Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adams Bridge - Ramayana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adams Bridge - Ramayana
    Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 23:57
Mr. Hashim, I do not understand, when you say that, "You can build a place without maths".

Coming to Mr. A. P. Singh:
In fact, c. 2500-2000 years back, archeologists opine that Sri Lanka / Ceylon was attached to South India (K. K. Pillai, Southern India and Sri Lanka, University of Madras, Madras).

Then, there was no necessity for Rama to build a bridge on any account.

Or if we go by NASA's dating, none could visualize such map of India and Lanka and we do not know as to how Rama built the bridge using stones and boats.

About the location of Ramayan Lanka, there have been different views.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 01:28
Originally posted by Rajput

Sikh scriptures state that Guru Nanak himself (born into Kalyug) was around 8-9 feet tall and Guru Gobind Singh was 7-8 feet tall.  One of their disciples Baba Buddah aged to be almost 300 years before he passed away.  The Dasam Granth of Guru Gobind Singh clearly states that the two clans Bedi (Vedi-Vedas) and Sodhi are of the lineage of Luv and Kush.

A 300 year old lifespan is very hard to verify, how was this even suspected I am curious to know. And as far as being 8 feet tall, what is the tallest human today? 7.5 feet? That might not be so impossible but is there not some upper limit to which humans can grow beyond which they just die because of problems? Like 7.5 feet?
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 01:57
I understand Rajput has been suspended as appearing in the column.

So how he would respond.

I do not know as to whether, we can comment on the postings and the persons posted that are suspended / banned.

If it is allowed, I shall try to respond.
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 07:31
The correlation of geological years with history is very difficult. However, there certain points which could not be explained by historians.

I have already presented a paper "Jurassic park in Valmiki Ramayaya" in All India Ramayana Conference held at Tirupati.

In Valmiki Ramayana, Valmiki mentions about elephants with three and four tuskers, other strange animals with thick skin, big size strange birds etc.

They are just the ones of "Jurassic period". So how a poet could imagine such things?

Then comes the question of Lanka - whether this Sri Lanka was "the Ramayana Lanka"?
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 05:48

The Indian astronomers starting with Surya Siddhanta mentions four cities situated on equator at 90 degrees - Yamakoti, Siddhapura, Romaka and Lanka.

So, whether this Lanka could be the Ramayana Lanka?

Incidentally, the ancient Tamils of the Sangam period record about the landmass south of the ancient Tamizhagam with Pakhruli river, Kumariyaru, Kumari hill etc. and it is known as "Kumarik Kandam".

Incidentally, the submerged landmass was reportedly extended upto equator.

sayak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 11:24

i do not see any man made structure in the picture at all. ramayana is a mythological story, most of it is but colourful imagination- no need to take them seriously.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 05:04
It is NASA that reported as "man made bridge" and that was picked up newspapers and published becoming popular among different groups and circles for discussion and debate, continuing even today with vigour.

H. D. Sankalai, the noted archaeologist, has written the following books:

Ramayana Myth and Reality, Peoples Publishing Co, New Delhi.

Ramayana in Historical Perspective, MacMillan, New Delhi.

As an archaeologist, based on the archaeological evidences, he has shown to what extent Ramayana is "real" and as well as "myth". Of course, there have been lot of research, studies etc., have been made and available in net and as well as in the archieves, libraries.

So if you say, it is a "myth" alltogether, kindly say it with evidences, so that I can know better.

Thanking you.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 08:21
"Myth" has unique connotation in history and historical epistemology.

Myth is demythologized in history with historical knowledge through historical processes.

There are myths to be understood subjectively and objectively using ontological and epistemological analysis.

Historians say unwritten events "prehistory" also, instead of telling it as a "myth". Or as in the case of IVC, it could be "proto-hitoric" instead of "prte-historic", as script was there but not deciphered. However, there are scholars like Steve Farmer, who says that the people of IVC were "illiterates"!

So myths cannot be ignored as "myth" by historians, as they too create "historical myths".
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
divyabhatia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote divyabhatia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 03:49
That Humans in their present form my not have existed in that time is only thought because no proof has yet been found that they did.Please read book by erich von daniken : chariots of the god and gold of the god . These books will open your eyes.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 21:12

I tried to post my paper, A Jurassic Park in Valmiki Ramayana, but, it is not posted in AE for the reasons not known to me.

