Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Inuyasha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Inuyasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Empires
    Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 19:06

This is my first post on this board and it comes in the form of a question. I found this posted on a board the other day. and would like you al lwho are real history buffs to comment on this. I didn't write it. I'd just like to here your comments both positive or negative. To me it sounds a bit strange.

5- The Greeks---Their technological, philisophical, and patriotic demeanors were the the catalyst that sent the word from the Bronze age into the age of enlightenment and of human istinct to conquor completely. Their empire was short lived...about 80 years. The Greeks quickly fell into the pelobneisian wars after Alexanders death..and were then routed by the Carthaginians with ease. But they did unite many cultures in the form of trade and technology transfers. This escalated the advance of man...and was the forerunner for even a greater empire to come

#4- The Ottoman Empire (Islam)---This Empire is the Most Intriguing to me. It evolved from a stunning phenomena...Islam. Despite the millions lost first in their wars with christdom. And then the massive defeats over centuries to the superior Mongols...the faith and their design remained in tact. The design of Islam is world domination. It was then, and it is now. It is a methodical beast...and deserves much respect. Anyway, as the Mongol Empire receded...the Arab armies quickly took advantage of vacated lands. Most call them the Ottoman Turks....but it actually gained its power from the Adriatic. They sent trade deep into Africa...They created the slave trade that supplied the New World and much of Asia...And their Alchamies and even philisophical process was to be admired.

#3- The British Empire...Maybe the most unlikely of them all. A small Island surrounded by hostile oceans and a myriad of capable foes with similar designs A nation that was rubbing sticks together to make fire when the Greeks were transfering mathmatical equasions with India and China. But as Darwin has eluded too.... a harsh climate builds tough people..and with the intervention of Rome.....The Brits came to enlightenment. The foremost element to their success was the logical venue of naval activity for an island nation....and boy!! they were, and still might be be the best. Their incursions into the Mongol occupied New World eventually resulted into the greatest civilazation ever created...(The Untided states)...The also brought enlightenment to India. They created the thriving nation of Australia. And unlike Spanish and French colonailists...they cultured thriving societies that still endure today.

2- The Mongols....Hands down..the greatest military the world has ever encountered. These once equalivilant to the Souix nation from the steppes of Asia within 50 years doubled the size of the Roman Empire. They would attack great civilazations being outnumbered 4 to 1, and never had doubt of victory. . They created the rifle and the cannon. They maintaned the greatest feat of humankind for 200 years...the mighty "silk road" The passive enterprise from China to europe. In fact..the concept of "Police" came from the Mongol dilligence of the Silk road. Their Empire spread from the Kamchaka coastline to Germany. and south through India and then again west to the Gates of Constananople. And if not for tribute from the Byzantines and the Black death in Europe...well there would be a whole lot of you lilly white Euro based decendents...that would look a whole lot like Frosty right now...Poor bastards... FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Grin"

1- Its all about Rome!!!...1500 years in existance...even though the last 900 were in decline and survival mode...enough said!!...The Egyptians had and lost 3 empires in that time period. As in the previous great civilazations mentioned...and according to human instinct...Its all about how one conducts itself in the art of war. Man is innately a warlike creature. The strong will always dominate the weak. This is an instinct of our species...and Rome excelled at this basic human trait. They first assimilated the Greek form of government. They then developed a superior military that basically was unmatched from the time they spent 200 years defeating the mighty Carthaginians....about 50 BC....to when the Huns arrived in the mid 5th century AD. There never has been an enduring dominance like this. It is Rome that spread knowledge into Europe.....If not...they would still be rubbing sticks to make fire as of today. It was Rome that was the conduit of knowledge that has created the modern world we live int today. Just to clear things up...The Visigoths and Vandals sacked rome in 411 AD. The Huns conquored Italy about 40 years later. Gaul fell to Attila and was retaken by Rome in 453...but was so weakened...that they receded all the way back. In actuaulity....and is amazing...the empire founded by Rome!!!....lost Rome and all west and north and south...but still survived as a powerfull entity...known as the Byzantines...simply incredible

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 19:08
I think Rome is overrated

Personally I think any Empire sucks because it usually dies in the end
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 23:10
I suppose the yardstick for measuring any empire is not how much it conquered, but how would you like to live in it (not super rich). Which is the best empire then?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 09:15
Originally posted by Inuyasha

2- The Mongols

Their Empire spread from the Kamchaka coastline to Germany.

Well, between Kamchatka and Germany was/is also Poland, which wasn't a part of Mongol Empire

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 16:42
Originally posted by Inuyasha

Their incursions into the Mongol occupied New World eventually resulted into the greatest civilazation ever created...(The Untided states)

Mongol-occupied New World?

Welcome to AE.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 16:58
mongol, to the moon!
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 07:37

Persian Empire - Achaemenid dynasty 648bc - 330bc

Scorpian
Inuyasha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Inuyasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 15:48
Please feel free to flame away. I did not write that post. The original writer is not a membe of this forum (although he probably should be).
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 16:23

i dont think there is a proper or accurate list for "greatest empire"

it all depends on what greatness you are talking about?

size?

wealth?

power at its time?

achievements?

influence?

