Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPomaks - a history of forcefull assimilation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pomaks - a history of forcefull assimilation
    Posted: 10-May-2006 at 12:00

While many in this forum condemn the "forceful" assimilation against the Christians during the Ottoman period and complain of the horrible Muslim Yoke, the faith of the Muslims after the capture of the Balkans by the Christian states remains largely untold.

I open this thread in the hope to raise awareness of the brtual and savage assimilation camapign undertaken against the Pomak population of Bulgaria in 1912 as told by the Bulgarian Human Rights Helsinki Comitee in their 2003 report. 

Pomaks may have been the first Muslim victims of a mass a conversion attempt in the Balkans, but they were certainly not the last. For 70 years later, the Communist regime in Sofia would undertake another campaign of mass conversion against the 1-million strong Turkish population, and 85 years we would be a witness of a more brutal campaign against the Muslims -  the Srebrenica Genocide.

History must not be forgotten for it will always repeat itself.

Here is a passage dedicated to the plight of the Pomaks:

Sadly, not only organs of the state, but also ordinary citizens of ethnic Bulgarian background cherishing nationalistic ideals, participated in the unfortunate 1912-1913 conversion. Exposed to violent attacks from all sides, 8,000 Pomak Muslims inhabiting the Chepelare area gave up resisting and were converted within 10 days in January 1913.[1] By December 1, 1912, 12 Pomak Muslim villages from south-western Bulgaria were entirely Christianised, among which Kornitsa village (with 250 families), Zarnevo village (50 families), Lajnitsa village (200 families), Breznitsa village (200 families), and the villages Teshovo, Tarlis, Obidim, and Dobrinitsa.[2] The number of converted and ruined Muslim villages grew to 33 as of December 20 the same year, or a total of 21 Christianised villages for only 19 days.[3]

Although broadly and persistently promoted, the voluntary Christianisation thesis did not convince many. However, what transformed the forced conversion into a mere act of brutal savagery was the fact that it was left dependent on undisciplined soldiers, growing fiercer in the situation of war. Thus, Pomak villages were pillaged and burnt and their population after being subjected to all kinds of wilful abuses left scattered, hungry, homeless and deprived of its faith. Such was the fate of the Muslims from the villages of Karshilya (with 130 houses), Smilyan (220 houses), Palas (350 houses), Syochuk (180 houses), Taran (110 houses), Topuklu (160 houses), and Alamidere (35 houses) a total of 1,100 destroyed houses and the same number of scattered families in the short period between December 1912 and early January 1913.[4] These villages were burnt to the ground, because they were accused of getting into contact with the Turkish army and helping it[5], which was the natural course of things since the Rhodopes area was still an Ottoman territory, and the Pomak Muslims loyal subjects to a state in which they had legal rights.

One Stefan Shishkov, a commander of Ustovo village (Smolyan region), described the reality of the Balkan War in Bulgaria as follows: The country is in a state of total disorder. Banditry and plundering are reaching unparalleled dimensions.[6] This particular moment, when the subjects of the state would be exposed to abuses much greater than in times of peace, was chosen by the state with the knowledge and approval of the King and the Orthodox Church[7] - as the  the opportune moment[8] for Christianising the Pomak Muslim population in the Rhodopes.

Immediately following the conversion, the government and the Orthodox Church started franticly to transform every available shack into a church or school, in which converted Muslims were exposed to the brainwashing effect of constant nationalistic and pro-Orthodox Christianity indoctrination. However, while the authorities were taking extra care to Bulgarianise the Pomak Muslims, they ignored their most essential needs to feed, dress, and shelter the population. As a result of the plundering and burning their homes during the Christianisation ventures, the converts were left bare, starving and destitute. Twenty to thirty people shared a single house.[9] Here is how one Stoyu Shishkov describes the poverty of the Rhodopes Muslims: I am witnessing rare and glorious historical events[10], moreover, [I am] face to face with unheard of and unseen misery. Five to ten families semi-naked, hungry, exhausted are cramped in musty, half-ruined shacks, without even so much as a tin utensil for water and cooking.[11]