Though, I requested Moderator, there was no response so far. So I reproduce part of my paper in this context as response to your comments:

Valmiki, Charles Berlitz, Sankalia: The names of the scholars are used here to denote figuratively certain group of schools or thinking behind the scholars and not to individualise or otherwise. Charles Berlitz says that the writer of Ramayana must have actually travelled in an airplane to describe earth, when he was doing so through Rama to Sita sitting in a Pushpaka vimana! Erich Von Daniken, Raymond Drake and other scholars also point out that the ancients had flying machines or airplanes. However, Sankalia and his followers or the scholars who have such thinking doubt everything that is supernaturalized, the plane, the divine weapons and so on! But, modern minds could not accept without any material evidences datable to such hoary past. Sankalias argument has been discussed already. Now, where to draw line among these scholars?

1.     Ancient poets describing animals or events datable to hoary past.

2.     Modern writers giving scientific interpretation and accepting such past and also producing some material evidences.

3.     Archaeologists and historians denying such past not accepting the material evidences produced by the above on the plea that they are not obtained from the scientifically excavated sites.

Here, each group is separated by time and place factors. The first group cannot come to argue their case, whereas, the other two groups would always stick to their stand. There are limitations in each field and the experts of the fields cannot assert that their conclusions alone are final and others should accept.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 03:27
Rama is placed in c.4400 BCE by some scholars, how then, the date of Krutayuga fits for Ramayana?
ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 05:33
My reply to some of the questions raised in this thread:

Q) Why did Rama build a bridge instead of crossing over in a ship?
A) The number of soldeirs in Rama's army was huge. You might have to build too many ships to cross over. Ramayana says "thousand crore monkeys crossed over". We can take this number to be a poetic exageration but the fact remains that the number was on a higher side. Moreover, the sea god himself says that the waters are rough and he willnot be able to go against nature (even if god wishes, he shall not breach the law of nature, is the beauty of Hinduism). I have given below the slokas depicting it.

pR^ithivii vaayur aakaasham aapo jyotiH ca raaghavaH |

svabhaave saumya tiSThanti shaashvatam maargam aashritaaH || 2-22-25

O, beloved Rama! Earth, wind ether, water and light remain fixed in their own nature, resorting to their eternal path.

tat svabhaavo mama api eSa yad agaadho aham aplavaH |

vikaaras tu bhaved raadha etat te pravadaami aham || 2-22-26

Therefore, I am fathomless and my nature is that it is impossible of being swum across. It becomes unnatural if I am shallow. I am telling you the following device to cross me.

na kaamaan na ca lobhaad vaa na bhayaat paarthiva aatmaja |

raagaannakraakulajalam stambhayeyam kathamcana || 2-22-27

O, prince! Neither from desire nor ambition nor fear nor from affection, I am able to solidify my waters inhabited by alligators.

vidhaasye yena gantaasi viSahiSye hyaham tathaa |

na graahaa vidhamiSyanti yaavatsenaa tariSyati || 2-22-28

hariiNaam taraNe raama kariSyaami yathaasthalam |

O, Rama! I shall make it possible to see that you are able to cross over. I will arrange a place for the monkeys to cross me and bear with it. As far as the army crosses me, the crocodiles will not be aggressive to them.

Q) How was it possible to build such a bridge across the Ocean?
A) It was a planned effort and did not happen easily. Nala, the son of Viswakarma, the celestial architecht was a good architect as his father. I am giving below the slokas and their translations on the bulding of the bridge. The posting of slokas are too long, but then just read them, they are wonderful and worthwhile.

aurasastasya putro.aham sadR^isho vishvakarmaNaa|

smaarito.asmyahametena tattvamaaha mahodadhiH || 2-22-50

na ca api aham anukto vai prabruuyaam aatmano guNaan |

I am a son born of Visvakarmas own loins. I am equal to Visvakarma. This god of Ocean has reminded me. The great ocean spoke the truth. Being unasked, I have not told you my details earlier.

samarthshcaapyaham setum kartum vai varuNaalaye || 2-22-51

tasmaadadyaiva badhnantu setum vaanarapuN^gavaaH |

I am capable of constructing a bridge across the ocean. Hence, let the foremost of monkeys build the bridge now itself.

tato nisR^iSTa raameNa sarvato hari yuuthapaaH || 2-22-52

abhipetur mahaaaraNyam hR^iSTaaH shata sahasrashaH |

Then, being sent by Rama, hundreds and thousands of monkey heroes jumped in joy on all sides towards the great forest.

te nagaan naga samkaashaaH shaakhaa mR^iga gaNa R^iSabhaaH || 2-22-53

babhanjur vaanaraas tatra pracakarSuH ca saagaram |

Those army-chiefs of monkeys, who resembled mountains, broke the rocks and trees there and dragged them away towards the sea.

