Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of the Bosnian Highlands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of the Bosnian Highlands
    Posted: 13-May-2006 at 19:35
Yes Simeon
Sorry my bad
Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 17:08

Most of you seem to be overlooking an engagement fought three years earlier, when Tomislav beat the Magyar tribes so badly they never crossed the Drava river again.  Considering the Magyars were at their peak at that time, it is a testament to the strenght of the Croatian army. 

I don't see why everybody is writing off Porfirogenet as exagerating. The Byzantine intelligence network was one of best in the world at that time, and considering that after the fall of Bulgaria Croatia became a neighbour to the empire, knowing the strenght of it's army was of vital interest to the Byzantines. I don't see how they could be so off in their asessments, or why Porfirogenet would want to put false information in his book about that subject.   

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by Maljkovic

...or why Porfirogenet would want to put false information in his book about that subject.   

Croatia - newfound ally, Bulgaria - strong eternal enemy.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 06:58
In Porfirogenets time this was all ancient history. Croatia was a neighbour of the Byzantine empire and a potential enemy just like any other. And his book was meant solely for his heirs to read, not some Croats who may be flattered by Porfirogenets compliments.
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 09:16
Well, as for the magyars Simeon defeated them too.
Correct me if I'm wrong-
The initial magyar invasions of Northern Bulgaria proved almost unstoppable and caused havoc in the country.
The situation changed complatly when Simeon turned his full strenght against them, defeating them several times and, actually, leading a merciless camapign. The magayrs migrated around (and trough) the northern bulgarian tzardom to what is this days Hungary.

As for the battle itself, the numbers seem rather exaggerated. Even at Acheloi in 917, which was probably the largest (or at least among them) battle in Europe during the Xth century there were in total around 100-110 000 soldiers. It's doubtfull that Tomislav could gather such a force, even if Croatia was very powerfull at the time.

Oh, and about the Byzantine-Croat relations- remember that there was almost a century between the fall of the First Bulgarian Tzardom, when the two coutries became neighbours, and the Battle of the Bosnian Highlands. Despite it's ability I doubt that the byzantine intelligence could predict things in such a time span... especially considering that at te moment Bulgaria was by far the most powerfull state in the region.
Unity makes Strenght
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 23:21
may I have a few suggestions

the title itself should be more descriptive, and understandable, "bell ringing" to wider audience which usually does not know what the Bosnian Higlands is, eg.,
Tomislav the Croat - Simeon the Bulgarian Battle of 925, or similarly ...

could someone, probably the person who started the theme,
describe, in details, family background, and relationships of both rulers,
alliances, political, economic and climate conditions of the times, etc.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 23:49
Originally posted by svantoVID

may I have a few suggestions

the title itself should be more descriptive, and understandable, "bell ringing" to wider audience which usually does not know what the Bosnian Higlands is, eg.,
Tomislav the Croat - Simeon the Bulgarian Battle of 925, or similarly ...

could someone, probably the person who started the theme,
describe, in details, family background, and relationships of both rulers,
alliances, political, economic and climate conditions of the times, etc.

Sounds like anothe homework helper post... you posted the same topic somewhere else...

The Byzantine intelligence network was superb, however, exagarations were common, maybe his army was around 100, 000 that is 60, 000 less, and still a substantial force, considering he held sway over tribal entities that made up his kingdom such a number sounds plausible. He had noblemen, and clans to call upon from Slavonia, Dalmatia, Vrhbosna/ Bosnia proper, Bosnian Krajina, and Hercegovina. That whole area had a population of maybe 1.5 million. Just the slavic clans would be able to muster much of that number.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 22:00
simeon was his monastic name, what was his real name ?
simeon's mother was maria ? were was she from ?
what was the name of simeon's first wife and were was she from ?

who was tomislav's mother ?
who were tomislav's grandparents ? including maternal ?

on which side were magyars and pechenegs ?

croatia-rascia-bulgaria relationships ?

preslav bulgaria vs preslav(grad) = pressburg = bratislava ??
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 04:00
The croat army won thanks to the hilly terrain and at the end they didn't get anything the border remained the same so this battle isn't of any serious significance.
Tomislav would never stand a chance waging a prolonged war against the First Bulgarian empire anyway he had nor the manpower nor the recources needed.Not to mention that the Bulgar armies were already battle hardened from the successful wars of Simeon I against the Eastern Roman Empire.Any objections welcome.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 02-Jul-2007 at 04:05
jermanicus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jermanicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2015 at 03:41
Well it might make sense the tomislav had no interest in simeons lands. Who knows what the social or economical situations of his kingdom were. but it probably was enough to just defend and call it a day. Really wish i was there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12