Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 9 most influential empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 9 most influential empires
    Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:05
I am looking a list of the top 6-9 most influential empires .  This is for a class I am looking to create for juniors and seniors in high school who have a decent background in world history.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:14

six to nine of the most influential empires:

Chinese *, Islamic/Arabic, Persia *, Ottoman, Rome, Greece*, Egypt*, British*, French*, Spanish*.

thats ten, i guess you can choose one to throw out.

* = from begining to present.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:23
Persia * = Persia
because not so influential 1800-present

Chinese * = Chinese
same as Persia. However, will be influential

Egypt* = Russia/USSR
 self explanatory

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:31

Originally posted by mamikon

Persia * = Persia

Chinese * = Chinese

Egypt* = Russia/USSR
 self explanatory

no, persian culture is still dominant in many parts of central asia and the caucasus.

this is about most influential empires ever, and china, persia and egypt have been influential for thousands of years, and their cultures, with the exception of greece, still have an impact on millions of people around the world.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:46
These are the 8 most influential empires, IMO, in chronological order:

Achaemenid Empire - (first true empire)
Roman Empire - (first western empire)
Han Empire - (first stable chinese empire)
Muslim Empire - (largest empire so far in history, rising culture in religion)
Tang Empire - (similar role as above, but in the east)
Mongol Empire - (largest land empire in history)
Spanish Empire - (first truly global empire, colonization)
British Empire - (largest sea empire in history, english language)

Other Notable Empires:
Egypt, Assyria, Hittites, Mauryan, Macedonian, Sassanids, Song, Holy Roman Empire, Timurid, Seljuk, Ottoman, Safavid, Mughal, Ming Empire, Russian Empire, Qing Empire.

The above can also make a claim as most influential, so that's plenty of empires to chose 9 from.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

Originally posted by mamikon

Persia * = Persia

Chinese * = Chinese

Egypt* = Russia/USSR
 self explanatory

no, persian culture is still dominant in many parts of central asia and the caucasus.

this is about most influential empires ever, and china, persia and egypt have been influential for thousands of years, and their cultures, with the exception of greece, still have an impact on millions of people around the world.

persian culture now arabic culture.not dominant. in 1000 years ago maybe

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:12
Hi,

Before giving you my list, I'd like to stress two points out.
a) What is an Empire (defently your first lesson in my opinion)? A system
of domination based on a smaller political entity that extends its power
over its traditionnal boundaries through violent and/or economic means
(and cultural maybe). I'd add for a fairly long period of time (in that sense
IIIe Reich is not properly an empire).
b) There are much much more than 6 or 9 Empires, what would be
interesting in these you'll pick is to choose them as different one from
another as possible.

Sorry for this pedantic (but not too much I hope) introduction. Here is my
list.

1 Sumer (more than the Egyptian empires because they have less chances
to hear about it somewhere else in their studies).
2 The classical visions of empires: the land (Perian empire, Spartan and
Alexander) against the sea (Phenician, Athenian and Rhodian's ways of
empire).
3 The roman idea of empire from the Republic to 1918 (Augustus,
Byzance, the Ottomans, the Arabs, the pope, the HRE, the western
European kings: emperors in their own lands). History of the concept not
of the reality.
4 The Chinese ways of empires.
5 Ghngis Khan and sons or India: a country without an empire?
6 Something very PC such as: Bantou and Zoulou empires or the natives
pre-colombian empires (anyhow would be an interesting non-Euro-Asian
point of view.
7 The Portugese and/or Spanish and/or Dutch colonial empires.
8 The English Empire 19-20th century (or the French one or both).
9 The USA (a new form of empire? a comparison is to be drawn with
USSR).

