Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"luk" in Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "luk" in Turkish
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 22:35
I was wondering what exactly it meant. The word has passed down to us Albanians but I tend to think we use it to a different context. I know Turks call us Arvanuts and Albania Arnavutluk, which makes me think it means something along the lines of "istan" is Persian. But in Albania we use it a bit differently, for instance someone from say the region of Skrapar is called "Skraparlok" detoniting a Person from Skrapar. its also used as a way to demean you and the area your from. For instance calling somebody a "skraparluk" would actually be demeaning to him for coming from that area.
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:29

It is a suffix(-lyk, -lik, -luk, -lk and corrupted form of its is -ly, -li, -lu, -l) which makes nous from adjectives and with the corrupted form it makes adjectives from nouns.

So Arnavut means Albanian and Arnavutluk means Being Albanian, The place belonging to  Albanians, Albaniandom, Albanianship, Albaniannness. Or like this.

Istanbul, where you know. Istanbullu means one from Istanbul. Inhabitant of Istanbul. One dwelling in Istanbul.

In Turkish Isvicre means Switzerland Isvicreli means one of Switzerland, one from Switzerland, belonging to switzerland.

In Turkish biber means pepper. biberli means something  containing pepper, with pepper

Su> water, Sulu>Watery, containing water and with water.

It is a really productive suffix.

Trk means Turk, Turkish

Trklk means Being a Turk, Being Turkish, Turkishness.

Hristiyan means Christian,  Hristiyanlyk means Christianity, Christendom, Christian world.

I hope, now you can understand it.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 12:38
Arnavutluk:

1. Albania

2. Being an Albanian

Tangriberdi, I think Theodore Felix was talking about the first meaning.

Edited by barish
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 06:40

Istanbul, where you know. Istanbullu means one from Istanbul. Inhabitant of Istanbul. One dwelling in Istanbul.

Actually, the "li" suffix in Turkish has a total mystery of origin. It may either be a corrupt version of an original Turkic suffix, or a foreign one.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the "li" suffix was also used for the same meaning in Hittite language. For example the name "Hattushili", the Hittite king who fought Ramses II during the Battle of Kadesh, means "the one from the city of 'Hattusha'", just like we still use it today. I wonder how that suffix and many Hittite words have survived until modern days...

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:32

In Uyghur Turkish we use "liq, lik, luq, luk" for "from", like Qeshqerliq, Aqsuluq, Hotenlik, Bugurluk. They only have a meaning of "from". I think this demeaning resulted from one place of people's opinions towards other people from different region. This has nothing to do with the original language formation.

Either make a history or become a history.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by barbar

In Uyghur Turkish we use "liq, lik, luq, luk" for "from", like Qeshqerliq, Aqsuluq, Hotenlik, Bugurluk. They only have a meaning of "from". I think this demeaning resulted from one place of people's opinions towards other people from different region. This has nothing to do with the original language formation.

Hmmm should it be like this then:
in english: "Mahmud from kashgar"
in Turkish; "Kashgar'li Mahmud"
in Uygur(?); "Kashgar'lik Mahmud" <-- is it correct?
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 21:58
You are right, we say Qashqerliq Mahmud for "Mahmud from Qeshqer".

But that scholar is called "Mehmud Qeshqeri" as it's a pen name, just like Uzluq Al-Farabi, Ehmed Yukneki, Alishir Nawai etc due to Islamic influence.  

You can also say for "I'm from Qeshqer":

Men Qeshqerliq.
Men Qeshqerdin.

They have the same meaning with a slight difference. The first can be answered to "Siz (sen) nelik(qayerlik)"? the latter can be answered to "Siz (sen) nedin (qayerdin)"?

Either make a history or become a history.
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 12:13
So this linguistic difference between our languages proves that my hypotesis seems to be true...Smile

Edited by Bashibozuk - 17-May-2006 at 12:14
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:23
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Actually, the "li" suffix in Turkish has a total mystery of origin. It may either be a corrupt version of an original Turkic suffix, or a foreign one.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the "li" suffix was also used for the same meaning in Hittite language. For example the name "Hattushili", the Hittite king who fought Ramses II during the Battle of Kadesh, means "the one from the city of 'Hattusha'", just like we still use it today. I wonder how that suffix and many Hittite words have survived until modern days...

