Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question I have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question I have
    Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 03:42

I was reading my university's asinine student newspaper the other day, and there was an editorial about how bad the US embargo of Cuba was.  One of the reasons the author gave was that many nations around the world condemn the embargo.  I just don't understand why people like that think that international politics should be a gigantic popularity contest.  Logically, shouldn't the opinion of the international community be important only in so far as it helps or hinders the pursuit of a nation and its allies individual interests?  These people speak so often about being well liked that they consider it an end in and of itself and not a means to other assorted ends.

Regardless of whether the embargo against Cuba is good or bad, the international community is not going to do anything serious about it or try very hard to stop it, and so I can only conclude that their opinion about it is therefore irrelevant as it will not lead to any significant actions either way.

Can someone help my pragmatic brain decipher why international popularity should be a goal for its own sake?

Member of IAEA
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 04:14
I agree with you, popularity is not neccesarily the same as good. However popularity is useful to attain your own means. Imperialism is not just attained by Armys and force, diplomacy is an important and often more effective tool.

Look at the British Empire, their major advantage over other nations was diplomacy. They were cunning, shrewd and invented the term international community. The British never went to war against another European alone, they always had allies. If Britian had tried to take control of India by force it would have failed, instead it used a combination of diplomacy and force. By fighting one Raja they become more popular with others, enabling them to strengthen their grip on both regions.

International popularity is also the best way to protect your country from other countries. Sun Tzu says that fighting a battle is always a risk, if you can avoid fighting that battle and win a different way, you should always do this. Same on a larger scale, fighting a war to protect yourself is not as good as not having to fight a war at all.

But none of these are 'for its own sake'. I think doing anything purely for popularity is a silly thing. Although being popular can always put you in a better position for an unforseen event in the future.
In the case of cuba, I would ask if it is worth america continuing the boycott. Is it worth alienating other countries for the embargo, good relations with them might be advantageous in the future.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 05:48
Well, making allies feeling bad about your policies isn't the best way to keep their enthusiasm as allies.

And no matter how powerful the US is, it will need allies now and then.

US policy in Cuba used to be a bilateral US-Cuba issue. It damaged Cuban economy, it helped Fidel to have a pretext for whatever lack... but the rest of the world just ignored all that and made bussiness with both. Nowadays a company is obligued by the US to either do bussiness with Cuba or the US. This is blackmail on third parties and makes these third parties unease on US power. Obvioulsy they will try top undermine it as reaction.

International politics is, believe it or not, much of a popularity contest: almost as much as domestic politics is. In domestic politics there are other factors beyond public opinion (or rather that help to shape PO) but that lobbies exist and probably are the ones to define a government's policies, doesn't mean that PO is irrelevant - does it?

After all, the US wants probably to keep its hegemonic position. For that it needs to be strong but some of that strength comes from US allies, not directly from the US itself.

The USA controls just 20% of the global GDP, US allies control much more than that: EU alone is comparable to the USA, while Japan has a share of 6%.

US "rivals" as China (that may control about 14% of global GDP) are also "attacked" with authoritarian US policies towards Cuba. Russia, Brazil and India also have some influence and some difficulties with this issue. Europeans, China, Russia and Brazil all have relatively good relations with Castro's Cuba and all have their resentment about US policies, specially when imposed on to non-US companies.

Guantanamo ilegal concentration camp is not precisely a jewel that would imporve US image.

One question that you seem to ignore also is that, the same that domestic public opinion may affect a US government, foreign public opinion will affect foreign governments. Blair doesn't decide his policies depending on what they think in Missouri but rather with his eyes one the opinion polls inside Britain. Same for every other government. So when the US politicians launch a pathetic campaign against France, they put their French allies in a difficult position. French PO will have been placed against the USA and French politicians will have more difficulties in pleasing their transatlantic allies.

In an extreme case, a lack of consideration for this issue of foreign PO (for instance in the Arab/Muslim World) may cause an uprising against the rule of the Empire or its puppets.

So yes: nowadays international public opinion counts and it may be a more than delicate issue to manage for a neo-colonialist superpower, that must squeeze and make feel good to the same people.

Also, there's the Net: there's sort of a global PO.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:24

Originally posted by Maju

So yes: nowadays international public opinion counts and it may be a more than delicate issue to manage for a neo-colonialist superpower, that must squeeze and make feel good to the same people.

That is all true, but the benefits of better image must be weighed against the costs, and vice versa.  The thing I was saying is that global opinion is not an end in and of itself, but a means to an end, no better or worse than any other means.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:30

Since Genghis's question is on "popularity" in general, I will just focus my thought on that instead of the Cuban situation.

Even though "popularity" may just be a perceived quality, it does not render a person or a country that strives for it "unpragmatic." In fact the opposite is true. Just ask a typical teenager what his or her goal is in high school? To be popular. When someone is popular, special privileges are accorded to him or her and special bonds are built. It is a prestige thing.