Clearly in similar desperate conditions and in times of war abandoned to the mercy of an unruly army, the Pomak Muslim population could not resist long in defending their fundamental right to freedom of conscience and religion. It is not hard to believe that in such conditions some Pomak Muslims chose to convert before the perspective of starving to death or dying imprisoned or beaten. However, neither could such conversion be called voluntary, nor could claims of the kind they gladly converted or were happy to come back to their old faith[12] in the course of a few days be uncritically accepted by a reasoning mind. First, because no logical reason could be found to explain such a massive and rapid conversion[13] except fear caused by exceptional violence or the total indifference of utterly destitute population, which is even worse to assume. Second, there exists archive evidence, which confirms the forced nature of the 1912-1913 conversion.[14]

Source: http://www.bghelsinki.org/special/en/2003_Muslims_fm.doc

Edited by bg_turk
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 14:59

the brtual and savage assimilation camapign undertaken against the Pomak population of Bulgaria in 1912 

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 04:37
Probably that's irrelevant, but in Greece, after the (inhuman) military barrier around the pomak areas fell, we're trying to make the pomaks form a 'national' identity of being Agrianes, an ancient tribe of the area, that fought with Alexander in Asia. The base of this is that the pomaks call themselves 'Ahran' or something. From my experience pomaks seem actually to be muslim Bulgarians, who at some point converted to islam.
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 06:08
For God's sake,bg_turk,don't start again!

Are you not bored to death with talking for the 1000th time about the same thing?
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 08:47
The sad thing is that such a behavior is still going on, in countries that intend
to get in the EU.

Check http:/www.hrw.org

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:12

Originally posted by xristar

Probably that's irrelevant, but in Greece, after the (inhuman) military barrier around the pomak areas fell, we're trying to make the pomaks form a 'national' identity of being Agrianes, an ancient tribe of the area, that fought with Alexander in Asia. The base of this is that the pomaks call themselves 'Ahran' or something. From my experience pomaks seem actually to be muslim Bulgarians, who at some point converted to islam.

I agree that Pomaks have slavic origins and that they were Bulgarian converts to Islam, but whatever the reason for their conversion, today the great majority of them no longer consider themselves Bulgarian, especially so given the assimilatory policy of the BG state against them.

Concerning their ancient origin, I believe it is fiction. A pomak friend of mine was trying to sell me that same theory that they were ancient people that existed even before the Turks came on that land... I laughed but who knows?

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:18

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

For God's sake,bg_turk,don't start again!

Are you not bored to death with talking for the 1000th time about the same thing?

Guys, if you have nothing constructive to offer I'd like to ask you to refrain from making stupid general statements in this thread.  Not only are they general but also wrong. Th Pomaks not been discussed before - at least not in a seperate thread exclusively dedicated to them.

We discussed the pomaks and their origins with Charge in the BG part of the section, and I wanted to carry the discussion here as well for the benefit of the English speakers, since Greeks and Turks whose countries also have large populations of pomaks might be able to contribute as well.

Edited by bg_turk
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:20

Originally posted by bg_turk

I agree that Pomaks have slavic origins and that they were Bulgarian converts to Islam...

Finally... Hey everybody, guess what - someone finally managed to convince bg_turk in something, contradicting his initial beliefs. A major diplomatic success indeed. Congratulations to us all.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:23
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

the brtual and savage assimilation camapign undertaken against the Pomak population of Bulgaria in 1912 

savage and brutal it certainly was. I came accross a quote from one of the Bulgarian generals of the time who calls for the "forceful crusade" for the "religios revival" of the pomaks, and that all those that resisted conversion must not be spared. I will post it as soon as I find it again.

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:30

savage and brutal it certainly was. I came accross a quote from one of the Bulgarian generals of the time who calls for the "forceful crusade" for the "religios revival" of the pomaks, and that all those that resisted conversion must not be spared. I will post it as soon as I find it again.

Pomak and Macedonian Slavs were subjects of the Bulgarian empire before the Ottoman conquest and in this sense yes they might have been considered Bulgarian. But this notion of "Bulgarianness" has nothing to do with the modern nation-state of Bulgaria, and the vast majority of Pomaks today do not consider themselves Bulgarian - Bulgarian citizens maybes yes, but ethically Bulgarian certainly not.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:05
I didn't know that Turkey has pomaks. How many are they?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:27

Originally posted by xristar

I didn't know that Turkey has pomaks. How many are they?

I do not know the exact number, but many of the Pomaks after the capture of their lands by the Christians states chose to leave rather than put up with the assimilatory policies.