te saalaiH ca ashva karNaiH ca dhavair vamshaiH ca vaanaraaH || 2-22-54

kuTajair arjunais taalais tikalais timishair api |

bilvakaiH saptaparNaishca karNikaaraishca puSpitaiH || 2-22-55

cuutaiH ca ashoka vR^ikSaiH ca saagaram samapuurayan |

Those monkeys filled the ocean with all types of trees like Sala and Asvakarna, Dhava and bamboo, Kutaja, Arjuna, palmyra,Tilaka, Tinisa, Bilva, Saptaparna, Karnika, in blossom as also mango and Asoka.

samuulaamH ca vimuulaamH ca paadapaan hari sattamaaH || 2-22-56

indra ketuun iva udyamya prajahrur harayas taruun |

The excellent monkeys, the forest animals lifted and brought, like Indras flag posts, some trees with roots intact and some others without roots.

taalaan daaDimagulmaamshca naarikelavibhiitakaan || 2-22-57

kariiraan bakulaannimbaan samaajahruritastataH |

From here and there the monkeys brought Palmyra trees, pomegranate shrubs, coconut and Vibhitaka, Karira, Bakula and neem trees.

hastimaatraan mahaakaayaaH paaSaaNaamshca mahaabalaaH || 2-22-58

parvataamshca samutpaaTya yantraiH parivahanti ca |

The huge bodied monkeys with mighty strength uprooted elephant-sized rocks and mountains and transported them by mechanical contrivances.

prakSipyamaaNair acalaiH sahasaa jalam uddhatam || 2-22-59

samutpatitam aakaasham apaasarpat tatas tataH |

The water, raised up due to sudden throwing of mountains in the sea, soured upward towards the sky and from there again, gushed back.

samudram kshobhayaamaasurnipatantaH samantataH || 2-22-60

suutraaNyanye pragR^ihNanti hyaayatam shatayojanam |

The rocks befalling on all sides perturbed the ocean. Some others drew up strings a hundred Yojanas long (in order to keep the rocks in a straight line.)

nalaH cakre mahaasetum madhye nada nadii pateH || 2-22-61

sa tadaa kriyate seturvaanarai rghorakarmabhiH |

Nala on his part initiated a monumental bridge in the middle of the ocean. The bridge was built at that time with the cooperation of other monkeys, of terrible doings.

daNDananye pragR^ihNanti vicinvanti tathaapare || 2-22-62

vaanaraiH shatashastatra raamasyajJNaapuraHsaraiH |

meghaabhaiH parvataabhashca tR^iNaiH kaaSThairbabandhare || 2-22-63

Some monkeys were holding poles for measuring the bridge and some others collected the material. Reeds and logs resembling clouds and mountains, brought by hundreds of monkeys, lead by the command of Rama, fastened some parts of the bridge.

puSpitaagraishcha tarubhiH setum badhnanti vaanaraaH |

paaSaaNaamshca giriprakhyaan giriiNaam shikharaaNi ca || 2-22-64

dR^ishyante paridhaavanto gR^ihya daanavasamnibhaaH |

Monkeys constructed the bridge with trees having blossom at the end of their boughs. Some monkeys looking like demons seized rocks resembling mountains and peaks of mountains and appeared running hither and thither.

shilaanaam kSipyamaaNaanaam shailaanaam tatra paatyataam || 2-22-65

babhuuva tumulaH shabdas tadaa tasmin mahaaudadhau |

Then, a tumultuous sound occurred when the rocks were thrown into the sea and when mountains were caused to fall there.

kR^itaani prathamenaahnaa yojanaani caturdasha || 2-22-66

prahR^iSTaijasamkaashaistvaramaaNaiH plavaN^gamaiH |

On the first day, fourteen Yojanas of bridge were constructed by the monkeys speedily, thrilled with delight as they were, resembling elephants.

dvitiiyena tathaivaahnaa yojanaani tu vishatiH || 2-22-67

kR^itaani plavagaistuurNam bhiimakaayairmahaabalaiH |

In the same manner, on the second day twenty Yojanas of bridge were constructed speedily by the monkeys of terrific bodies and of mighty strength.

ahnaa tR^itiiyena tathaa yojanaani tu saagare || 2-22-68

tvaramaaNairmahaakayairekavimshatireva ca |

Thus, on the third day twenty-one Yojanas of the bridge were constructed in the ocean speedily by the monkeys with their colossal bodies.

