Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Caliph Harun Al Rashid and Constantinople

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caliph Harun Al Rashid and Constantinople
    Posted: 01-May-2006 at 07:25

Strategically speaking,if Harun did not have he proper Navy forces,he would not have been able to capture the City.And even if he had them,it would be very difficult to surpass the destructive force of the Hellenic fire,without heavy losses,as it was proved many times before.

The point is,that many powerfull armies reached Constantinople,but only 2 armies managed to conquer ii.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 05:32

at the time of the Ottomans Constantinople was a country in a city, while at the time of Harun in the 7th/8th centurey it was just a capital of a big empire, I think if most of the empire came under other powers the capital wont have enough army personnel to defend it.

it wouldve been easier to take it if the main army was destroyed earlier.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 07:36

Well,remember the example of the more 100.000 Avars and Slavs who attacked  the City in 626,assisted by Persian troops, without any result,while Emperor Heraclius was fighting the Persians in the East.

Edited by Spartakus
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 14:13

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I never thought about bashing the Turks indirectly, but thanks for pointing that out I never thought about it. (SOrry to ze Turks ) But I am talking about Constantinople itself and what it had become after the 2nd century. It has become so corrupted and it has torn itself from its old Roman values. It is just a shadow of its former glory, a infestation that has to be wiped out from the world. ALthough it was finally conquered in the 15th century it was already a place of death and decay to its fullest. But destroying it earlier when it boasted a high population would have eradicated all the filth and evil that protruded from its walls. Only because of its luck, its protection geographically, and a few "good kings" did it manage to breath one more breath of air. The Persians and/or the Arabs should have destroyed them. It is a pity that they have failed

Constantinople was "a place of death and decay to its fullest"?  What nonsense is this?  Constantinople was the capital of the most powerfull empire of the middle ages.  Actually, your entire statement I've quoted is false.  Why are you advocating the destruction of the citizens of Constantinople and what makes you think that they were full of "filth and evil"?  Constantinople was part of a great empire that, if it still existed, would make the world today a better place.  The destruction of Constantinople that occured in 1453 ruined the city.  We today should not forget the terrible crime that was committed against the citizens of that city in 1453.  Advocating their destruction is disrespectful to them.

As far as the Arabs being able to conquer Constantinople, if they could have they would have.  Why would they turn down all the wealth and plunder they could have taken by conquering the city in exchange for a mediocre tribute?  Byzantium could have dealt with them easily enough, it was simply more convenient for them to buy them off while dealing with other issues though.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:28
Do you really believe that the citizens of Istanbul would be better off as still being "Constantinople"? I mean, by 1453 it was an utter waste of a city. It was a shadow of its former self from lets say...all the way back to the 2nd century!!! It was better off being finally captured by the Turks, who were more understand towards other religions to the racist, self-serving byzantines.

---I am not making it up that Byzantine was corrupt to the full. The Cosmopolitians of the city were full of wealth and greed. They lost the sense of hard work, and only knew about politics. And they wasted their time thinking about Theology theories like..."Did Jesus hold the chalice this way, or maybe he held the chalice 'this' way?" While they could have concentrated on bigger issues.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 05:18
No navy equals no capture of the city. Tsar Samuel of the Bulgarians was able to capture virtually the whole of Byzantine Europe and then put the capital under siege. Of course he failed, he had no navy to blockade the city and in the end all his army could do was sit outside the walls and think of how futile their efforts were. Naval supremacy was needed to take the city, it was a major reason why city was taken on only two occasions. Constantinople must have been put under siege nearly 50 times in her history, yet only two sieges ever took the city, and each time it was a close contest.

As to the Byzantine Empire's moral strengths and weaknesses, I do not need to preach about what I think. She had her good and her bad, let us just agree she was fascinating and enjoyed a long life.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 07:34

Originally posted by R_AK47

Byzantium could have dealt with them easily enough, it was simply more convenient for them to buy them off while dealing with other issues though.

other issues?

hmmm,  like declining ?

Edited by azimuth
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 08:52
Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by R_AK47

Byzantium could have dealt with them easily enough, it was simply more convenient for them to buy them off while dealing with other issues though.

other issues?

hmmm,  like declining ?

But they did, at least at certain times. Witness the so-called Silver Age of Byzantium, the period between Basil II Bulgaroctonus and Alexius Comnenus (10th to 12th centuries), when the Roman (Byzantine Empire) did much to reconquer former territories and recapture some of its former glory. It took centuries of constant attacks on several fronts by Turks in Anatolia, Normans in Italy and the Mediterranean, and Bulgars in the Balkans, followed by a catastrophic act of treachery from former allies, the western crusaders, for the decline of the Byzantine Empire to become irreversible. I challenge you to find another empire that has had to deal with so many challenges and survived for so long.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 08:58

Do you really believe that the citizens of Istanbul would be better off as still being "Constantinople"? I mean, by 1453 it was an utter waste of a city. It was a shadow of its former self from lets say...all the way back to the 2nd century!!! It was better off being finally captured by the Turks, who were more understand towards other religions to the racist, self-serving byzantines.

