Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tajiks in Eastern Turkestan (Xinjiang Uyg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Uyghur Oghli View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tajiks in Eastern Turkestan (Xinjiang Uyg
    Posted: 08-May-2006 at 19:30

There are 33,000 Tajiks in East Turkestan (E.T.). Most of them live in the Tashkhurgan Tajik Autonomous County. Some live in Yarkend, Yopurgha, Kharghilikh and Guma counties.

Tajik language belongs to the Pamir branch of the Iranic Language Group of the Indo-Euoropean language family. Tajiks in E.T. generally use Uyghur alphabet.

They look more European than the Tajiks in Tajikstan or even Persians in Iran.

春到帕米尔

塔吉克新娘

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 19:34
Uyghurs in E.T.:

Edited by Uyghur Oghli
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 19:52

I don't know what the relevance of what you said there is, and your perception of Europeans seems somewhat flawed, the pictures you posted have show strong Sino-Turkic admixture, like other Tajiks.

Edited by Zagros
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 20:14
What I'm saying here is that perhaps because of their relative isolation (they live high in the Pamir plateau) than the rest of the Turkic inhabitants of the region, Tajiks here retained most of the physical traits of the original Indo-Euoropeans in the area. If you compare these pictures to those of Tajiks in Tajikstan or in Uzbekstan, you will see clear and distinguishable physical differences. Also, look at their traditional headdress. I don't recall seeing same features in Tajiks at the other side of the Pamir.

Please also note that the pictures in the 2nd post are those of the Uyghurs.

Edited by Uyghur Oghli
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 12:14
Their Tajiki Persian language indicates that they have not been isolated for all that long (maximum 1000 years).  I have seen Tajiks from all over (Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Afghanistan) who look similar.

Edited by Zagros
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 00:45
Originally posted by Zagros

I don't know what the relevance of what you said there is, and your perception of Europeans seems somewhat flawed, the pictures you posted have show strong Sino-Turkic admixture, like other Tajiks.

Its that giant inferiority complex he's hiding. 

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 00:50

Originally posted by Uyghur Oghli

What I'm saying here is that perhaps because of their relative isolation (they live high in the Pamir plateau) than the rest of the Turkic inhabitants of the region, Tajiks here retained most of the physical traits of the original Indo-Euoropeans in the area. If you compare these pictures to those of Tajiks in Tajikstan or in Uzbekstan, you will see clear and distinguishable physical differences. Also, look at their traditional headdress. I don't recall seeing same features in Tajiks at the other side of the Pamir.

Please also note that the pictures in the 2nd post are those of the Uyghurs.

Actually you can find Tajiks in Tajikistan wearing the same kind of headdress.  Also the nomadic Tajiks that occupy Tashkurghan, Badakhshan also wear a similar headdress.  That similar headdress is also worn by fellow Uzbeks, and even the Aimaq Turks in Afghanistan.

There is a fusion, especially in Badakhshan of Afghanistan between Tajiks and Uzbeks.  Sometimes its hard to tell one from the other as their culture is almost identical and most can speak Persian.  The Tajiks of China speak mostly a Turkic language.

Here are some different ethnic garbs from different regions of Afghanistan:

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 05:00

Very interesting & beautiful costumes.

Are there any similarities to the costumes of the ancient Persians?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 07:04
Yes... and modern ones. Kurdish women's dresses are also very similar.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 07:08

kurdish/ghashghai style
gilani style

kurdish/ghashghai style
 gilani style

Also various pictures in this link with traditional clothing.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10142&am p;KW=parade

Edited by Zagros
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 22:26
I camped in Tashkorgan for about 4-5days.  It was the best time of my life, took a 4 hour hike up to Muz Tagh Ata, I never walked to hard in my life.  We met many mountain climbers up there from all over the world, even some from just a couple towns away from my home here in New Jersey.  During a really bad hail storm some Uygur nomads invited us over to their ger for some bread and milk, one of the women there...her grandfather migrated from Turkey to Tashkorgan, East Turkistan during the Ottoman Empire, she's part Turkish and part Uygur.  I'll post some pics of me in Tashkorgan later.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 22:45
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 22:47
-Ziya Gokalp-
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 22:50
Yes that's me on the horse above.  The picture of the two tents next to the car is the spot we camped at the whoe time.  The gers next to that is of some random nomads we crossed.  The pictures on the very right are of a village of semi-nomads, where I met the Turkish/Uygur woman.
-Ziya Gokalp-
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 23:55

Thanks Uyghuroghli for these beautiful pictures.

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 00:05
Originally posted by Afghanan

Originally posted by Zagros

Its that giant inferiority complex he's hiding. 

What's this freaking out guys?  He is just trying to say that these people have preserved their racial and cultural originality due to the special geographical location they are habitating.

Zagros, what do you mean by "Sino-turkic"?

bigtoothbrush View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote bigtoothbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 00:53
What's "Sino-turkic"? We have nothing to do with them. Chinese people don't look like that, but this... http://www.shanghaining.com/contests/beauty/gallery.php?voti ngMonth=200507 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 05:29

I used it because I didn't want to say Mongoloid; the area has been settled by many various people and they have all left their legacy.

BTW: I didn't freak out.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 22:18

You could have used scientifically correct term Turanoid.

If you think there is obvious Chinese influence, then you are wrong. Chinese migration is just recent event. Islam and their rich culture has been keeping Uyghurs from intermingling with Chinese.

Edited by barbar - 18-May-2006 at 11:26
Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 10:32
Originally posted by bigtoothbrush

What's "Sino-turkic"? We have nothing to do with them. Chinese people don't look like that, but this... http://www.shanghaining.com/contests/beauty/gallery.php?voti ngMonth=200507 

They are also Chinese people, they might not be Mongoloid but they surely are Chinese. I hope u did not make that statement on purpose. It was bordering Han chauvinism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>