Of course one can argue that prestige, especially international prestige, ultimately does not depend on "popularity". It depends on wealth and power. So in most cases, as long as you are wealthy and powerful, you have the prestige, and almost automatically you become the most popular kid in neighbourhood. This is true especially when you are the only wealthy and powerful kid around. So even if you are the biggest a**hole on earth, you will still be "popular".

However, things can be very different when you are no longer the most wealthy and powerful kid around. You have competition. In other words, while wealth and power may still give you prestige, "popularity" does not follow automatically. All of a sudden, the wealthy and powerful a**hole in the neighbourhood is perceived more as a bully than anything else. The dynamics of the whole neighborhood begins to change. Alliances, both overtly and covertly formed against the bully, begin to emerge. The previous exclusive control of the wealthy a**hole kid over other neighborhood kids begins to erode. In a scenario like that, the "popularity factor" may just be "X factor" that those "challengers", who may still not have quite the same wealth and power, need to tilt the balance of power in the neighbourhood.

I think this is more or less the scenario now. While a lot of Americans, especially the Republicans, still don't give a damn what the rest of the world think of them and do things that are extremely unpopular in the eyes of the rest of the world, they don't realize that they are giving away this "X factor" to their challengers, the number of which is growing, as seen in Maju's post. In a world exclusively dominated by American political and economic interests, this "X factor" may not be that significant. But in a more competitive environment, the significance of this factor may be more crucial than one realizes as more options (political and economic) are now available to both countries and individuals.

It is almost inevitable that the United States's share of global political and economic influence will continue to decline. The last thing that the United States wants is to lose out to its challengers when it comes to this "X factor", i.e. popularity, as well.      

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:45

In domestic politics, popularity means you can get elected to something.

In international politics, popularity usually means you have no power.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

In international politics, popularity usually means you have no power.

I am not sure if I can agree with this statement. I think until quite recently, the United States had always been one of the most "popular" countries in the world. (I am not saying that it didn't have any critics or enemies. It had plenty. But no country is immune to that.) Its "popularity" has sunken to an all-time low ever since George W. Bush took over the presidency. Was the United States less "powerful" than it is now? Definitely not. So how do you explain this huge drop in "popularity"?

I think how Canadians feel about the United States is probably one of the best thermometers for its popularity abroad. Canadians have always rightly regarded the United States its closest ally, if not its "sister nation". But the popularity of the United States in the eyes of Canadians has sunken so low recently that there must be something "extra" going on.

I think a plausible explanation goes back to what I mentioned in an earlier post. The world that we are living in is quite different from that even just about one decade ago. We are living in a world where American hegemony is in its inevitable decline. Various other political and economic powers are starting to emerge. Countries that used to celebrate their close ties with the United States begin to see and seek alternatives. In other words, they now have more options. That, coupled with the series of serious strategic mistakes that the United States have made recently, has turned what was previously felt as "awe" into "anger". Hence the huge drop in popularity of the United States in the eyes of the rest of the world.  

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 16:11
Maybe a poor choice of words.  the hegemon certainly has no popularity.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 16:23

Maybe a poor choice of words.  the hegemon certainly has no popularity.

That's true to a certain extent. It's harder for very powerful countries to gain universal approval of what they do - probably because they are involved in so many different parts of the world which inevitably requires them to take side.

"Lesser" countries, such as Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, etc. are always viewed more favourably by others (i.e. more popular) simply because their degree of international involvement is limited by their size.

I am curious to know what's the current popularity of the United States compared to other more notable "powers" (e.g. Japan, Russia, China, France, U.K., Germany).   

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:08
Originally posted by Genghis

That is all true, but the benefits of better image must be weighed against the costs, and vice versa.  The thing I was saying is that global opinion is not an end in and of itself, but a means to an end, no better or worse than any other means.

Which is the end then?

One problem of modern international politics is that there doesn't seem to be any objective other than perpetuation of Capitalist explotation and maybe the protection of the local corporations, that constitute the olygarchy that actually runs the local pieces, like the USA and the others.

So which is the end for you then?

I think the end should be to build a stable system that is not likely to self-destroy via ecological catatrophe or nuclear war, while at the same time making sure that Human Rights apply universally.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:25

Originally posted by Genghis

Which is the end then?

One problem of modern international politics is that there doesn't seem to be any objective other than perpetuation of Capitalist explotation and maybe the protection of the local corporations, that constitute the olygarchy that actually runs the local pieces, like the USA and the others.

So which is the end for you then?

I think the end should be to build a stable system that is not likely to self-destroy via ecological catatrophe or nuclear war, while at the same time making sure that Human Rights apply universally.

