Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"luk" in Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "luk" in Turkish
    Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:41
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Many is 'kop, kegen (or ken), choq, pek, qatiq' and a few more words which are not as frequent as formerly mentioned words.

'buyer' is 'satinalqan'. And the interesting thing is that 'chiq' (as a suffix) or 'chik' means 'few' and used to decrease a quality or quantity: 'oghlon chiq' (a very young child), 'oy chuk' (a very small house).

In Uyghur., Chong and Kichik are used for big and small. We also use Zor, Byk, Yksek with slight difference.

Interestingly, kckk is puppy.

Yash and Qeri are used for young and old.

For few, we use Az.

And different forms of (the orignal form) 'ermek' are:
e(r)mes= is not, are not.
e(r)ken= is, are
e(r)ti= was, were

Emes
Iken
Idi

are used respectively, which are the derived from ermek as you said.

'degil' is also used as negative form to mean 'is not' or 'are not':
koryaning kishi, Iltirish degil (the person you see is not Iltirish).

Is 'degil' used in Uyghur Barbar?

Never, we only use Emes for negative form of a sentence without verb.

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:49
Originally posted by Tangriberdi

Siler is used just as an address in Anatolia.  At the verbs used with sizler ve make the endings as in siz.
The Sentences in Turkish as in order you listed
 Eve giriniz.
Geldighiniz i鏸n chok teshekkurler.
Chok is many
Bu kitabi satin alanlar chok mu?
Fazla(Arabic) and pek (bek in Uygur?) are much.
Bu fazla oldu.
Onun parasi pek yok
We use Hayli(quite) from Persian.
Epey is quite
Olancha is quite, as much as
Looking forward to more you can send.

Teshekkr is also used in Uyghur.

Fazla, never heard of.

Yoq is for none.
Uning balisi yoq. (He doesn't have children)

Heli and helila are used for quite. Obdanla is also used.

Oghlingiz obdanla chong bolup qaptughu! (Oh, your son has quite grown up)

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:31

The difference between 'choq' and 'chong' is just like the difference between 'kok' (Uyghur) and 'kong' (Turkmen) when you're referring to sky (gok is used to say the color; although 'mawi' is the correct form).

Kuchuk is puppy in Turkmen too. 'Young' is 'yash' or 'yigit', but we add the suffix 'ri' to say 'qarri' which means 'old man'. 'Eski' is old. And 'qari' is 'foreign(er)', as in 'tash qari' (other than).
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 07:20
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

Actually, we have some of our most basic words from Luwian language (Lycian, Paphlagonian etc.) For example "Ana/anne" in Turkish (ha闑a in  Lycian, Lydian, Hittite, anna in Paphlagonian etc.) means mother. And "baba" means father. Smile 

BTW, do you know what is the origin of the name "Emrah"?

I agree with Basibozuk.

So far you have yet to prove this theory of there being a strong native anatolian influence on the Western Turkish dialect. Your trying to prove your hypothesis is baceless since in Mandarin the word baba (爸爸) is used for father in an informal manner (also in Cantonese). Along with the information given by our Uygur brother that they also use Baba it makes far more sence that we have a direct link from the Turkic and CA regian then that of Asia minor.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 11:42
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

Actually, we have some of our most basic words from Luwian language (Lycian, Paphlagonian etc.) For example "Ana/anne" in Turkish (ha闑a in  Lycian, Lydian, Hittite, anna in Paphlagonian etc.) means mother. And "baba" means father. Smile 

BTW, do you know what is the origin of the name "Emrah"?

Found something interesting today when i read the history of the the province afyonkarahisar. While i whas reading about the castle of Afyon, i've learnd the name of the hitit king who did let contruct that castle is (in Turkish pronounced) "Mrsil". Now i have a nephew, his name is "Mrsel" LOL can there be any connection or something with Mrsil and Mrsel?

Bu ne ya, benim adim Kenan amcaoglu var Mrsel, daha neler cikacak bakalim LOL

Edited by DayI - 14-Jun-2006 at 11:44
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 04:51
I just wanna play a word game, never take it seriously.

Mre in (Uyghur) Turkic means shoulder.

El means homeland.

Elning Mresi means the shoulder of the motherland.

It can be said as Mresiel or Mrsel, for lınguistical convenience, which is common in Turkic.

il and el can be interchanged easily. So Mrsel can be Mrsil. Smile

minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 03:35

In Hungarian, "Isten" means God and "luk" means hole.