---I am not making it up that Byzantine was corrupt to the full. The Cosmopolitians of the city were full of wealth and greed. They lost the sense of hard work, and only knew about politics. And they wasted their time thinking about Theology theories like..."Did Jesus hold the chalice this way, or maybe he held the chalice 'this' way?" While they could have concentrated on bigger issues.

I really should try and uphold a standard of respect for other members, given my position, but I have to say that in your case, I really have to say something. Your knowledge of history is usually quite incomplete, but that doesn't stop you from making blanket inflammatory comments, which are more often than not completely inaccurate. Would you please research a bit your comments before you post them? It's not just this particular statement, but I've seen it all over the forum.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 11:05

"Racist, self-serving byzantines"?  What sort of anti-byzantine propaganda is this?  The Byzantine Empire was a very tolerant multi-cultural empire.  I've never heard anyone accuse them of being racists or losing their "sense of hard work."  If the Turks were so understanding of other religions as you say, then why did they have the habit of converting the sacred buildings of other religions into mosques?  I'll admit that Constantinople was in rough shape in 1453, compared to what it used to be.  However, the city was certainly not a "shadow of its former self" in the 2nd century.  You seem to be very biased against the East Roman Empire for some reason.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 15:23
Decebal, if i have made any flammatory remarks plz pm them to me and i will see how "often" i made them. I do not wish to make any other confrontations between us "uncomfortable"

And RK the reason why i called the Byzantines "racist" was because they had no respect for the jews, or other religions for that matter in the lands that they dominated. Why were the egyptians so happy when they were liberated by the muslim conquests? It was necessary change for that time. And i believe the reason why the turks changed old churches in former Constantinople (like the Hagia Sophia) was more of a political statement than anything else (regime change). Other than that, i do not wish to be looked as someone very biased agaisnt the East Roman Empire. Heck, most of the Eastern Roman Empire actually wanted "out." The city of Constantinople was the definition behind the Empire.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 15:28
They had no respect for the Jews?There was a Jewish community in Constantinople.Of course it was not a paradise,but ,hell, it was not Venice either.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 15:31
Well Spartakus leeme ask you this, if the muslims were to attack Constantinople, would the jews help the city or the besiegers?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 15:43
The Jews would help nobody.Because theis interests fitted with the rising power of Venice and of the Ottomans.It's mainly a matter of interests really.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:29

Most jewish communities in Byzantine empire were large and prosperous but they suffered discrimination. The hostility of the Byzantines to the jews can be explained in part by their influx into the empire by considerable numbers from the turn of the 10th century. It was also inserparable form their conviction that they were the chosen people of the new dispensation. Byzantine discrimination in rare cases merged into persecution like the Nicaean emperor John III Vatatzes that proved his orthodox credentials by ordering the conversion of all jews within his dominions.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 08:34

There is no State or Empire in human history without any kind of discrimination until WWII.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 08:58
That is a fact yes, but it is just to prove the point that the byzantines tried to convert the jews to christianity, while the turks let them go on with their religion
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:28
Originally posted by Spartakus

There is no State or Empire in human history without any kind of discrimination until WWII.

An erroneous act is not justified on the grounds that someone else is guilty of an equal erroneous act nor it makes it less erroneous. Your reply is a bold Red Herring.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:18

That is a fact yes, but it is just to prove the point that the byzantines tried to convert the jews to christianity, while the turks let them go on with their religion

The Byzantines were far more tolerant towards the jews compared to the western Europeans,who when they set off on a crusade they slaugthered hundreds of Jews in every European city or village and made agrand-scale pogrom in order just to spread ''christian'' fanatism and zealotry among the masses.Or should we remember the Spanish who expelled all the jews of Spain that did not want to convert to Catholicism after the reconquista had ended?
As far as the Turks are concerned it depends on which turks you are speaking about.The Seljouk Turks in Asia Minor killed thousands of christian Greeks when fighting a Jihad against the Byzantines .The Ottomans were more tolerant but still they did not hesitate to slaughter whole communities when these communities revolted(In the 17th century in Epirus for example).
And believe me living in dhimmi status was not the best thing for the Greeks during the ottoman times.

Edited by RomiosArktos
RomiosArktos of many colors and shapes
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:34

As i have said and as Romios pointed out,it was not a paradise but the Byzantines were far more tolerant than the Latins .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>