The means of international politics, serve the means of increasing the economic, military, and political power of the state, which themselves are means to increasing the security and prosperity of the state and its citizens.

Member of IAEA
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by flyingzone

I am curious to know what's the current popularity of the United States compared to other more notable "powers" (e.g. Japan, Russia, China, France, U.K., Germany).   

I'd say that China is very popular, as is Germany and possibly even more agressive France. Not sure about the UK, who is seen normally as an extension of the USA but with monarchy all that folklore but Japan has a quite low popularity now, after supporting the USA and getting in conflict with all its neigbours. India and Brazil, which you don't mention but are great powers too, are seen with quite sympathy, I believe.

Russia is watched with respect and some fear but it's not liked under Putin.

Of course you can be internationally popular, like Gorby, and fail at home... but I feel that Gorbachev wasn't doing things that bad anyhow.

I'm always surprised at the relative popularity of Israel. They have a very good marketing campaign - though, of course, being the main protegee of the boss will force others to deal with you even if they don't like it.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 04:08
Genghis, im in agreement with the bulk of your initial post on this and would love to go to Cuba and back to the '50s one day. Isnt it time for the thing to end though?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 09:06

Originally posted by cattus

Genghis, im in agreement with the bulk of your initial post on this and would love to go to Cuba and back to the '50s one day. Isnt it time for the thing to end though?

It is time for it to end, but don't look for the US government to acknowledge a Western Hemisphere "communist" state.  See the extensive discussion of Monroe Doctrine in Modern History. It has nothing to do with communism anymore, but it is the perception that unfavorable out-of-hemisphere influence might be accepted.

When the Fidel cult of personality expires, Cuba will re-engage.  Who will make the first move?  Can't say.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 09:16

Maju:

I doubt that China is popular with her neighbors.  Many of them may be looking at the growth of Chinese economic strength and military spending with trepidation.  How popular do you think China is in Tibet?

Historically, Eastern cultures tend to coalesce around a center.  Korea, northern Indo-China and others (even to a small degree Japan) have at times been under strong Chinese influence, at least culturally, and sometimes drawn into China's orbit due to her power.  Korea, and perhaps much later, Japan, may be so aligned at some time.

They will put up with it.  It does not mean the center is popular.

The more powerful China grows the less popular she will be.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 10:18

It is time for it to end, but don't look for the US government to acknowledge a Western Hemisphere "communist" state. See the extensive discussion of Monroe Doctrine in Modern History. It has nothing to do with communism anymore, but it is the perception that unfavorable out-of-hemisphere influence might be accepted.

When the Fidel cult of personality expires, Cuba will re-engage. Who will make the first move? Can't say.

There is a very concrete benefit of having an embargo on Cuba: American local politics. It serves two purposes:

a) It helps politicians to show how "strong" they stand against "Communism" or dictatorships

b) It keeps the Cuban voter block happy in Florida

Basically, it helps Republican politicians, even though it costs the U.S. a lot of money now and then when massive numbers of Cubans arrive in Florida and are given their sweat deal assistence.

I heard on the radio that in the 1980s, Cuban expatriates got an on a special U.S. paid welfare where they got more money a month than American citizens. They also got extensive help in finding jobs, housing, and with education, opportunities which American citizens in poverty didn't enjoy at the time.

So many of these immigrants got out of welfare in record time... the same time it would have taken American citizens had they been given the same opportunities that these political refugees got.

Add this to the loss of international support, and I truthfully don't believe that the embargo is worth it. In fact, I see Fidel falling fasting without an embargo, once his biggest excuse for the failures of Cuba is grabbed away from him.

But it helps get Republicans elected in Florida, and in the South, so that is well spent money.

But Cuba is not really a deal breaker for the international community. They may be annoyed by it, but they won't stop cooperating with the U.S. because of it.

A deal breaker was Bush's behavior in going into war in Iraq. His rush to start a fight, his and Blair's dubious grounds for war, and his public bullying of Germany and France in his attempt to join him really soured Europe towards U.S.

Even after the initial occupation was over, Germany and France were ready to participate in a limited extent in Iraq and its reconstructions. Bush's childish rejection of their economic and potential military involvement really closed the door for future help.

Things changed when things got very bad in Iraq. Suddenly Bush was willing to share reconstruction projects with Germany and France in exchange for military support. Guess who declined the offer now?

So, in concrete terms, the U.S. under Bush, by acting in ways that made it very unpopular in the rest of the world, is lacking logistical and military help that it now desperately needs.

So it is unpragmatic to consistently anger, ignore, and humilliate the international community.

