Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In 2100, which country will have the strongest military?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: The strongest military in year 2100?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [30.36%]
40 [35.71%]
7 [6.25%]
18 [16.07%]
2 [1.79%]
3 [2.68%]
1 [0.89%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [5.36%]
1 [0.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In 2100, which country will have the strongest military?
    Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 13:32
i apoligise if i sounded harsh above.

in reply to the poverty in india comments i would like to note that the country is not "full of poverty". The 2002 figures from the world fact book show that in 2002 25% of the population live in poverty, which is a high number, however, that also means that 750 million people live lives out of poverty.

Also, i would like to add that most poverty in india occurs in the countryside, and the number is rapidly decreasing.

During the 80's 35% of all people living in india fell below the poverty line, which means that in the space of 20 years India has managed to bring 100 million people out of poverty.

By 2025 that number is expected to be somewhere between 12-15%. by 2050, even lower.

Now 2025 is well within our lifetimes (*touch wood*), and may i note that 12.5% of all people living in the United States live below the poverty line.

And this is not a topic about economy, it is about military.
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 15:48
ANd if your knewe anything you'd know that military and economy go hand in hand. How cna you keep building your war machine if you cannot have a solid income?
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 18:58
Very hard to tell. The US is declining when it comes to it's ability on caring about foreign relations, but that itself probably won't carry it's downfall in 100 years. A few hundred years, however, is a bit of a strecth. China's military and economic power is rising rapidly, but faces some internal problems (Tibet, Inner Mongolia, ect...) which probably stems more from the outside world than most of its' people. Russia has a HUGE nuclear waste issue, and India has a pop. issue. Europe probably won't be unified, WW2 is isn't that long ago.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 19:03
Iceland.
Arrrgh!!"
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 20:11
I think omnipotence gave a very objective and accurate prediction.
Member of IAEA
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 20:23
Originally posted by coolstorm

"America is nowhere near as strained as Byzantium, we aren't even as strained as we were during the Cold War.  Byzantium was also beset by powerful enemies on all sides, America is relatively protected.  I just don't think there could be a force that could weaken us to such an extent in the next hundred or so years as to make us lose our growing military supremacy, especially in technology."

That's what the Chinese were thinking in the late 15th century of the Ming while it was still the most advanced nation on earth and became cocky. But, China's power declined soon after that with its closed door policy.

The US is having facing a modern version of the same problem.

The US has closed it door to foreign voice and is doing everything its way just like China 500 years ago.

Interesting observation.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 21:51

On the whole issue of world power and nukes. The issue of most powerful nation then becomes who has the more advanced space program. As a last minute effort all of your important figureheads and a miniscule to small percent of your population survives long after the initial attack to spread your policies and in time to become stronger than the nation that attacked you. Especially if you follow the guarenteed mutual destruction of the cold war.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 02:52

That's what the Chinese were thinking in the late 15th century of the Ming while it was still the most advanced nation on earth and became cocky. But, China's power declined soon after that with its closed door policy.

The US is having facing a modern version of the same problem.

The problem is that US is importing "intellectual minds" of the worlds, mainly from India.  Like most of computer technitians from Silicon valley are Indian origin (the best mathmaticians are found there), because US promotes such intelligent people to come to their country.  They also make Nobel prize winners American citizen if I'm correct.

Grrr..
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 10:02

"The problem is that US is importing "intellectual minds" of the worlds, mainly from India.  Like most of computer technitians from Silicon valley are Indian origin (the best mathmaticians are found there), because US promotes such intelligent people to come to their country.  They also make Nobel prize winners American citizen if I'm correct."

The US does not promote people to go to their country. Having Indian people do the computer jobs is only a way of lowering cost. Most technical operations are not located in the US but in India where labor cost is much lower. If you call Dell technical assistance, you reach India actually.

There are Nobel prize winners from all over the world. However, all I am saying here is that the US has closed its door to foreign voice, not accepting opinion or criticism foreign or domestic if it is against the country's administration's will.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 10:09

Also, the vast population of the US is developing a sense of arrogance just like China 500 years ago, thinking that everything foreign is backward.

