Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do Arab countries lose wars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Arab countries lose wars?
    Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 07:57

And looking at the Iran-Iraq war you could ask this question of the Iranians as well. Shooting your best generals. colonels and sargents is a disaterous way to fight a war.

Part 1

http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/AD_Issues/amdipl_17/articl es/deatkine_arabs1.html

Part 2

http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/AD_Issues/amdipl_17/articl es/deatkine_arabs2.html

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 08:12

After two years we pushed the Iraqis onto their own soil.  When the Iraqis attacked 40% of the military had deserted and its most apt officers had been purged Stalin style for their perceived loyalty to the former Shah.  During the Shah's era it was a different story, in the 70s, according to an Israeli military attache the Iranian army was as good as any conventional force in NATO.

You cannot lump the Iranian military into this category, your link also has this to say:

Iraqis showed ineptness against an Iranian military ripped apart by revolutionary turmoil in the 1980s and could not win a three-decades-long war against the Kurds.

The Iraqis were halted at first by irregular paramilitaries, one example is Iranian civilians opening the Karun dam and wiping out half an Iraqi division.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 09:48

iran had no army, no support, no allies, the mullahs were executing many soldiers who were still loyal to the shah, etc...

and we still managed to beat the iraqi's back.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 10:18
This really isn't a post classical middle east topic since the links mostly talk about 20'th century wars. I'll move it to Modern history instead. I'm sure Pikeshot, Decebal  and Genghis would love me for this. They do tend to interact well when the discussion is about wars.  
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 13:03

this war with no doubt was inconclusive the real loser were the people of Iraq and Iran,Saddam the shamefull waged it and Khomaini refused to stop it and accept the truce.

but you can't say the Iranian military was better than Iraqi's cause if this true the Iranian would end the war in short period due to their superior forces in number and quality as well as human waves I won't enter in more details like campagins and operations cause I hate this war as well as the second gulf war and Kuwait invasion.

about your question Sparten I think the lose because it is not our greatest time like any nation have been through in same situation.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 14:41
Simply because both Iran and Iraq had goverments which they did not like  that much(Saddam-Mullahs).......
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:48
Because there's a planetary status quo that is centered in the USA and its rich and privileged allies. These want to keep Arabia divided and weak and have the power to do so - at least so far. They control the strings of money and can summon armies with the best equipement, training, logistics and intelligence. They have maybe thousands of people just processing the economic and gepolitical data with the objective of making sure that they always win. That the colonies remain colonies.

Due to the assimilation of British interests into the USA, something that has happened specially in the first half of the 20th century, first in America and then elsewhere, the USA now considers Arabia and all the Middle East as it used to consider Latin America not long ago: a place to play cruent games of power. The USSR helped to contain their influence a little but now there's no counter-power: the duality is over. Arabs are therefore on their own forces - which are obviously limited.

Everything that goes up must eventually fall down again... but what meanwhile?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:53
So, what is the reason Arabs lose wars?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 08:27
Are we asking why the Iraqis and Iranians performed how they did in their war, or discussing 20th century military setbacks of Arabs as a whole?
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 11:52
Do Arabs really lose their wars?
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 11:57
Do Arabs fight wars to begin with?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 19:43

Originally posted by Mira

are you being serious?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 19:55

Originally posted by xristar

Do Arabs really lose their wars?

1980-88.

Name an Arab state or army that has won a war in the last 60 years, except for King Hussein's kick-ass campaign against the PLO (Arabs)

Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 20:09
Bahiran, Qatar, and the UAE never went into any wars.
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 20:10
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

Originally posted by Mira

are you being serious?

I think he's not....
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 20:10

Originally posted by Renegade

I believe all those states had contingents in the allied army against Iraq in 1990-91.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 20:18

Originally posted by Renegade

they werent nations until 30 years ago anyway. and besides, all of them supported iraq, they were iraqs allies in the war against iran. so they have taken part in war, although indirectly.

Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 20:33
They don't have good leaders and are very dependent to west.

Edited by Perspolis
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 22:51
They dont have new techonology, the terrain is desert which means a western army can cut across it easily and they can't hide like the Vietnamese in forests and they rely on God to give em a hand??
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 22:58
Why Arabs loose wars? The Israeli army is simply too good.
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>