What you say above is not entirely true. It is a derivative of old suffix -luq/-lk,/-lyq, -lik. Pick any of them in accordance with the vowel harmony.
I will take the  -luq.
-luq is the oldest recorded form.
In other texts  and inscriptions closer to our day. It has the forms of -luq>-lug> -lugh>-lu.
it has nothing to do with the hittite. They are irrelevant. Because until 17th c. there was no -lu or -li in Turkish spoken in Turkey. It was -luq or-lik  in all cases. From then on it has been corrupted somehow now we have li lu etc...
You know there is no difference in rahmetli or rahmetlik in meaning. It is a dialectal difference of utterance.

MY UYGHUR BROTHER, LUQ in UYGHUR TURKISH and LU in TURKISH SPOKEN IN TURKEY ARE THE SAME IN ORIGIN. BUT ANATOLIAN ONE IS CORRUPTED ONE:
That is all.

Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

I am repeating myself.
What you say is not entirely true. It is definitely a corrupt form. This has been a proven fact since all the texts and inscriptions confirm such a development in Anatolian Oghuz Language.

Make sure that it is definitely a coincidence. It has nothing to do with Hittite language. They did not. We have almost no words which are Hittite in origin. This is just ridiculous. How can you say that Hittite words survived although they did not. Give me examle if any of them did, and still used in Anatolian Turkish.
That is a refutable claim. Nothing else.

AND MY UYGHUR BORTHER.
The aforesaid suffix is the same as in your Turkish language.  The one in our Turkish language is the corrupt form . That is all.

Edited by Tangriberdi - 20-May-2006 at 04:51
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:23
[

Edited by Tangriberdi - 20-May-2006 at 04:50
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:35
[

Edited by Tangriberdi - 20-May-2006 at 04:52
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:14
Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

Actually, we have some of our most basic words from Luwian language (Lycian, Paphlagonian etc.) For example "Ana/anne" in Turkish (hana in  Lycian, Lydian, Hittite, anna in Paphlagonian etc.) means mother. And "baba" means father. Smile 

BTW, do you know what is the origin of the name "Emrah"?
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 16:04
Not actually , neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.
Emrah? I know this name but I have no idea about its meaning.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 16:12
Emrah Saz alıp oynayan
 emrah means He who plays the saz and dances.
 I think it's old turkish or turkic
i got i from this urlhttp://kimim.com/anlamsoz/anlamlar/isim/eisime.htm

btw In iranian father is baba also right?

Edited by xi_tujue - 28-May-2006 at 16:14
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:07
neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.

So why does our relatives in Central Asia use the word "eje" for mother and "ata" for fother unlike Anatolian Turks? Is this also a coincidence or evolution of words, what do you think? And these words, baba or ana, are neither loaned from Arabic, Persian, Greek or any other. Because you cannot change such fundemental vocabulary of human life by simple loaning. The first words which a baby learns after his birth are these words, which are originally Luwian words, which are Turkish words, but not Altaic words.

Edited by Bashibozuk - 29-May-2006 at 11:09
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:21
I agree with Bashibozuk on the Ana-Baba issue. There is no traces in Altaic etymology about Ana-Baba, I have checked it. But as Bashibozuk said, we have a strong proof that they are of anatolian languages origin.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:26
What whas the meaning of the name "Sibel"? Whasnt this name an "anatolian" God or something?
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.

So why does our relatives in Central Asia use the word "eje" for mother and "ata" for fother unlike Anatolian Turks? Is this also a coincidence or evolution of words, what do you think? And these words, baba or ana, are neither loaned from Arabic, Persian, Greek or any other. Because you cannot change such fundemental vocabulary of human life by simple loaning. The first words which a baby learns after his birth are these words, which are originally Luwian words, which are Turkish words, but not Altaic words.
ana is Altaic, can be found also in Hungarian as a heritage from Old Turkic.
Yes ata  means  father but remember that in many Turkish dialects baba is used for grandfather.
I mean Baba can be non Altaic but Ana is definitely.
Baba should be of an Indo Aryan origin.
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:04
I mean Baba can be non Altaic but Ana is definitely.

It is IE by origin, or maybe Hattic.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:29
so what does Emrah mean? it sounds semitic to me
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>