-----------

you mentioned the Greek and forgot the persians and the Egyptian and the mesopotamians and the chinese.....

you mentioned the Ottomans and forgot the Seljuks and the Abbasides and the Umayyads....etc

agian i dont think there will ever be an accurate list about Greatness unless you specify exactly what side of greatness are you comparing.

it isnt always the case the largest is the richest or the infuental one.

for example the Mongol didnt have any effect on anybody, the ones ruled china became chinese, the one ruled cenetral Aisa became turk, the ones ruled Persia became persians.

not much achievements really.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 17:11

my list (not in any order)

persian empire (achaemenids to qajars)

chinese

islamic arab empire

roman empire

greeks/egyptians

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Bulgarian Soldja View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulgarian Soldja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 21:18
A united slavic empire was not formed ........ but it would have been the greatest
Bulgarian Soldja View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulgarian Soldja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 21:19
I put bulgarian in the top 10 tho
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 00:08
USSR was almost a United Slavic Empire...those slavs which were not part of the empire were under the influence of USSR.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 03:53

10 Arab Empire, huge enlightened but not particularly centrally controlled.

9 Portuguese Empire, longevious even if everchanging in dimension.

8 German 2nd Reich, should have been great didn't quite make it.

7 Hapsburg Empires, Spain then Austria, longevious, diverse and powerful.

6 Mongol Empire, Huge unstoppable if short lived.

5Aztec Empire, a well manged empire without hard metals or the wheel.

4 Romano Byzantine Empire, massive longevity, strong administartion.

3 French Empires, big in North America, then Napolean conquered Europe, then after both lossses they bounce back and create 2nd biggest modern Empire.

2 Russian Empire and USSR, not exactly the same, but huge, powerful, defeated Napolean, Hitler and CharlesXII whoes Swedish empire would be No.12.

1 British empire The Largest Empire ever, spwaned today's superpower the USA and assisted in the rise of China (return of HK.) and India (unifying element.), created successful  democracies in Aust, NZ, Cananda, US, India, long lasting, helped bring down, Louis XIV, Napolean, Wilhelm II, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, Saddam and Milosevic.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 08:07
Yes, I got to agree with Disraeli on the British Empire. It effected so many modern countries, but I believe by far the greatest ancient empire is the Roman Empire.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 20:30

interesting..

Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kamran the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 02:59

of course it's just one person's opinion.

I personally don't see how anyone could draw up a list of empires (in no particular order) and not have the Persian empire included; and I'm not just saying this because I am a Persian!

Cyrus the Great founded the second Iranian dynasty, the Achaemenids, and first world Empire, by uniting the two original Iranian Tribes- the Medes and the Persians, after defeating his grandfather, Astyages sometimes between 559 BC and 549 BC. He entered Ecbatana and, taking over the Median kingdom, began to build the first world empire.

On the other hand, since when has there been an "Arab Empire"??? Again, I'm not just saying this because I am a Persian!

Edited by Kamran the Great
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 10:45
It's all a matter of opinion, for me greatest empire, not size wise, is the Roman one.

The Mongol had a large empire but can we really say they contributed much to the world.

The French empire was short lived but many progress (Napoleonic code, Metric System) can find their roots to that one.
Vae victis!
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by Disraeli

10 Arab Empire, huge enlightened but not particularly centrally controlled.

9 Portuguese Empire, longevious even if everchanging in dimension.

8 German 2nd Reich, should have been great didn't quite make it.

7 Hapsburg Empires, Spain then Austria, longevious, diverse and powerful.

6 Mongol Empire, Huge unstoppable if short lived.

5Aztec Empire, a well manged empire without hard metals or the wheel.

4 Romano Byzantine Empire, massive longevity, strong administartion.

3 French Empires, big in North America, then Napolean conquered Europe, then after both lossses they bounce back and create 2nd biggest modern Empire.

2 Russian Empire and USSR, not exactly the same, but huge, powerful, defeated Napolean, Hitler and CharlesXII whoes Swedish empire would be No.12.

1 British empire The Largest Empire ever, spwaned today's superpower the USA and assisted in the rise of China (return of HK.) and India (unifying element.), created successful  democracies in Aust, NZ, Cananda, US, India, long lasting, helped bring down, Louis XIV, Napolean, Wilhelm II, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, Saddam and Milosevic.

I don't think China need British to "rise". Chinese dynasties' already "rise in the world" long before England was a kingdom.

Problem with these kind of imperial comparasions is that they are often culturally biased. And most of lists we saw above are Western-oriented, but at the same time the world was never the size what Roman onced believed.

If the Greek and Rome laid the fundation of the Western culture, then Spring&Atumn and QinHan dynasties laid the fundation of the Eastern culture. In similiar degree, Persian or Islamic legacies are shared amount the Middle-East countries.

We are still living under the shadows of great empires. And in my opinion, Han and Rome probably were the two that cast their shadow furthest.

Edited by Dream208
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by Kamran the Great

On the other hand, since when has there been an "Arab Empire"??? Again, I'm not just saying this because I am a Persian!

Umayyads Caliphate and the Abbasides Caliphates were main Arabic Empires,

there are others but were minor and were as a result of the break up of the Abbasides. such as the Fatimids of Egypt they were Sheiti in religion but spoke arabic and had arabic as official languge.

in case you are confused Arabic Empire = Ruled by Arabs and the Official language is Arabic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>