Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which one is easier to read in your langu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which one is easier to read in your langu
    Posted: 06-May-2006 at 15:11

In Persian language, 1,000 years old texts are usually very easier than  100 years old texts, what about your language?

One of the first poems that Iranian students learn in the primary school is this 850 years old famous poem of Nizami Ganjavi:

Ey name to behtarin sar-aghaz
Bi name to nameh key konam baz

(O, Your name is the best beginning
Without Your name, when would I even open a letter)

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 15:34
With Croatian it's easier to read texts from a 100 years ago. By that time there was a unified grammar and spelling, before that everyone went their own way in writing.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 16:27

Definately newly written.
In Denmark and Scandinavia, 1000 years ago, the written text was runes - if not Latin written by scholars.
Until the middel of the 18'th century, there were no rules for spelling - things would be written like the writer said it, so words could look quite different because of local dialects. Also, the use of Gotic letters makes it difficult to read for most people.

Icelandish is the closest we can get to the old norse language - none - or almost no other language could influence the isolated island.
The interesting part is - I cant understand Icelandish - but I can read it and get a fairly good conception of the content.

Swedes, Danes and Norwegians can understand each other - in speech and in writing.  

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:25
More new ones.Ancient Hellenic ,especially those in poems and epic stories such as Odyssey ,are much more difficult than more new ones.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 14:33

There are four major forms of the Greek language.

THe Homeric Greek , the Classical Greek , Medieval Greek and the Modern Greek. The most dificcult in the understanding and the comprehension are the Homeric. Absoloutely you need higher level of education. The last two are more easy to read and to understand  general the meaning.

Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 17:32

We Turks -if we have the knowledge of Arabic script- can read texts from 1700s and understand a few words. Because it is full of Arabic and Persian words.

We Turks -if we have the knowledge of Arabic script- can read texts from 1500 and before until 1300s  we can understand 90% although its gramar is a little bit different.

We Turks -if we have the knowledge of Arabic scriptand Orkhun Runic Script - can read texts from 1200s and earlier times and we can understand 50% because its grammar is more different although it is the same in basics.

AN EXAMPLE

Modern Anatolian Turkish: Sylediin sz  anlamyorum.

Middle Anatolian Turkish: Syledik szin'i an'lamazWn.

Karakhanid Turkic: Sylegen szin'ni tshinmesmen

Kokturkic: Reconstructed Sentence): Szlegen szin'ni tshinmezmen/Sablagan sabwn'w tshinmezmen

Meaning I do not understand what you say.

Transliteration:The word thou hast said of I do not understand

Edited by Tangriberdi
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:14

Modern Turkish is very close with the Turkish, spoken all over Anatolia by its locals for the last 1000 years. The folk literature was always oral, not provided by written sources. And it is very easy for us to understand a poem of Yunus Emre, Haji Bektash Veli or a Karamanoglu firman.

A poem of Shah Ismael Khatai of Safavids is much more easier than a "Divan" poem of Nab or Fuzul for us. But actually, Divan language was only understandable for the elites who were educated in medreses, who were fluent in Turkish, Arabic Persian and some even Greek. They actually constituted %2-3 of the people, and reminding the fact that %95 of Anatolia was illiterate before the Language Reform, so that it didn't change much for us.

But the real problem occurs when we are to translate Ottoman official documents to modern Turkish. The Kanunname of Sultan Mehmed II is easier for us to understand than late Ottoman documents which were more foreign influenced and more complex. They are full of Arabic vocabulary altough the main form and vocabulary is definately Turkish.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 16:16

Greek
Homeric language :800 BC:
understand mainly words,rarely whole phrases
Classical Attic dialect 5th Cent Bc :
understand more words ,and phrases-quiet understandable by the educated mainly
-but still some phrases can sound really strange.
Koene-the language in which the Gospels where written-1 cent AD:
Understandable by most of the people-even the non-educated,although u cant use it to speak.
Medieval Greek - 1000 AD.:
Since the Byzantine period ,scholars use a more "formal" language-imitating the ancient attic of 5th cent,while the common people use the evolution of koene(kini).
The peoples language is almost 100% understandable (although some words sound weird,or are unknown)