Here in the UK one of my neighbours is Turkish, and I was quite suprised when she told me she was actually Pomak, but she does not speak any Bulgarian whatsoever. I suppose here parents left for Turkey quite a long time ago and they never used Bulgarian ever since.

Actually, when I suggested that her ancestors could have spoken Bulgarian she was quite offended.

Edited by bg_turk
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:16

Here in the UK one of my neighbours is Turkish, and I was quite suprised when she told me she was actually Pomak, but she does not speak any Bulgarian whatsoever. I suppose here parents left for Turkey quite a long time ago and they never used Bulgarian ever since.

Actually, when I suggested that her ancestors could have spoken Bulgarian she was quite offended.

Obviously assimilated by the Turks

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:16

Their number is unknown like all other minorities, but it is only a name, there are not much people in turkey differentiate a pomak or turk.

So I wont call them as a different ethnic, at least in Turkey, but they have slav roots.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:17
Digenis arent all of us asimilated by someone?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:27

Originally posted by Digenis

Obviously assimilated by the Turks

Nonetheless there is a critical difference. An assimilation which was achieved willingly and not forcefully, unlike the one in Bulgaria.

I do not mind voluntary assimilation which is an ineveitable consequence of the cohabitation of a two different people, in fact I am partly assimilated into Bulgarian culture, and the Bulgarians in my region are partly assimilated into Turkish culture (I know you like chalga guys), but what I strongly object to is the forcefull, violant, oppressive type of assimilation which was employed by the Bulgarians in the beginning of the century. Many pomaks were forced to convert under pain of death. Many pomaks were forced to convert under pain of death. Forced into churces and baptised under gunpoint. Their Muslim names have been replaced with Orthodox ones. It was an assimilation attempt whose purpose was the culturual and religious annihilation eradiaction destruction of the whole pomak ethnos and its incorporation into the homogenous sea of bulgarian orthodox chrisitians in order to consollidate the territorial integrity and unity of the state.

In any case I would have preferred if Turkish Pomaks had preserved their language. There is no bigger threat to the ethnic diversity and richness of the Balkans than blind national shauvinism.

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:30
Originally posted by Mortaza

Their number is unknown like all other minorities, but it is only a name, there are not much people in turkey differentiate a pomak or turk.

Certainly Pomaks are ethnically distinct from the Turks.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:36

Nonetheless there is a critical difference. An assimilation which was achieved willingly and not forcefully, unlike the one in Bulgaria.

The Bulgarians perhaps did what the ottomans must have done when converting all these people to Islam.Forcefull assimilation by the Bulgarians,forcefull conversion by the ottomans??
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:43

Certainly Pomaks are ethnically distinct from the Turks.

They are, but as you said before, you cannot differantiate a turk and pomak. She is a pomak, but you though she is turk.

Culturally they are same with turks. Pomak mainly settled western Turkey, and I am sure difference between a western turkey turk and pomak is much more less than an eastern turkey turk and western  one.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:48

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

The Bulgarians perhaps did what the ottomans must have done when converting all these people to Islam.Forcefull assimilation by the Bulgarians,forcefull conversion by the ottomans??

It is wrong to generalize that all Bulgarians supported this campaign. Some saw it as a shameful act, the Liberal party gained the sympathy of many pomaks by promising to restore their names.

Concerning the "forceful" conversion during the Ottoman period the evidence is inconclusive and such a theory is mostly supported by nationalist Balkan historians in order to justify their own more recent crimes. Pomaks were not forcefully islamized, they accepted Islam mostly for practical reasons such as exemption from taxes and in order to gain higher priviliges in the empire due to the wide-spread discrimination against the Chrsitians. Besides the central Ottoman authorities never had any interests in assimilating the local Chrisitan population because that would mean a loss of tax revenue. The acceptance of Islam by the Slavs might have had some degree of compulsion but it is certainly wrong to compare this gradual assimilation over many centuries with the Bulgarian acts in the 1912 and 1970s which involved chrisitanizing overnight by baptizing them at gunpoint, forcing muslims to eat pork, cramming into churches, tearing womens shalvars away - or if you resist meet your death. Despite all of this though Pomaks have remained largely muslim and their spirit has remained unshaken which commenable. 

Edited by bg_turk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>