Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

April 12- Yuri Gagarin goes into space

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 12- Yuri Gagarin goes into space
    Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:49
April 12 is the 102nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (103rd in leap years). There are 263 days remaining.

Wikipedia
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 05:58
APRIL 12:

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 07:16
23 Farvardin  Day Be Deen = Creator Day

241: Shapur I The Great coronation day, He recorded events of his reign in Kaab-e Zartosht inscription, Naghsh-e Roostam, Pars province.

Kaab-e Zartosht

Shapur I, son of Ardashir I (226241), was King of Persia from 241 to 272. The Persian legend which makes him the son of an Arsacid princess is not historical.

Shapur I was the son of Ardashir I and Lady Myrd. He participated in his father's campaign against the Arsacids. Ardashir I "judged him the gentlest, wisest, bravest and ablest of all his children" and nominated him as his successor in an assembly of the magnates. He appears in Ardashir I's Sasanian Investiture reliefs at Naq-e Rajab (q.v) and Firuzbd as the heir apparent (Hinz, 1969, pp 56ff and passim). He later shared rulership with his father. Bal'ami states that "Ardashir I placed with his own hand his own crown upon Shapur I's head." Mas'udi confirms this, adding that Ardashir I then retired to serve God and lived for a year or longer. The testimony of the Cologne Mani Codex that in Mani's twenty-fourth year, i.e. in 240, Ardashir I "subjugated the city of Hatra and King Shapur I, his son, placed on his head the great (royal) diadem." This codex also indicates a period of synarchy. In late 242, the Emperor Gordian III (238244) sent a letter from Antioch in Syria to the senate claiming that he had removed the threat "of Persian Kings" (reges persarum) from the city. This means that in 242 Persia had two kings. Indeed, Ardashir I's later coins continues his usual reverse type of an elaborate fire altar and the legend: "Fire of Ardaxtar," but it portrays him facing a youthful prince. This symbolically represents Shapur I, and includes a new legend, "Divine Shapur King of Iran whose seed is from gods." Shapur I's own coins show him wearing his famous mural crown and a fire altar flanked by two attendants. Clearly, Ardashir I issued that series when he appointed Shapur co-regent. A rock-relief at Salms in Atropatekan (today known as Azarbaijan) province depicting two horsemen both wearing Ardashir I's lower-type crown also dates from this period of synarchy. Another relief at Drbgerd represents a victory of Shapur I over the Romans, but the King wears Ardashir I's crown, thereby symbolizing the shared victory of both father and son.

War against the Roman Empire

Ardashir I had, towards the end of his reign, renewed the war against the Roman Empire. Shapur I conquered the Mesopotamian fortresses Nisibis and Carrhae and advanced into Syria. Timesitheus, father-in-law of the young emperor, Gordian III, drove him back and defeated him at Resaena in 243. Timesitheus died shortly afterward, and Philip the Arab (244249) murdered Gordian III. Philip then concluded an ignominious peace with the Persians in 244. When the invasion of the Goths and the continuous elevation of new emperors after the death of Trajan Decius (251) brought the Roman Empire to dissolution, Shapur I resumed his attacks.

Shapur I conquered Armenia, invaded Syria, and plundered Antioch. Eventually, Emperor Valerian (253260) marched against him, but was taken prisoner in the Roman-controlled province of Edessa when he attempted to meet for negotiations in 260. Shapur I advanced into Asia Minor, but Ballista beat him back. Septimius Odenathus, prince of Palmyra, rose in his rear, defeated the Persian army, reconquered Carrhae and Nisibis, captured the royal harem, and twice invested Ctesiphon (263265) in Khvarvaran province (in present-day Iraq).

Shapur I receives the homage of Valerian, the Roman Emperor he defeated and took prisoner.

Capture of Valerian

One of the great achievements of Shapur I's reign was the capture of the Roman Emperor Valerian. In the valley of Istakhr (near Persepolis), under the tombs of the Achaemenids at Naksh-i Rustam, Shapur I is represented on horseback wearing royal armour and crown. Before him kneels Valerian, in Roman dress, asking for grace. The same scene is represented on the rocks near the ruins of the towns Darabjird and Shapur in Persia. Shapur I is said to have publicly shamed Valerian by using the Roman Emperor as a footstool when mounting his horse. After Valerian's execution, his skin was removed, filled with dung, and displayed publicly as a symbol of Shapur I's triumph.