Next centuries ,the formal language becomes the "katharevousa" (smth like "clean") ,and the informal the "demotiki" ("public") -
"Katharevousa" sounds souless and sometimes funny ,while demotiki is more vivid.
This separation oficially ended in 1974,with adoption of demotiki in education and government.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:08
I tried once to read the Alexiad of Anna Komnene ,which was written in the 12th century A.D.,but it was very difficult for me to understand the meaning because the syntax was weird and strange like in ancient Greek/attic dialect.

Then I decided to read the Strategikon of Kekaumenos which was written in the 11th century A.D. and i realised that the language was very similar to the demotiki that we speak today.The syntax was not like in the Alexiad.

The second book obviously was written in the language of the common people and was aimed to be read by non-educated people like generals and officers of the army.It was like a manual written by an experienced general as a guideline to the new officers of the Byzantine army.

On the contrary the Alexiad was written in an archaic language by Anna Comnene,a historian

Edited by RomiosArktos
RomiosArktos of many colors and shapes
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:32
The Meshari, a transcript written in latin alphabet in Venice around the 16th century is the oldest surviving work in Albanian and is damn tough to understand for me. Its very very latinized. Similarly I have tried to understand dialects like Arvanitik(heavy Greek influence) or Arberesh(heavy Italian influence) and they too are extremely difficult. The Albanian works in the Arabic script are damn near impossible even in the latin alphabet as they are filled with an emmense amount of Persian, Arabic and Turkish words(most of which were taken out of the Alb vocab during the communist period). Another problem is that Albanian has never been united in terms of alphabets, during the 19th century as many as 10 alphabets were being used in the land. All changing and morphing the language with it.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 06:59

Later texts are easier. The main problem was that the latin alphabet did not fit to the Hungarian phonemes.

Example:

Funeral Oration from 1195 (The first existing text in Hungarian)

Original text:

Latiatuc feleym zumtuchel
mic vogmuc. sa pur es chomuv uogmuc. Meni milostben
terumteve eleve mv isemucut adamut. es odutta vola neki
paradisumut haz.

Modernized version with modern letters:

Ltjtuk feleim szmtkhel,
mik vogymuk: is, por s homou
vogymuk. Mnyi milosztben
termtev elev mi ismkt
dmot, s adutt val neki
pradicsumot hzo.

In Modern Hungarian:

Ltjtok, feleim, szemetekkel,
mik vagyunk: me, por s hamu
vagyunk. Mennyi malasztban
teremt kezdetben [r] mi snket,
dmot, s adta vala neki
paradicsomot hzz.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

In Persian language, 1,000 years old texts are usually very easier than  100 years old texts, what about your language?

One of the first poems that Iranian students learn in the primary school is this 850 years old famous poem of Nizami Ganjavi

what about this text from Gatha in Avestan lang. Cyrus, can you read it?

"pad weh-den owon paydag i Ohrmazd balishtig pad hawishp-agathih ud-wethih zaman i akanarag andar roshnih hame bud. An roshnih gah ud-gyag i Ohrmazd, Ahrimen andar tarigih pad pas-danishnih" (Gatha: Yasna, 21.)
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 14:20
Avestan and Persian languages are two different languages, as far as I know the Gathas are a set of 17 hymns, what do you mean by "Gatha: Yasna, 21."?!
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 00:13
Yasna is consists of 72 chapters. the qouted passage is from chapter 21. you can find a website with Yasna texts and translations, and of course keep in mind that I had to rewrite it in Latin alphabets, so some spellings might differ.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
korena View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote korena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 09:51
Hi, my name is Renata.

Will you please send me the whole poem (if you have)

Ey name to behtarin sar-aghaz
Bi name to nameh key konam baz (its easy to read farsi this way :)  )

I would like to know the English Translation
We just started to read it om my Farsi lesson and I really like it.
Please,
thanks for advance,
Renata

Post Reply Post Reply