Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XI.4 - Thanks for playing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XI.4 - Thanks for playing!
    Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 23:53
Q8. What sea-faring people, whose expeditions include places like Britain and Iceland, had their most important base of operation at a place named for a trio of cities? The nickname of one particular leader of this group refers to the person's beard. (By Invictus) Barbary Coast Pirates, who operated in Tripoli ("three cities") in modern-day libya. The Barbary corsairs were a significant pirate group who ventured into many different lands, including Britain and Iceland. One of their leader was nicknamed "Barbarossa" (red beard) by western sources. The key part in this question is about Tripoli. The rest of the question was only there into fooling the reader to give "Vikings" as the answer!

While I got this one right, I think that the reference to Tripoli as their main base is truly misleading: the main base of Barbary Corsairs was Algiers (Al Djazar), specially in times of Barbarossa. Tripoli is probably in the minds of people of US culture because the US fought against Tripoli but mentioning this city as "the main base" is truly confusing.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 00:00
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Congrats to Decebal. He has answered the question. 

Congrats, indeed. That was hard!

How do Dawn and Decebal manage to get so many right?!

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 02:28
Congrats Decebal,  I guesss the hint is enough then.  I am extremely driunk right now, so pm me if you need extra hints.  If Imperator Invictus approves of extra hints, I can give them tomorrow moring, but I am about to pas out right now.  
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 02:53
Extra hint for #15: The country/empire/nation I found was known for a very sought after commodity that would drive men crazy.  Sorry I am a little drunk right now.    If anything, it is best to talk to II!
AAAAAAAAAA

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 04:50
I m feeling Mila's hot breath behind me! !
0.27 ?come on...! how this happened ?
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 11:28
We only have a few hours left for round two. Sorry that I wasn't able to update scores until right now.

0.27 ?come on...! how this happened ?

The bonus points are given based on the percentage of questions answered.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 11:33
Well that was my last guess (and I doubt it is right) cause I have to go to work.  Congrates Decebal.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 11:39

Originally posted by Dawn

Well that was my last guess (and I doubt it is right) cause I have to go to work.  Congrates Decebal.

Congrats to you Dawn, for another well played round! I always look to you (especially now that poirot is no longer playing but moderating the quiz), as my main rival! Well, I guess that between the two of us, we can continue the Canadian dominance of the TQ. I think you won the overall Quiz XI standings anyway, so congratulations on that one!

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 12:01
Originally posted by Digenis

I m feeling Mila's hot breath behind me! !

Can I at least say I came 13th out of the thousands of members on this forum? Or can I only say from those who did the quiz?

Congrats Decebal and Dawn. The rest of you, you can join me for a beer and some sad music.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 14:19
That's it. Stay tuned for awards. I hope you all had fun playing TQ.

So how did you like it?

Answer to the round two question:

Q15. I am a man of legends, known as the father of a once glorious country. My name, which reminds one of a certain Disney movie, is partly derived from the name of a woman with unattractive looks. Who am I?
  • Sundiata Keita Sundiata Keita or Sunjata Keita (meaning the Lion King )(c. 1190 - c. 1255) is a semi-historical hero of the Mandinka people of West Africa and is celebrated in the Epic of Sundiata as the founder of the Mali Empire. Sundjata is also known by the name Sogolon Djata. The name Sogolon is taken from his mother, the buffalo woman (so called because of her ugliness), and Djata. In the rapidly spoken language of the Mandinka, the two names were merged to become Sondjata of Sundjata or Sundiata. The last name Keita is a clan name more than a surname. The story of Sundiata is primarily known through oral tradition, transmitted by generations of Malian griots. The famous Moroccan traveller Ibn Battuta visited the Mali Empire in the years 1352 and 1353, and his account is an important first-hand written description of this empire.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 15:01
Well done Dawn and Decebal on a another brillant performance!  Thanks to everyone for participation and fun.
AAAAAAAAAA

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 18:17
While I got this one right, I think that the reference to Tripoli as their main base is truly misleading: the main base of Barbary Corsairs was Algiers (Al Djazar), specially in times of Barbarossa. Tripoli is probably in the minds of people of US culture because the US fought against Tripoli but mentioning this city as "the main base" is truly confusing.

Thanks for your comments. Maybe that question was more confusing than it was meant to be. lol.

Just before we conclude everything, are there any question on the scoring of the quiz?
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 19:34

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

That's it. Stay tuned for awards. I hope you all had fun playing TQ.

So how did you like it?

Well, this was my first TQ and I had loads of fun.

And I learned alot about catholicism, thanks to Mila's question.

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 19:57
A big thanks to all involved in the creation of this TQ.
I thorougly enjoyed trying to get the answers correct - and it was very educational as well.

Of course, in the unbearable bright light of hindsight, we all could claim that this or that question should have been asked differently.
But I think all the authors did a great job.

Keep up the good work - I'm looking forward to the next one. 
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 21:03

Awards for Total Quiz XI.4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators' Awards

The New Player Award
For outstanding performance as a first-time participant
Gohan

The Close Answer Award
For a close but not quite correct answer to a difficult question.
BoudiccasWrath
For the answer:
"The Scorpian King (aka King Serket)? Sounds like "The Lion King" and Herodotus did travel there and write about it. Other then that I can't connect the rest of the dots..."

Total Quiz XI.4 Main Award

and the winner of Total Quiz XI.4 goes to:

Decebal
Winner of Total Quiz XI Part 4

Congratulations to all participants!

I hope all enjoyed this TQ. We definately had some very tough and frustrating questions but hopefully, you all had fun looking for the answers! Please let me know if you have suggestions or comments for the TQ.

Overall Results for Total Quiz XI will be posted shortly...

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 22:26
Overall Results for Total Quix XI has been posted:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11126&am p;PN=1&TPN=1

I also apologize for any errors that were previously posted on the awards sheet. I got it slightly mixed up with the overall awards. : /
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 23:58
congrats to decebal for winning the battle, and to Dawn for winning the war.

I'll be back.

P.s. shouldn't we be voting for the best question?
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 03:27
my respect goes to dawn. and all others who answered and performed the questions. wish i would have more time to be a serious opponent ,but work family and various things. i would like to esthablish a trivia histoy quiz. may be someone has interessts in those things.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 04:52

Originally posted by Maju

Q8. What sea-faring people, whose expeditions include places like Britain and Iceland, had their most important base of operation at a place named for a trio of cities? The nickname of one particular leader of this group refers to the person's beard. (By Invictus) Barbary Coast Pirates, who operated in Tripoli ("three cities") in modern-day libya. The Barbary corsairs were a significant pirate group who ventured into many different lands, including Britain and Iceland. One of their leader was nicknamed "Barbarossa" (red beard) by western sources. The key part in this question is about Tripoli. The rest of the question was only there into fooling the reader to give "Vikings" as the answer!

True..Barbarossa, who had later got into command of Suleiman I of Ottomans, was the governor of Algeria before..And later been made "Beylerbeyi" of Algeria by Suleiman I the Magnificent either...

So, Maju's point about Algeria is totally right, as the initial and main center was Algiers.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 05:01

The Scorpian King (aka King Serket)? Sounds like "The Lion King" and Herodotus did travel there and write about it.

Or - Kublai Kahn (reminds of Shere Khan - the tiger in the Jungle Book) - visted by Marco Polo. 
Although I had a feeling that was too obvious, apparently there could be more answers to this question.

Just an observation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>