Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Romans today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Romans today?
    Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 19:13
Originally posted by Praetorian

Well I was born in Puerto Rico and I am Roman descendent, the family name goes back to Roma in 150 B.C.  

Ah, so it's true. I have heard that many Italian immigrated to Puerto Rico, I didn't know it was actually true.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 19:52

will actually , my recent ancestors were from Spain.

Ill tell you more about my family history later because I got go right now.

By the way your right their were Italian immigrants to Puerto Rico because I have some family members in Puerto Rico that are Italian descendent

Edited by Praetorian
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:03
Originally posted by Serge L

Paris was the main center of culture in Europe (and it's still Europe's biggest city)

no, europes largest city is Moscow, followed by London, don't know where Paris is, but it's aroudn the same with Berlin and most other european capitals.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:28
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Serge L

Paris was the main center of culture in Europe (and it's still Europe's biggest city)

no, europes largest city is Moscow, followed by London, don't know where Paris is, but it's aroudn the same with Berlin and most other european capitals.

If you include Paris's greater metropolitan area, than Paris is bigger.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:28

Well, Temujin, it really depends on your definition of "city".

If you mean city in the strict sense, with historical and/or officially defined borders, you are right.

The rank of European cities is:

MOSKVA (Moscow) Russia
LONDON UK
St Petersburg Russia
BERLIN Germany
MADRID Spain
ROMA Italy
KIEV Ukraine
PARIS France

In this sense, the largest city in the World is Seoul, South Korea, with 10,231,000 inhabitants.

However, if you would consider (as I did), not only the people official borders, but,  also the Urban areas (also known as "urban agglomerates" or "great cities" etc.), Paris becomes the largest European city,, with 9,319,000 inhabitants, followed by Moscow (8,538,000) and then London.

In this sense, the world largest city is New York, USA, with 21,199,000 people.

My data come from this UN related site:

http://www.citymayors.com/features/largest_cities.html

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:34
uh? what about mexico city? i always thought mexico city is the largest city of the world...
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 01:54
Close second, after NYC, in the "Urban areas" ranking. You did not have a look at my link, did you?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 01:11

Frankish and Longobardic assimilation are the same!

We are talking about a strong minority group imposing their will over devastating Roman territories. The Franks and Longobards assimilated my cultural characteristics of their host country but the host populace adopt the identity of their elite.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 04:38
Everyone of you has a wonderful point of view. But in all aspects we all came from one Holy Father. You can argue all that you want, but that is the plan and simple truth. The Romans were a breed of human race as were all of us.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 06:40
Originally posted by paramerion

Frankish and Longobardic assimilation are the same!

We are talking about a strong minority group imposing their will over devastating Roman territories. The Franks and Longobards assimilated my cultural characteristics of their host country but the host populace adopt the identity of their elite.

Italy was a damn mess of small kingdoms. the nation didn't even exist! How the hell do you expect them to identify themselves as "Italians"?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:09

Italian in the nominal demographic sense rather than the MODERN national sense.

AssyrianGuy7 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 13:54
I once heard that Southern Italians originated from Mesopatamians.  Has anybody heard of this.
"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
(Isaiah 19:23-25)
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 15:54
Never heard of it. The closest thing was Accadic language student G. semeraro who believe most word of Indo-European languages can come from Accadic (a Mesopotamic language, as you certainly know, including Italy (from Atalu, meaning "land of long shadows") and Europe (from Erepo = West) 
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 11:04

as far as i understand most people live in italy, syria and lebanon were Romans

and BTW i always thought Tokyo is the largest city in the world with a population more than 27 000 000 

Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:51

Saturday, 30 December, 2000, 05:54 GMT

Bombay is set to replace Tokyo as the world's most populous city by 2020, according to a study released in the US.

Bombay, home to about 18 million people, will over the next two decades see its population grow to about 28.5 million, according to the Washington-based Population Institute, in its annual overview of world population trends.

but look at this

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

So Paulo Brazil, world's second-biggest city, celebrates its 450th birthday!

off topic i know, but go back to you all later of the Romans 

Edited by Praetorian
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 20:12

Originally posted by AssyrianGuy7

I once heard that Southern Italians originated from Mesopatamians.  Has anybody heard of this.

It's rubbish. Are you sure you're not getting Southern Italians mixed up with the Etruscans to the north?

Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 00:46
Actually, there is this place in Eastern Africa that is believed to be the homeland of all human beings ... kinda throws off all the nationalistic arguments "my ancestors were that, and this, and the other"... when you think that we all originate from the same tribe of quasi-monkeys that started a long march from Ethiopia sometime in the past
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 02:03

"In this sense, the largest city in the World is Seoul, South Korea, with 10,231,000 inhabitants."

This is not accurate. As far as I know, the population of Shanghai, China is over 13,000,000, and if I am not mistaken, it is not the largest city in China by population but by size.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 02:51
Mexico city is the largest city in the world, though that takes into account the whole urban area, and not just the admistrative region. Tokyo is second again considering full urban area.
But you'll get different lists using different criteria, so meh.
Arrrgh!!"
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 04:29

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

S? Paulo Brazil, world's second-biggest city, celebrates its 450th birthday!

Yay!  In fact, Sao Paulo was founded by Italian immigrants-making a good portion of the city with Roman Origin!

Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>