Just thought Id throw that in since Hungarian and Turkish share many words.
I still wonder how "Istanbul" came up with "Istan".
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by minchickie

In Hungarian, "Isten" means God and "luk" means hole.

Just thought Id throw that in since Hungarian and Turkish share many words.
I still wonder how "Istanbul" came up with "Istan".
Isten and Luk do not sound similar.
Istanbul is a corrupt form of Islambol. It means The place where Muslim is abundant.
Islam, you know
Bol means abounding, abundant

However some people say that When Turks first came close to Costantinapole, they asked a villager about the name of the city. But they spoke Turkish so the Greek villager did not understand what they said and then replied Is tin polis, (I am going ) to the city. So Turks thouht the name of city was Istinpolis. And this become to be Istanbul.

I think this is stupid. 
That cannot be possible. Turks came so close to Istanbul and they had not known the city name .
That is nonsense.
Turks before taking Istanbul called it as Arabs had done. Kostantiniyya

Edited by Tangriberdi - 06-Jul-2006 at 13:13
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:24
[[/QUOTE]
Isten and Luk do not sound similar. [/QUOTE]

Where does this come from? LOL

Edited by minchickie - 06-Jul-2006 at 13:26
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:32
NO actually Istanbul derives from East Anbul.Now, one might think where the hell the West Anbul is but that's another story.(I assume it's somewhere in the Balkans)
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 14:22
Yuk... c'mon boys . get serious!!! Ha?
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 15:21
yeah. let's get serious! Let's get back to Islambol!
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 15:34

That was what I knew. If you know something else, say it.

I just replied a question.
But remember that our topic is not Istanbul..
-luk is our topic. And related and similar things.

My magyar friend you misunderstood me.
I meant both of Isten and Luk do not sound similar to me. But each of them does not , not to each other.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 11:54

"Iste" in Uyghur turkish means looking for something with desire, it is different from "izde" which is simply looking for.

"Istek" means desire, hope.

Is it related to the meaning of GOD( or Turkic Tengri), I think there is some relation.

Luk in Hungarian just reminds me the Uyghur word Bulaq (spring), we describe the way the water coming out from the hole of the spring as "Bulduq-bulduq".

The people are really, really stupid to say that the Turks didn't know the name of the capital city of the east Roman Empire before their conquest.

Istanbol as we learnt even from Chinese history book originally was Islambol, means the city with Islam.

ijjas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ijjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 14:32

Originally posted by barbar

"Iste" in Uyghur turkish means looking for something with desire, it is different from "izde" which is simply looking for.

Isit related to the meaning of GOD( or Turkic Tengri), I think there is some relation.

Luk in Hungarian just reminds me the Uyghur word Bulaq (spring), we describe the way the water coming out from the hole of the spring as "Bulduq-bulduq".

The people are really, really stupid to say that the Turks didn't know the name of the capital city of the east Roman Empire before their conquest.

Istanbol as we learnt even from Chinese history bookoriginallywas Islambol, means the city with Islam.

My etymologic ditionyary says about the word boldog= happy, that it has unknown origin. May be this is an amateur dictionary
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 14:53
Originally posted by barbar

Is it related to the meaning of GOD( or Turkic Tengri), I think there is some relation.

Istanbol as we learnt even from Chinese history book originally was Islambol, means the city with Islam.

In Anatolian Turkish istek is wish, desire
istemek is to wish, to want, to desire
Bulaq is little spring
I agree the thing you say about Istanbul. It derives from Islam bol , Muslim abundant
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:02
Found something interesting today when i read the history of the the province afyonkarahisar. While i whas reading about the castle of Afyon, i've learnd the name of the hitit king who did let contruct that castle is (in Turkish pronounced) "Mrsil". Now i have a nephew, his name is "Mrsel" LOL can there be any connection or something with Mrsil and Mrsel?

that castle was built by hittits? I didnot know anyone know who built it (I asked it more than one at afyon.)
ijjas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ijjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:05
In hungarian: var=castle. Sbdy from the castle is: var-i.
Inside of the castle is: var-ban. We should expect, that sbdy from inside of the castle is: var-bani, but contrary we say: var-beli(bel,zsiger=enteric). The plural form, for peoples from inside of the castle is: var-beliek.
But this is too sofisticated, and realy amateur.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 21:40
Welcome Magyar Baratom!  Tongue
(Welcome my Hungarian friend)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123