caturthena tathaa caahnaa dvaavimshatirathaapi vaa || 2-22-69

yojanaani mahaavegaiH kR^itaani tvaritaistataH |

On the forth day, a further of twenty-two Yojanas were constructed by the dashing monkeys with a great speed.

paJNcamena tathaa caahnaa plavagaiH kshiprakaaribhiH || 2-22-70

yojanaani trayovimshatsuvelamadhikR^itya vai |

In that manner, on the fifth day, the monkeys working quickly constructed twenty-three yojanas of the bridge up to the other seashore.

sa vaanaravaraH shriimaan vishvakarmaatmajo balii || 2-22-71

babandha saagare setum yathaa caasya tathaa pitaa |

That Nala, the strong and illustrious son of Visvakarma and an excellent monkey built the bridge across the sea as truly as his father would have built it.

sa nalena kR^itaH setuH saagare makara aalaye || 2-22-72

shushubhe subhagaH shriimaan svaatii patha iva ambare |

That beautiful and lovely bridge constructed by Nala across the ocean the abode of alligators, shone brightly like a milky way of stars in the sky.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 05:40
Continuing the questions from the previous post:

Q) Was Rama very tall? What was his physique like?
A) I do not think Rama was unnaturally tall. IN fact he is described as Medium Tall in Ramayana. However, tall and medium are relative terms and could differ based on too many factors. Unfortunately, whereever there are comparisons, there are a lot of poetic exaggerations and it becomes difficult to validate the claims given in the verses as they are. However, from whatever little knowledge of Valmiki's Ramayana I have, Rama was not a Gigantic being.

buddhimaan niitimaan vaa~Ngmii shriimaan shatru nibarhaNaH |

vipulaa.mso mahaabaahuH ka.mbu griivo mahaahanuH || 1-1-9

"He is an adept one, moralist, learned, propitious, and a destroyer of enemies. His arms are lengthy, and his neck is like a conch-shell, and cheekbones high... [1-1-9]

mahorasko maheSvaaso guuDha jatruH arindamaH |

aajaanu baahuH sushiraaH sulalaaTaH suvikramaH || 1-1-10

"He is lion-chested, thick-shouldered, knee-length are his arms, and his is longbow, an enemy-subjugator, and his emperor's countenance is with a crowning-head with an ample forehead, and his pacing is lion-like... [1-1-10]

samaH sama vibhak{}ta a.ngaH snigdha varNaH prataapavaan |

piina vakSaa vishaalaakSo lakSmiivaan shubha lakSaNaH || 1-1-11

"He is medium-sized physically, with limbs poised symmetrically, sinew-chested, wide-eyed, complexioned glossily... he is a prosperous personality with all the providential features, and thus he is self-resplendent... [1-1-11]

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 05:43
Hi,

If there are any problems with the history of man on this planet, we should look at the bigger picture.

I have come accross some very nice documented evidence of man's antiquity here:  http://www.mcremo.com/fa.htm and here:  http://www.humandevolution.com/ There is also some very useful insights here: http://www.talkorigins.org/

I hope this is of some help to those of you who have some confusion...

Your Servant
Del

Edited by del108 - 09-Mar-2007 at 05:54
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 07:38
Dear Del108,

Frankly I do not understand what you mean by looking at a bigger picture. Relevant to this case, if you mean so say that Human history is shorter than the time frame given here for the age of bridge (as I assume to know what you mean), there are a few points to be understood:

1) The main question is whether the said bridge is man-made or a geological phenomenon.

2) If it were a geological phenomenon it would assume a great importance for geologists and scientists, making it very important for us to preserve it.

3) If it were man-made but not built by Rama, still it is of extreme importance as an archeological site. Probably classifying as one of the man made wonders of the world.

4) If it could be anywhere closer related to Shri Rama, the importance would be the greatest, since it has a religious connotation and probably the biggest find relating the religion (especially dharmic) and also of archeological imporatance attached with religion.

I am not a scientist but a religio-history buff. Still, I would not blindly negate any chance of pre-dating existing history. How many times have we (as mankind) changed the history of earth and mankind? Do you remember till last year we had nine planets around the sun and now astro-physicists have disqualified Pluto from being a Planet? Do you remember how Steve Hawking challenges Einteins theory which we thought is the ultimate on astro physical findings? Do you notice that Darwin's theory is being questioned heavily (and for who knows that it might be replaced by another theory of evolution in the future)?

As Saint Avvaiyar said "what is learnt (by mankind) is a handful and what is not as big as the world we live".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12