Here are some other ideas: the power of belief: are religions empires?; are
the medieval commercial diasporas empires?, city-states, nation-states
and federal-satates: against the empire

Bye. (enjoyed the topic).
I am a free donkey!
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:15
 iranian can you describe this dominant influences of persian empire at present?Now the only certain effects of iran are religeonal(especially on raq) and petrol-price effects
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:20
1-Roman empire
2-Ottoman empire
3-British empire
4-Hittite empire
5-persian empire
6-Seldjuk empire
7-slam empire

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:31
(In terms of Influence on history, I think some kingdoms should be in the list as well. So here is my list.)

1   The kingdom of Israel (the root of ethics and faith of the world)
2   Ancient Egypt
3   Ancient Sumeria
4   Ancient Babylon
5   Ancient Greek city states    
6   Rome
7   Spanish Empire
8   British Empire
9   USA

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:47

Originally posted by finikis

iranian can you describe this dominant influences of persian empire at present?Now the only certain effects of iran are religeonal(especially on raq) and petrol-price effects

Originally posted by merced12

persian culture now arabic culture.not dominant. in 1000 years ago maybe

well, besides influence on oil and shia islam, iranian culture has been integrated into modern societies from china all the way to turkey, and the western world.

for one thing, the ottoman empire is a great example of iranian culture. until ataturks pan turk ideology came to turkey and wiped out most of the influence of arabic and persian on turkish culture, the cultural language of the ottoman empire was persian, and the turkish language was full of arabic and persian words.

many cities and countries in the world today have places with iranic names that have survived for hundreds of years. the best example of these are in the caucasus, iraq, and central asia.  and the stan which follows the names of the central asian countries is also iranic, as well as the name azerbiajan, iraq, and countless cities.

iranian culture and language was not only spoken by people of different ethnicity from turkey to china, but also adopted as the official languages of several empires, some of whose legacies still remain in central asia and india.

iranian poetry is also read and admired in many parts of asia outside of iran, afghanistan, and tadjikistan.

and we all know of nouroz right, which is celebrated all over asia. iranian culture has also affected both christianity and islam, as well as many other pagan religions.

now for the west:

the west has inherited many things from Persia which were passed on through the greeks/romans and muslims.

these include the modern political organisation (states/provinces, governers, etc...)

human rights (from the book written by Xenophon about the first human rights declaration, which was a must read for all european politicians in europe during the 17 and 18 hundreds) and religous tolerance.

poetry (the most famous being Rumi and the Shahnameh by ferdowsi)

science (biruni, ibn sina, and many others...)

math (khwarizmi, better known as al jabr)

and many many other things.

and not to mention that Cyrus the Great is mentioned in the jewish torah and the old testament, which is read by hundreds of millions of people. this has not only caused christians to name their children cyrus, or darius, but has also given them some knowledge of persia.

infact, if you ask me, Iran, china, egypt, greece and the european world (including USA, australia, etc...) have given more to the world than any other culture/empire.

unfortunatly after the arrival of pan turkism, the governments in central asia and azerbaijan are begining to change history like ataturk to bring about a sense of nationalism. and like turkey has gotten ridden most of its outside influences these countries will probably do the same, and they will forget their pasts and only learn the new history writtern by their governments.

Edited by Iranian41ife
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 18:48
f we ignore empires also we can add wars which had big effects on history for instance results of troy war on anatolian ethnic structure, has changed by greek movement to eagean coast.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:34

until ataturks pan turk ideology came to turkey and wiped out most of the influence of arabic and persian on turkish culture, the cultural language of the ottoman empire was persian, and the turkish language was full of arabic and persian words.

It is of course true that Ottoman culture, and Turkic cultures in general had huge Persian influence, but there are two very big mistakes in this sentence:

1. Ataturk was not pan-Turkist. He was a Turkish nationalist. He didn't give a rat's ass about the 'Turks' in Central Asia.

2. Cultural language in the Ottoman language was not Persian. It was Ottoman Turkish. 

and we all know of nouroz right, which is celebrated all over asia. iranian culture has also affected both christianity and islam, as well as many other pagan religions.

