Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iranian Vampires?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iranian Vampires?
    Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:30
Are there any legends or references in Persian mythology and folklore about creatures that drink blood,or deadliving creatures that drink blood?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:33
wow!
never heard
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:35
Yes, Akhoonds are legendary blood drinkers.  They are alleged to reside mainly in and around the city of Qom, they have plagued Iran since the 16th century.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:37
I am doing some research about in want extent is the vampiric folklore figure,a creature that drinks blood for it's satisfaction or because it need it,was spread in the world.In Ancient Hellas ,there was Lamia for example,a mythological monster that was drinking blood from young boys etc.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:46

Originally posted by Zagros

Yes, Akhoonds are legendary blood drinkers.  They are alleged to reside mainly in and around the city of Qom, they have plagued Iran since the 16th century.

An akhoond or akond is a Persian name for a Muslim cleric, common in Iran and Azerbaijan. Akhoonds are responsible for leading religious services in a community. Akhoonds lead the prayers in the mosques, deliver religious sermons and perform religious ceremonies, such as birth rites and funeral services. They also often teach in Islamic schools known as a madrassa.

Akhoonds will usually have completed some studies (of varying levels) in a madrassa, studying various Islamic and non-Islamic subjects, such as Sharia (Islamic law), Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), Qur'anic studies, Maths etc. The commonly dress themselves in religious attire.

In Iran, they are also called Mullahs or Maulvis. Other names for similar Muslim clerics are Mullah, Shaykh, Maulana, Maulvi, amongst several others.

You bugger!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:48

I am sure I have heard something about such creatures, I will ask my mamaan next time i talk to her, she knows about legends and folklore and stuff.

Edited by Zagros
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:48
Not Blood, but we have Zahak(=Azhidahak=Azhdaha=Dragon) the tazi(arab) ruler, devil kissed his shoulders, then 2 snakes grown on his shoulders
next time devil backed as Dr. & said him that he must feed snakes by 2 humen brains every day to cure.
the mythe was continued to Kave Ahangar & his Revolution againest zahak
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Spartakus

An akhoond or akond is a Persian name for a Muslim cleric, common in Iran and Azerbaijan. Akhoonds are responsible for leading religious services in a community. Akhoonds lead the prayers in the mosques, deliver religious sermons and perform religious ceremonies, such as birth rites and funeral services. They also often teach in Islamic schools known as a madrassa.

Akhoonds will usually have completed some studies (of varying levels) in a madrassa, studying various Islamic and non-Islamic subjects, such as Sharia (Islamic law), Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), Qur'anic studies, Maths etc. The commonly dress themselves in religious attire.

In Iran, they are also called Mullahs or Maulvis. Other names for similar Muslim clerics are Mullah, Shaykh, Maulana, Maulvi, amongst several others.

You bugger!

also you may find some pix with Deracola teeth

Edited by Land of Aryan
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 18:08

Originally posted by Zagros

very true. there are stories of countless lives being lost at the hands of the akhoond.  the worst akhoond cases reported were during the qajar period and todays islamic republic.

attempts have been made to stop the akhoonds and drain their mstical devil like powers, however, all attempts have failed and the perpetrators died at the hands of the akhoonds.

in the newest case, the USA has offered to eradicate the akhoonds but that option is still disputed by many, including iranians themselves.

how long these blood sucking akhoonds will remain is still unknown.

there relation with european vampires has still not been completely proven, however, furthur excavations in qom may lead to some clues. some hypothesize that dracula himself may have origionally been an akhoond, along with other cases. however, it is certain that these blood sucking creatures, from the americas to asia to africa, are related in some way.

if you need further information, just ask and i will make it up.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 18:20
there relation with european vampires has still not been completely proven

we especially assume there must be hiding relation to English one

Edited by Land of Aryan
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 07:45
Guys ,be serious!This is a serious thread!
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 08:36
I answerd seriously:

never heard
&
Not Blood, but we have Zahak(=Azhidahak=Azhdaha=Dragon) the tazi(arab) ruler, devil kissed his shoulders, then 2 snakes grown on his shoulders
next time devil backed as Dr. & said him that he must feed snakes by 2 humen brains every day to cure.
the mythe was continued to Kave Ahangar & his Revolution againest zahak

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 08:57

A mythological creature native to the area (more Iraq tho) is a Lilit.  This creature has popped up in muslim and jewish traditions both, tho its characteristics tend to change from society to society.  In short its a female demon that feeds on babies during the night.

The typical vampire you maybe thinking of is largely a European myth tho (slavic and romanian)

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 14:54

Not necessary though.Such mythological creature  already existed in Ancient Hellas centuries ago,as stated above.So why not in Middle East and Iran?Maybe as a God or sth?In Messopotemian cultures,such as Assyria and Sumeria?

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 18:51
To come about this i just how you have a fascination with vampires. Your avatar pictures Selene from the movie called "Underworld." I suppose you like the topic of vampires and such and hey it is an interesting topic.

I only saw the first Underworld movie. I didnt see the second one because my friends said it sucked
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 15:38
Well,humans have different tastes.I must admit i liked it.
Shiroyeh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Shiroyeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 14:52
It was a good film and Kate Beckinsale is KHOT!

I haven't heard of vampires in Iranian mythology, tho there are lots of mentions of demons, i.e. div-e Sepid-e Mazandaran a ruler of Mazandaran who during the battle between Iran and Mazandaran he turned into a rock before the great warrior Rostam (from the Shahnameh). according to some Mazandarani the demon still exists and dwells in a cave with the same name now in the Golestan province. I believe there are more demons in Iranian mythology but non that I know of that are vampire like.
' How shall a man escape from that which is written; How shall he flee from his destiny? ' Ferdowsi
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 15:58
Div in iranian mythology isn't vampire like. You could compare Divs with demons, but not with vampires.
vespasian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote vespasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 19:16

I was wondering...Aren't vampires strictly from Slavic mythology? I thought that was the only mythology you would see the whole "I'm a horrible demonic creature and I need other people's blood to live" thing. No dissing intended, just curious.

Is someone going to tell Triple H that someone beat him to the title "King of Kings"?
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 10:06
Vampires are so overrated

I only know of one vampire and that is Dracula.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>