Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mapping religion in the United States

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mapping religion in the United States
    Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 21:52

Four interesting maps showing religion and religiosity in the United States:

Map 1: "Religious adherents as a percentage of all residents"

Map 2: "Pentecostals as a percentage of all residents"

Map 3: "Leading church bodies" shows which denominations are in the majority in each county. Catholics are the largest denomination in the USA - over 40% of Americans are Catholic. Only in the southeast and the lower midwest are Baptists in the majority.

Map 4: "Muslims as a percentage of all residents"

http://bornagainredneck.blogspot.com/

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 02:53
nice post, I never realised Catholics were so strong.

The centre of Alaska has some muslims? Is that one person in a region of one thousand?
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 08:36

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The centre of Alaska has some muslims? Is that one person in a region of one thousand?

It probably is

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 10:13

American industrial cities have been heavily Catholic for more than 100 years.  The immigration from Latin America will also have an effect on the southern states.  Many Latinos are devout Catholics.

The same concern about immigration and changing religious attitude was voiced when Catholic immigrants came here from Ireland, and central Europe and southern Europe.  It will change America, etc.  Well it did: it made it stronger and better.

The differences in Christian denominations tend to be rather minor:  issues of arcane theology and of doctrine.  More differences are generated by language, but that is another issue.

I think we are flexible enough to deal with assimilation and with language problems.  Learning another language isn't that hard.  if it were, fewer would do it.

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 10:31
Could someone explain what the 'Christian' denomination represents in the third map?  Is that like 'born-again-Christian'? 

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 10:58

nice post, I never realised Catholics were so strong.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 13:14
Originally posted by jayeshks

Could someone explain what the 'Christian' denomination represents in the third map?  Is that like 'born-again-Christian'? 

I believe that it just means 'non-denominational' Christians. Some are born-agains, and some are not.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 04:39
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I believe that it just means 'non-denominational' Christians. Some are born-agains, and some are not.

What actually is a born again Chrisitan? How do they differ from the other sects?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 09:17

What actually is a born again Chrisitan? How do they differ from the other sects?

havent you met one? Im from the bible belt in sydney. They were the very annoying people at my school who didnt think orthodox was 'christian' enough or in some cases at all, and that I needed further education on what to belive in.

Generally they are baptist or some kind of 'new' church based on (or a offshoot of) an USA evangilist model. My area has one big and also (but not suprising) very profitable church.

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 10:26

Ah so they're 'other' but not one of the groups listed in the 'other' category
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 21:55

Did the Snake Handlers make it in there somewhere?

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by Leonidas

havent you met one? Im from the bible belt in sydney. They were the very annoying people at my school who didnt think orthodox was 'christian' enough or in some cases at all, and that I needed further education on what to belive in.

Generally they are baptist or some kind of 'new' church based on (or a offshoot of) an USA evangilist model. My area has one big and also (but not suprising) very profitable church.

I probably have met one, but haven't paid any attention to them. Just about all the christians I know are anglican, catholic or orthodox.

Usually when I go to Sydney I go to Parramatta. Where abouts is the "bible belt"?

I find it odd that some of the new churches coming out of the US measure sucess in the amount of money they make.
 Post Reply Post Reply