Pagans everywhere celebrate the spring equinox (what you call Nourouz). This is not because Persian cultural influence reached Siberia and America, but because this event can be observed all around the globe.

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:38

i think iranian31 didnt saw a pan turkist.

16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:39
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

It is of course true that Ottoman culture, and Turkic cultures in general had huge Persian influence, but there are two very big mistakes in this sentence:

1. Ataturk was not pan-Turkist. He was a Turkish nationalist. He didn't give a rat's ass about the 'Turks' in Central Asia.

ok, learned something new. well, his turkish nationalism wiped out almost everything that wasnt turkic, and the things he couldnt wipe out he just changed history to make it seem turkic.

2. Cultural language in the Ottoman language was not Persian. It was Ottoman Turkish. 

cultural language was persian, political was turkish, and religious was arabic.

Pagans everywhere celebrate the spring equinox (what you call Nourouz). This is not because Persian cultural influence reached Siberia and America, but because this event can be observed all around the globe.

the way you celebrate is what makes it iranian. and nevrus (i believe thats what turks call it) is just a variation of the word norous.

just like christmas. the way the christian world celebrates christmas is actually from the german influence (like decorating a tree).

Edited by Iranian41ife
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:44
Civilization is not the same thing as empire. A civilization may span many empires. An empire may be the produce of many civilizations.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:46

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Civilization is not the same thing as empire. A civilization may span many empires. An empire may be the produce of many civilizations.

yea, i would agree with you but this guy is look for empires so there are no other options but to post empires.

question: can you change the class curriculum from empires to civilisations or do you have to do empires?

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:50

````cultural language was persian, political was turkish, and religious was arabic````

any source?cultural language mostly arabic not persian.

16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 19:53
persian culture now is a arabic culture.my eyes saudi arabia iran bahrein sames.
16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 20:06

Persian has been a major literary and cultural language in an area stretching from Mughal India to Central Asia, parts of the Caucasus and the Ottoman Empire.

http://www.postgraduate.leidenuniv.nl/index.php3?m=1&c=4 51

The Ottoman Divan poetry tradition embraced the influence of the Persian and, to a lesser extent, Arabic literatures. As far back as the pre-Ottoman Seljuk period in the late 11th to early 14th centuries CE, this influence was already being felt: the Seljuks conducted their official business in the Persian language, rather than in Turkish, and the poetry of the Seljuk court was highly inflected with Persian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

The Ottomans modified the ghulam system by instituting the infamous devshirme, in which young Christian males between the ages of 8 and 15 were removed from their villages in the Balkans to be trained for state service. The youths were brought before the sultan, and the best of themin terms of physique, intelligence, and other qualitieswere selected for education in the palace school. There they converted to Islam, became versed in the Islamic religion and its culture, learned Ottoman Turkish, Persian, and Arabic

Knowing the Ottoman way meant being completely at home in the high Islamic tradition. It also meant being fully trained in Arabic and Persianlanguages that were, along with Turkish, the constituent elements of Ottoman Turkish, the language vehicle of all Ottomans

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761553949/Ottoman_Empire .html

900, Samanids rule in eastern Persia and borderlands of Turkistan; Turks are exposed to Persianate Islamic culture; preparation far incorporation of Turks into main body of Middle Eastern Islamic civilization

c.1000 , Ghaznavids establish rule in Afghanistan, break Samanid power, and expand into Persia below Oxus River; champions of Sunni Islam within a predominantly Persian cultural context

1071-1300, Anatolia witnesses swift military penetration, ragged political conquest, partial and superficial cultural/linguistic conquest by Muslim Turks who, in their upper ranks were carriers of Persianate Muslim culture. That group was small in number but powerful . Below them, Turkish-speaking Muslims mix with indigenous population. Folk culture and folk religion often at odds with high culture and Islamic orthodoxy represented by the religious and political elite in the society.

http://www.turizm.net/turkey/history/ottoman.html

also, the islamic culture at the time was iranian. only when reading the koran and other religious activities was arabic used.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>