The infrastracture of the US isnt' that great actually. Mass transportation system, highways, buses, automobiles are all bad compared to many countries. But no one would choose to believe it. A lot of people think that Canada doesn't even have a fax machine. That's from my own expericen.

Furthermore, a lot of people around the world know about the US. But, a lot of people in the US don't know about the rest of the world.

Most of the US population doesn't even know the captial of Canada or the leader of it.

How pathetic is that?

That's what the Chinese were thinking and doing 500 years ago. They became cocky and didn't care about other countries in all matters.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 12:25

The US does not promote people to go to their country.  Having Indian people do the computer jobs is only a way of lowering cost. Most technical operations are not located in the US but in India where labor cost is much lower. If you call Dell technical assistance, you reach India actually.

My point is that US is promoting only those with unique abilities.  But your point about operations in places with cheaper labor is true.  Even US statistics are calculated in India.

Also, the vast population of the US is developing a sense of arrogance just like China 500 years ago, thinking that everything foreign is backward.

Actually, Chinese arrogance differs from American arrogance.  Chinese arrogance was when China thought that the world was inferior to their counterparts, and kept things as they were- without innovations.  So naturally, they lagged off without knowing what was going on.

American arrogance is rather different.  Of course, they have the arrogant sense that they are the best and stuff.  But they do innovate their products once in a while.  Like the most recent war technologies are being created in US.  Best example is the stealth bomber. 

How could such arrogant country create such mechanized bird?  The answer is simple.  They know they are the best- and they know they have to lead the rest- and so they have to innovate things first.  That's the sense China lacked back in the 1500's.  That's what the British Empire lacked in the 1900's.  But that's not what US is lacking in modern society.

Grrr..
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 16:54
Usually the decline of a Western Civilization is caused more because of overexpansion than Isolation. Look at Greece(Alexander), Rome, and the Imperialistic powers of Europe. It is the East that declines because of Isolationism. Just a thought. Of course, all these powers, Eastern and Western, also shared a kind of "arrogance" toward foreigners, although drastically different in style.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 20:20

"Usually the decline of a Western Civilization is caused more because of overexpansion than Isolation. Look at Greece(Alexander), Rome, and the Imperialistic powers of Europe. It is the East that declines because of Isolationism. Just a thought. Of course, all these powers, Eastern and Western, also shared a kind of "arrogance" toward foreigners, although drastically different in style. "

Expansion was not the reason for the decline of Rome and Greece. All empires in the world experience a decline in power in one way or another. Isolation was a direct cause for the decline of Chinese power while, on the other hand, the Romans declined because of internal turmoi and the split of the empire, resulting in a decline in military power. Greece was conquered by the Romans because of of Roman's superiority. Expansion was a stage but absolutely not the reason for the decline in power.

During the 19th century, the United States expanded to the Pacific from the original thirteen colonies. According to your statement, the United States as a western civilization should have faced a decline in power but the fact was the other way around.

Isolation is definitely the reason for decline in power.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 21:27
jus as long as it isn't india
-Jc
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 09:55
Hard to tell, if trade blocks are any hint I'll go with the NAF, or North American Federation.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 16:51
Christcrusader, what is you're obsession with insulting india? is there a special reason or what? i'm sort of busy at the moment, but tommorow i am planning to post why i think India will be have a major military in 2100.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 16:58
I went for Brasil. My bias. But I do think they may have a shot, once they solve their many, many, many problems.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 16:59
Ok i will respond once you give me your opinion one why India has a chance... , and other memebers, do you think India could become the major power, I would think China over India.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 17:27

"Christcrusader, what is you're obsession with insulting india? is there a special reason or what? i'm sort of busy at the moment, but tommorow i am planning to post why i think India will be have a major military in 2100. "

He's jealous of India's superior cultural history.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 20:15

Haha, I do not need to insult others of there culture to feel good about my own.

And yes, they will be a superpower, a power with a country filled with poverty stricken people.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>