If an act that will provoke anger and resentment is not absolutely necessary, it is wiser and more pragmatic not to do it is the loss of military and economic help outweighs the benefits from the act. In the case of Iraq, the loss was much greater than the gains, which at this point and for the next ten years are none.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 10:19

It is time for it to end, but don't look for the US government to acknowledge a Western Hemisphere "communist" state. See the extensive discussion of Monroe Doctrine in Modern History. It has nothing to do with communism anymore, but it is the perception that unfavorable out-of-hemisphere influence might be accepted.

When the Fidel cult of personality expires, Cuba will re-engage. Who will make the first move? Can't say.

There is a very concrete benefit of having an embargo on Cuba: American local politics. It serves two purposes:

a) It helps politicians to show how "strong" they stand against "Communism" or dictatorships

b) It keeps the Cuban voter block happy in Florida

Basically, it helps Republican politicians, even though it costs the U.S. a lot of money now and then when massive numbers of Cubans arrive in Florida and are given their sweat deal assistence.

I heard on the radio that in the 1980s, Cuban expatriates got an on a special U.S. paid welfare where they got more money a month than American citizens. They also got extensive help in finding jobs, housing, and with education, opportunities which American citizens in poverty didn't enjoy at the time.

So many of these immigrants got out of welfare in record time... the same time it would have taken American citizens had they been given the same opportunities that these political refugees got.

Add this to the loss of international support, and I truthfully don't believe that the embargo is worth it. In fact, I see Fidel falling fasting without an embargo, once his biggest excuse for the failures of Cuba is grabbed away from him.

But it helps get Republicans elected in Florida, and in the South, so that is well spent money.

But Cuba is not really a deal breaker for the international community. They may be annoyed by it, but they won't stop cooperating with the U.S. because of it.

A deal breaker was Bush's behavior in going into war in Iraq. His rush to start a fight, his and Blair's dubious grounds for war, and his public bullying of Germany and France in his attempt to join him really soured Europe towards U.S.

Even after the initial occupation was over, Germany and France were ready to participate in a limited extent in Iraq and its reconstructions. Bush's childish rejection of their economic and potential military involvement really closed the door for future help.

Things changed when things got very bad in Iraq. Suddenly Bush was willing to share reconstruction projects with Germany and France in exchange for military support. Guess who declined the offer now?

So, in concrete terms, the U.S. under Bush, by acting in ways that made it very unpopular in the rest of the world, is lacking logistical and military help that it now desperately needs.

So it is unpragmatic to consistently anger, ignore, and humilliate the international community.

If an act that will provoke anger and resentment is not absolutely necessary, it is wiser and more pragmatic not to do it is the loss of military and economic help outweighs the benefits from the act. In the case of Iraq, the loss was much greater than the gains, which at this point and for the next ten years are none.

The U.S. can gain back good will by making meaningless concessions such as lifting the embargo to Cuba, but our current administration lacks this kind of diplomatic imagination.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 10:23

Gengish,international popular image is central to international relations.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 12:45

More so than international power?  All I'm saying is that popular image is a form of soft power, that should be judged no better or worse than any other form of power, after all the goal of a country should not be popularity but increasing it's power relative to others.  If there is the choice between being weak and popular and strong and disliked, one should choose strength.

I'm not a great fan of the embargo, and I don't think it isn't that tangibly useful now that Cuba is no longer an ally of the Soviet Union, and certainly not as useful as the embargo against North Korea.  However, I fear that if the embargo is lifted the world community or certain members their of will be tempted to think that they have succeeded in forcing a change of US policy and might be more emboldened to try to do so in the future.  Castro will also make as much use as he can out of any end of the embargo by saying that the imperialists are giving up their campaign against Cuba.  I also think the embargo serves, to an extent, to show to other states in the Americas and across the world that interfering with US interests will have severe consequences.  I'd also have to consider whether a more prosperous Cuba would use its new wealth to undermine US interests in the region.

I would definitely consider ending the embargo if I thought it was good politics.

I'll make another thread to discuss the Cuban Embargo in the Current Affairs and International Relations forum.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 13:06
Genghis,

A good image is strong power. Being strong and liked is not mutually exclusive. In fact, when one is strong, it is very important to be liked, at least my important allies.

I will give you a commercial example. AT&T for the longest time was a monopoly. It was strong. Many people disliked it for it. So what did they do? They had a long-term good will publicity campaign. They kept stressing how AT&T was good for people, good for our country, good for our economy in the form of research and development. It served them well. Their monopoly spanned for almost 100 years.

Had AT&T been ruthless and disregarded public opinion, a public outcry against it would have brought an end to its monopoly decades before it happened.

Remember, a country can be a lot more weaker than anyone thinks it is.

And weaker countries can appear much stronger with the right perception.

The USSR was a weaker country than most people believe it was. It was perceived as a great threat though.

The US was thought of as a much stronger country, until the problems of Iraq and the financial problems of fighting a war by itself showed it to be much weaker than anyone thought.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>