Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ernest Hemingway fans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ernest Hemingway fans?
    Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 16:18

Hello,

i wanted to learn what is  the AE point of view on Ernest Hemingway.

how would you rate him?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 17:12

Rate?  on a scale of?

I have always enjoyed his prose - he wrote from his heart about the things that he knew - he was one of the best of the "autobiographical" novelists - certainly at the top of his class.  His works reflect not only his devotion to the craft of writing, but his strong emotional attachent to the subjects that he chose - hence his ability to evoke such strong emotions in his audience.

My favorite (for the time being) is "Islands in the Stream"

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 22:21
I've read some of his stuff, and what I've read I've enjoyed, he seems very eloquent and profound, yet comprehendible.
Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:39
I have a book of a few of Hemmingway's short stories, but typicly have not yet goten round to reading it.
From what i renember of hom from literature class, he was fairly good to read.
Arrrgh!!"
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 17:24
Ok i'm so sorry but there are few books that I truely hate - The diary of Anne Frank, The day of the Triffids, and anything written by Steinbeck or Hemingway particulairly- Of mice and Men and A farewell to arms.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 22:17

America has provided me with the right to elocute opinions without legal reprisal, and therefore I shall.

As an avid reader, I've read a number of Mr. Hemmingway's works and I find him really very overrated, if you don't mind the redundancy. Many would disagree, but this is my opinion and I stand by it. This, and the fact that he was an abusive alcholic, with a gangrenous disposition, sours his presentation for me.

faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 15:12
I've only read "For whom the bell tolls", very good.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 15:43
The old man and the Sea:.   I hated this book to the core.

The Sun Also Rises  This is one of the BEST books I have ever been forced to read...

My reaction is mixed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 11:43

Dawn : Why The Diary of Anne Frank?

Post Reply Post Reply