Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean war
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 15:34

bigtoothbrush, you obviously have an interest in and an enthusiasm for history, why dont you put it to good use. You have an incredible resource right at your fingertips here, you should use it to expand your view.

bigtoothbrush View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:34
if you have point, just make it.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 18:55

Originally posted by shayan

Can someone please explain this cartoon for me its about a conflict but i dont really understand it and who are these man in the pictures?

I believe its Truman helping divide Korea with Stalin (using Mao) while Macmillan (the British PM) stands by without wanting to help. But I'm not sure...

Bigtoothbruch, I believe he's saying that AllEmires is a great resource as there are so many educated, intelligent people on here and you might want to use that.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:08

that's why i come here. and everyone has the same intention.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:04

Originally posted by bigtoothbrush

if you have point, just make it.

YOU HAVE A VERY NARROW VIEW OF HISTORY!!!!!!!

there, how's that.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 20:22

lol then you are historian?

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:45

lol then you are historian?

Enough of one to understand the limited knowledge base you're operating from. Try putting in some time to understand how complex these conflicts you're discussing with such confidence really are. There are other, much more informed threads on this subject on the forum.

All I'm suggesting is why don't you actually learn something instead of trying to prove how much you already know.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 06:23
i'm not trying to prove anything. but it seems someone has been trying to prove how educated and intelligent he is and hope veryone to praise and study from him.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 06:31
what about the turkish brigade at kunuri?  they where important no?
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 06:48
thanks dempier.
Iran parast
Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 07:21
just look who commanded UN troops and which nations took charge to make negotiations with china. they were the most important.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 08:24
Originally posted by Dampier

Can someone please explain this cartoon for me its about a conflict but i dont really understand it and who are these man in the pictures?

I believe its Truman helping divide Korea with Stalin (using Mao) while Macmillan (the British PM) stands by without wanting to help. But I'm not sure...

Bigtoothbruch, I believe he's saying that AllEmires is a great resource as there are so many educated, intelligent people on here and you might want to use that.

The point I think is to show how the Korean war was being used by Stalin to divide the US and Britain, who had different views on what relationship should be established with China. The British figure is I think Eden, not McMillan, since Eden was Foreign Secretary at the time. I don't know who the fourth figure is supposed to be - Trygve Lie, the first UN secretary General? Dag Hammarskjold?

I'd be interested to know the date of the cartoon, and the source.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 08:38

this one makes sense now.

in the first korean war negotiation when chinese troops successfully captured seoul, PRC offered term that wanna replace ROC as permanent member of UNSC. both britain and france were apt to agree this term and would like to stop the war earlier. while america only admited to let PRC into UN, but as a normal member. the ROC could still stay on its position. this just show the bifurcation between america and britain at that time.

Edited by bigtoothbrush
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 09:10

this one makes sense now.

in the first korean war negotiation when chinese troops successfully captured seoul, PRC offered term that wanna replace ROC as permanent member of UNSC. both britain and france were apt to agree this term and would like to stop the war earlier. while america only admited to let PRC into UN, but as a normal member. the ROC could still stay on its position. this just show the bifurcation between america and britain at that time.

At the time of the Korean War, the UK was still in a bad way from the effects of WW II.  There were enormous debts, rationing of many food items as well as other important materials up into the 1950s before Britain recovered.

The Brits were also beginning to dismantle the empire, had fewer resources available to them for overseas commitments, and probably wanted the whole thing to go away.  For the US, the Second world War and the result destroyed any fantasy about isolationism.  We no longer had that luxury.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 10:17
lol actually america is a big actualist. they didn't meet china's demand at that time, but they changed opinion soon after soviet threat became more and more serious. they not only adimit PRC's UNSC permanent membership, but also kicked ROC out of UN at last. 
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 12:36

i'm not trying to prove anything. but it seems someone has been trying to prove how educated and intelligent he is and hope veryone to praise and study from him.

lol

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 12:39
29 january 1951 is the year thanks  gcle2003 could you tell who the american guy is?
Iran parast
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 15:51

29 january 1951 is the year

that's a little puzzling. At that time the Labour government was still in power in the UK and Attlee was Prime Minister with Ernest Bevin as Foreign Secretary. The British character looks nothing like either.

thanks  gcle2003 could you tell who the american guy is?

Well it's not the Secretary of State Dean Acheson - the English character looks more like him

So I guess it's Truman.

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

[

The Brits were also beginning to dismantle the empire, had fewer resources available to them for overseas commitments, and probably wanted the whole thing to go away. 

True of some, probably. But you forget how naturally belligerent the British are. Nothing like a good war to take your mind off domestic troubles.

Anyway Britain had nothing to worry about. From 1951 to 1953 I was in the army.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by gcle2003

True of some, probably. But you forget how naturally belligerent the British are. Nothing like a good war to take your mind off domestic troubles.

British army? Or Luxembourg Army?

As for naturally belligerent.....hmm, Chamberlein and appeasement.Wink And as Pikeshot mentioned Britian was in position for any kind of war even to overshadow domestic troubles...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 06:49
Originally posted by Dampier

Originally posted by gcle2003

British army? Or Luxembourg Army?

British. I didn't move to Luxembourg till 1986.

As for naturally belligerent.....hmm, Chamberlein and appeasement.Wink 

Very much resented by the average Briton, except for those who saw it as a way to get more time for re-arming. I meant the British people, not British politicians or the chattering classes.

In general the British had been spoiling for a fight with the Red Chinese ever since the Yangtse Incident surrounding the sloop Amethyst.

And as Pikeshot mentioned Britian was in position for any kind of war even to overshadow domestic troubles...

Since when did considerations like that stop the British fighting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>