Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most famous relatives of yours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Great Khan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Great Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most famous relatives of yours
    Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:16
The smallest brother of the monk Paisi of Xilendar(he writed history of the slavs and the bulgars before 300 years)
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 00:59
    [IMG]http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/346/antiottomans0bd.jpg">

The guy near the front on horseback is my great Grandfather, Tefik Pilkati. Leading an regiment near the Albanian city of Korca in an insurrection against the Ottoman Empire.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 11-Jan-2007 at 22:30
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 12:14

I had actually taken an interest in my family geneology last year and was suprised to find William Bonney aka "Billy the Kid" as a direct ancestor on my mothers side. Needless to say that this was very exciting for me, as I love old west history and "The Kid" was among the greatest gunslingers in American history and one of the most famous outlaws.

Edited by BMC21113 - 01-Aug-2006 at 12:17
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 07:04
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Too bad the village is only about 6000 inhabitants...
 There is not that many people who have a school named after them, even in tiny villages...

In fact, in Bulgaria, a village with 6000 villagers is a VERY BIG village. The normal numbers in Bulgaria are around 200 - 900 villagers nowadays. Villages with more than 1000 villagers are rare here.

Well, the Netherlands have a population density of 483 persons per square kilometer, in the area where I live it is 1100-5700 persons per square kilometer. So 6000 is a pretty small village...Big smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 06:26

No need to get personal, Q.... There is not that many people who have a school named after them, even in tiny villages...Tongue

6000 is more like a tiny town or big village, give credit where it's due. Common, having a school name after a person is a major accomplishment, be it at a village level or city level.

I was not dissing ye olde man. 
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 05:32

Too bad the village is only about 6000 inhabitants...
 There is not that many people who have a school named after them, even in tiny villages...

In fact, in Bulgaria, a village with 6000 villagers is a VERY BIG village. The normal numbers in Bulgaria are around 200 - 900 villagers nowadays. Villages with more than 1000 villagers are rare here.

Edited by The Chargemaster - 01-Aug-2006 at 05:34
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 03:58
No need to get personal, Q.... There is not that many people who have a school named after them, even in tiny villages...Tongue

Edited by Aelfgifu - 01-Aug-2006 at 04:39

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 00:31

My great grandfather from fathers side was a member of the village council and headmaster of the Catholic school. Both the Catholic school and a street in the village are named after him.
Too bad the village is only about 6000 inhabitants....LOL

Hehehehe, very impressive and famous ... at a village level.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 01-Aug-2006 at 00:40
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 17:47
General resident Nogues. I'm a direct descendant.

Vae victis!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 16:21
My great grandfather from fathers side was a member of the village council and headmaster of the Catholic school. Both the Catholic school and a street in the village are named after him.
Too bad the village is only about 6000 inhabitants....LOL

QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 15:41
My great-grandad was a soldier in the British forces during WW1 and fought in the battle of Ypres where the first gas bombs were used at only 19. He lost his right leg to a shrapnel injury and was discharged for the army in 1918.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:29

Amongst others, Gargoyle is related to the following.....

Francois Hannibal d'Estrees (b1573-d1670) Duke d'Estrees and Marechal of France.

Francois de Vendome, Duke de Beaufort. (b1616-d1669)

Jean d'Estrees II (b1624-d1707) Comte d'Estrees, Vice Admiral and Marechal of France.

Edited by Gargoyle - 13-Apr-2007 at 10:34
vizigothe View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote vizigothe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 00:43
On my mother's side I had a grandfather who was brigadier general in the US Civil War and was at most of the early battles.

Also on my mother's side is my Great Grandfather Hank Rigney who was a sportscaster, promoter of the Negro Baseball league and was one of the people who consulted Branch Rickey about bringing Jackie Robinson out of the Negro Ball league and into MLB. He was also Jesse Owens promoter after the Olympics and helped the Harlem Globetrotters with their promotions. I never met the man though he died well before I was born.

My father's side remains in obscurity. They just fought in just about every major US conflict up to Vietnam where my father just missed the lottery.
Mitze View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mitze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 15:20
My closest relative ho is famous is Iuliu Maniu, a romanian politician.
He diedm at Sighetu Marmatiei in 1946, killed by the Securitatea, irony makes it that my Grand_phater was a solider in the Securitatea in the Charpatian Mountains against the anti-comi guerillas!

Salut from Trannsylvania
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 08:30
Originally posted by DukeC

Originally posted by Dampier

I'm indirectly related to William Dampier; http://www.muffley.net/pacific/dampier/dampier.htm
Also possibly related to a raft of medieval nutters.
And related (very convolutedly) to Henry Morgan;

Theres somehting piratical about my family...Avast!

You have some very adventurous ancestors Dampier.

And we still are actually, much of my family is in the media travelling the world at various times, I have huge numbers of Australian kin and I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through visiting every country in Europe- mostly just the Eastern portions to go.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 11:14
My great-grandfather was the stable man of Ferdinand I King of Romania.

Edited by Menumorut - 15-Jun-2006 at 11:16

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 22:02
Like everyone else, my family had its share of genealogical pretensions and myths. But a couple of us actually did the genealogy. Coal miners, cartwrights, and soldiers; mostly illiterate, until the 20th century.
Bonaparte View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonaparte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 10:39
Sir Francis Drake

Also some vikings, but I don't think any famous ones. Im also half chinese but not too much is known about that side of my family.

"The theory is not the practice of war."

"It is not for an event to govern politics, but for politics to govern events."

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 06:13
Im dont know much about my family history, some of the last names have been anglicised/spelling changed so im unsure.

But sometimes internet sites tell me my last name is an ashkenazi Jewish one, i doubt it though.

mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 02:25
Adam and eve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>