Friend to the Jews

Shmuel, one of the most famous of the Amoraim of "Bavel" (Babylonia), was occasionally referred to as Shvor Malka, which is the Aramaic form of the name of the Persian King, by Shapur I, with whom Shmuel was quite friendly. Because of this friendship, many advantages were gained for the Jewish community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapur_I
http://www.chn.ir/news/?section=2&id=30556 (Parsi)

http://www.iranianshistoryonthisday.com/FARSI.ASP?u=&I1. x=27&I1.y=12&GD=12&GM=4
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:37
1204    The Fourth Crusade sacks Constantinople.

1606    England adopts the Union Jack as its flag.

1770    Parliament repeals the Townsend Acts.

1782    The British navy wins its only naval engagement against the colonists in the American Revolution at the Battle of Saints, off Dominica.

1811    The first colonists arrive at Cape Disappointment, Washington.

1861    Fort Sumter is shelled by Confederacy, starting America's Civil War.

1864    Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest captures Fort Pillow, in Tennessee.

1877    The first catcher's mask is used in a baseball game.

1911    Pierre Prier completes the first non-stop London-Paris flight in three hours and 56 minutes.

1916    American cavalrymen and Mexican bandit troops clash at Parrel, Mexico.

1927    The British Cabinet comes out in favor of voting rights for women.

1944    The U.S. Twentieth Air Force is activated to begin the strategic bombing of Japan.

1945    President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies at Warm Spring, Georgia. Harry S. Truman becomes president.

1954    Bill Haley records "Rock Around the Clock."

1955    Dr. Jonas Salk's discovery of a polio vaccine is announced.

1961    Soviet Yuri Alexeyevich Gagarin becomes first man to orbit the Earth.

1963    Police use dogs and cattle prods on peaceful civil rights demonstrators in Birmingham, Alabama.

1966    Emmett Ashford becomes the first African-American major league umpire.

1983    Harold Washington is elected the first black mayor of Chicago.

Born on April 12

1777     Henry Clay, the "Great Compromiser", American politician and statesman who ran unsuccessfully for president three times.
1791    Francis Preston Blair, Washington Globe newspaper editor.
1838     John Shaw Billings, American librarian, army physician.
1949    Scott Turow, writer and attorney.

http://www.historynet.com/tih/tih0412/
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:31
April 12 is the day in 1945 when Rivka Soloman, a Jewish woman from Sarajevo who was kept in (they say Birkenau, others say Auschwitz, I think they're the same thing?) gave a performance.

Deathly thin and bald she performed Kad ja podjoh na Bembasu (When I go down to Bembasa), a Jewish folk song and the official city anthem of Sarajevo, from the minaret of the Tsar's Mosque in Bascarsija. In the video she is so weak that an Imam and some other man are holding her up.

The next year she was the first ever Jewish Miss Sarajevo.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 13:15
Also, occurring today in

1834 - Harriet Burbank Rogers was born. Rogers co-founded a school for the deaf in Massachusetts. She was selected to direct the Clarke School for the Deaf in 1867, which was previously known as the Clark Institution for Deaf Mutes. She was firmly committed to oral teaching and lipreading techniques, despite critisims from the manualists who promoted the exclusive use of manual alphabets and sign language.

Source: : http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9083734

1844 - Mollie Evelyn Moore Davis was born. She is known as a poet and an editor. At the age of sixteen she began writing for Tyler newspapers, and her poems attracted the attention of Edward H. Cushingqv of the Houston Telegraph. During the next five years, she wrote most of her best poetry and gained a statewide reputation.

Source: http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/DD/fda44 _print.html

1975 - Josephine Baker died. American born Josephine Baker became virtually an instant hit and one of the best-known entertainers in both France and much of Europe. Her exotic, sensual act reinforced the creative images coming out of the Harlem Renaissance in America. During World War II Josephine Baker worked with the Red Cross, gathered intelligence for the French Resistance and entertained troops in Africa and the Middle East. After the war, Josephine Baker adopted, with her second husband, twelve children from around the world, making her home a World Village, a "showplace for brotherhood." In 1975, Josephine Baker's Carnegie Hall comeback performance was a success, as was her subsequent Paris performance. But two days after her last Paris performance, she died of a stroke. She died in Paris and was buried in Monaco. She became the first American woman to receive French military honors at her funeral.

Source: http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/bake-jos.htm

Josephine Baker

Josephine Baker

Josephine Baker singing the American
national anthem in Nigeria during
World War II
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:55

First man in space, the Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, orbited our planet on 12 April 1961:

Post Reply Post Reply