 20:21

Im related to Ned Kelly, My dad knows the family line in which we are connected but I dont so he is all I've got to go on.

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:16
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:01
The Earls of Delvin and later Westmeath who fought Cromwell and later destinguished themselves at the Boyne

Edited by Paul - 17-May-2006 at 17:02
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
JJAnderson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote JJAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:18
Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry was my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather.  
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:43
Anne Seawell of black beauty fame but it is through marriage. She is my husbands great great great aunt or something like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Sewell
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 21:51
    Well, I really am actually related to the guy I named myself after. Because one of my last names (many last names because in Latin America we try to remember all of them thru marriage) is actually "Ponce de Leon"

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 00:07
Han-Chinese regard themselves to be "scions of Yellow emperor and Fire emperor".

My mother belong to the Zhang clan, whos ancestor Hui was the grandson
of Huang Di(Yellow emperor)

Hui
Hui is said to be the inventor of Chinese bow, he crushed rebellion of GongGong clan, helped HuaXia civilization under leadership of Zhuan Xu(Hui's cousin) to be dominant in China. His son Diku suceeded Zhuan Xu as leader of HuaXia.

My paternal ancestor came from ShanDong province, belong to the Jiang clan, ruling household of ancient Qi
state during "Spring&Autumn".

Jiang Shang(Zi Ya)

The land of Qi was rewarded to Jiang Zi Ya as fiefdom, whos guardian minister of first king of Zhou dynasty.

Jiang Xiao Bai

under Lord Huan, Jiang Xiao Bai's reign, Qi state became first chief state during "Spring&Autumn".

Wall carving of Han dynasty depicting the Lord of Huan of Qi and his able minister Guan Zhong

Lord Huan of Qi(right) and minister Guan Zhong(left) from TV series

Yan di(Fire emperor)

Jiang clan is the descendant of Fire emperor

Wall carving of Han dynasty depicting Yan di(shennong)

beside Jiang clan, many other clans regard the Fire emperor as the ancestor too
paying homage to the ancestor Yan di

Edited by The Charioteer - 23-May-2006 at 00:16
wefone90 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote wefone90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 04:02
I came from the Gao clan, probably related to the Gao Yi or something.
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 09:24
Dag Jennssen.......a mercenary Captain fighting for Christain the IV of Denmark in the Thirty Years War......he was killed  fighting in the battle of Lutter (Barenberge)  27 Aug 1626
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 09:35
Gundmundur Einarsson *1945 ,left his house in kevlavik at march 05th 1992 only to come back 6 hours later....see http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9745

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 24-May-2006 at 09:35

John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 13:57
Not any specific people, but my irish tribe is a tribe that raided Britain and Wales in the 5th century, yay im a sea pirate lol , my mums Dutch ancestry is mostly farming, but i trace my line through my father, so bugger the crops lets go raiding
My peoples tale is written in blood
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:36
my second knee cousin Barbora Kuklova played basketball for St.Joseph/Philly

I traced my family back to 1620. They were all farmers, nothing special.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:43
i think to most central asian it's genghis khan that dude has over 16 milion descendents right now Big smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:22
There is [ i think it's still there] a statue of one of my relatives somewhere in Charleston West Virginia.  A certain Capt. Lee[don't remember 1st name]  He is so honored because of his heroic actions in battle of Gettysburg.  He captured, singlehanded, 136 confederates, armed only with a single shot rifle. [ Anyone see where this going yet? Big smile] So impressed was the Army that they gave him a battlefield commission from priv. to capt. and sent him home a hero to raise another regiment.

In truth the man had just been thru horrendous combat and had seen 70% of his unit wiped out and he was headed home! In the process he encountered a group of confederates doing the same thing.  After some fireside discussion it was decided that the only way to keep from getting shot as deserters was for him to take them prisoner. When he objected he was made aware this, was an offer he couldn't refuse.  When the Northern press got a hold of the story it went right out with him as hero. The Army seeing an opportunity to use him as a recruitment tool went along with it.

Story as told by "Capt. Lee" to my Grandfather, ca. 1925        WinkBig smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 06:21
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>