Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Individual Soldiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Individual Soldiers
    Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:07
Useless stepps,you mean siberia where are situated most of the world resources.

Common now, Russia sold Alaska for pittence, shows how much they value their terretory.

Its no secret that they were jelous of the Ottomans and always wanted to enter the Hot Southern Seas but were never able to.

Anyway, today they can, loads come on holiday to Turkey and would love to live there.

These woman set up this pro-Turkey site, now it has over 10,000 members, Russians can now go to the warm seas without fighting much better isn't itSmile
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

NightHawk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote NightHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:54
I would have to go with the Scottish Highlanders. Their bravery in battle has been known in time and time again. From the time of Branckobackburn to the 52nd Highlanders of WW2 fame.
Remember The Alamo
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 18:50
Originally posted by NightHawk

I would have to go with the Scottish Highlanders. Their bravery in battle has been known in time and time again. From the time of Branckobackburn to the 52nd Highlanders of WW2 fame.

Not Highlanders. Most of Scotlands wars until pretty much the Jacobites were won by Lowlanders. The Highlander think is mostly a mix of Victorian and current American romanticism.

And I dont get how that makes them any more brave? In both conflicts you name (namely the various English-Scottish wars and WW2) there have been non Highlander/Scottish units better than them.(bravery cant be measured really).
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 21:15
Bulgarians in the 20th century, showed great courage and heroism, and profesionalism too.
rock strongo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rock strongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 16:10
Hi,

The Vikings have to be the best soldiers.  They were expert sailors and warriors.  Sort of like marines.  They made surprise attacks and overwhelmed their opponents before they could organize suffcient forces to stop them, much like modern special forces.

Viking ships went down the length of the Volga, over the ocean to North America and throughout the Mediteranean.

They were an unstoppable hit and run opertation.
Alcohol and night swimming, its a winning combination.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Dampier

Originally posted by NightHawk

Not Highlanders. Most of Scotlands wars until pretty much the Jacobites were won by Lowlanders. The Highlander think is mostly a mix of Victorian and current American romanticism.

And I dont get how that makes them any more brave? In both conflicts you name (namely the various English-Scottish wars and WW2) there have been non Highlander/Scottish units better than them.(bravery cant be measured really).

I would not say the Scots are the "Greatest Individual Soldiers"(I would not say any ethnicity was), but they have been historically good warriors. Though I do admire their bravery of the Highland Regiments(I wrote an article about them, here), I agree with Dampier here. The Lowlanders did fight in every Border Conflict against England. The Highlanders were pratcially non-existent in the Scottish Wars of Independence, and in many other wars. The Lowlanders are historically just about as tough as the Highlanders. Both were famous for their military abilities. Both Highlanders and Lowlanders fought overseas much in the 17th Century, forming a Scots Brigade in Gustav Adolphus's army, and even fighting for the Dutch on certain occassions. They have also served as generals and lieutenants in foriegn armies. I think the Highlanders made up some of the greatest regiments in the British Army from 1750-1898, but their main greatness was being fearless and being great when it hand-to-hand combat. Dampier is correct in saying that the Highlanders have been romanticised here in America. The Highland Regiments ceased to have the same performanceafter the advance from single-shot rifles to bolt-action rifles,  they were not able to do many bayonet charges(except for some in World War I, and even one in Iraq). In the modern era, all British regiments are just about equally as "brave". I believe sometimes bravery and great performance in battle are used interchangeably. However, the Highlanders today are as brave as any other regiment in the British Army. I have not studied up on the other Scottish regiments in the British army that much, but, they seem to have been very tough and brave throughout history(Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Royal Scots Guards, etc.)

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 06:02
In general Barbarossa all the Scottish regiments have been just as brave, the Royal Scots Grays too much so really. And of course the Scots Guards are excellent- Guards division being suppossedly the best soldiers of the line regiments (line as in non-SF).
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 11:07
May be bulgarian Guard Cavalry.They didnt have a single defeat.Our cavalry also kicked Cossacks,French,Ottomans,Greeks,Serbians and many others.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 15:03

In general Barbarossa all the Scottish regiments have been just as brave, the Royal Scots Grays too much so really. And of course the Scots Guards are excellent- Guards division being suppossedly the best soldiers of the line regiments (line as in non-SF).

Yes, definitely true. The Highlanders get so much credit because they were unique. They had a kilts, they had a bagpiper, and they had tam o' shanters. The attractiveness of seeing these warriors in battle has led to the common stereotype that Highlanders are the only brave Scots.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 12:12
Originally posted by Desimir

May be bulgarian Guard Cavalry.They didnt have a single defeat.Our cavalry also kicked Cossacks,French,Ottomans,Greeks,Serbians and many others.
Bulgarian Cavalry? I never recall it having any impact in any war we (Greece) got involved.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:00
beating disorderly despots is not a success.what is bulgarian guard cavalary?its like a unit name in MTW2 :)
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 17:57
I dont know the exact translation but they were elite cavalry unit.Direct translation is Guard Cavalry.And they fought in every major war of bulgaria.Their glorious moments were during WW1 when they fought against cossacs and others russian elite units in Romania.

Edited by Desimir - 22-Sep-2006 at 17:59
LilLou View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote LilLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 22:56
mexican army in 1910 to 1917
LilLou View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote LilLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 22:59
mexican army in 1910 to 1917 for those who fought against oppression
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 10:05
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yes, definitely true. The Highlanders get so much credit because they were unique. They had a kilts, they had a bagpiper, and they had tam o' shanters. The attractiveness of seeing these warriors in battle has led to the common stereotype that Highlanders are the only brave Scots.

Well the Irish also have those items but they are onyl used by the Irish military and frankly the idea of Irishmen fighting for Britain isnt as exciting for either Brits or Americans.

I'd put forward the French Imperial Guard, they arent basic troops but those men were tough.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 15:09

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Well the Irish also have those items but they are onyl used by the Irish military and frankly the idea of Irishmen fighting for Britain isnt as exciting for either Brits or Americans.

But the Irish stole the kilt and tam o' shanter from the ScotsLOL.

Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 19:39
The strongest and the most disciplined elite force was the Janissaries. They were Christian slaves taken from the Balkan provinces of the Ottoman Sultanate. They were raised to serve the sultan and fight against the enemy. They were also the first gunpowder infantry of the world and first people to use the gunpowder in battles.

Edited by Celestial - 25-Sep-2006 at 19:43
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 20:38
Originally posted by Celestial

The strongest and the most disciplined elite force was the Janissaries. They were Christian slaves taken from the Balkan provinces of the Ottoman Sultanate. They were raised to serve the sultan and fight against the enemy. They were also the first gunpowder infantry of the world and first people to use the gunpowder in battles.

sounds like a farm. raising soliders to fight. soudns like a farm of christian kids taken away from mommies and daddies to fight for a tyrant who eventually would rule over the sick-man of Europe.
Mark I. View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mark I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 11:16
Finns, no contest.
macon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote macon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 14:16
Infantry:

Spartan hoplites
Macedonian heavy infantry with long spikes
Roman legionary
Vikings (Varangian guard as derivation)
Janissary
Swedish infantry in 17th century
Prussian infantry in 18th century
Napoleon's guarde troops

Cavalry:

Mongol cavalry
Polish heavy cavalry in 17th century