Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Ameridians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Beneeza warrior View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beneeza warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Ameridians
    Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:39

chhzaglao,  paioxh!

I have always been asking this question- Why didt the Ameridians in the north make complex nations like the Meso-Americans or the Inca(quechua)?

viva los Beneezas!

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:13

Beneeza, Itzelotl, Ometeist Monk:

the fact that the native population in Aridoamerica performed different cultural demonstrations doesn't means that they were not as complex as the one's in Mesoamerica.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 22:48
As far as complexity goes, I agree with Jalisco.  The North American indians had a rich and complex culture as far as language, customs, and religion are concerned.  However, it can be argued that North American indian societies were not as centralized as those of the Central American civilizations.  They did not have a centralized government, economy, and currency like, say, the Aztecs or the Mayans.  The North Americans had a more or less loose federation of tribal alliances and more localized economies.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 23:46

There were actually soem highly complex nations such as the Mississipi Mound builders and the Anasazi who built cities and civilisations to match Mexico.

But building sophistication doesn't always mean cultural acheiment. You should read about Lewis and Clarks expedition before you make any naive judgements about the north.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16565

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8419

Finally I just finished reading an excellent book that included Apache courting practice. More subtle, more sophisticated, more romantic than anything we have today.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:18
Originally posted by Paul

Finally I just finished reading an excellent book that included Apache courting practice. More subtle, more sophisticated, more romantic than anything we have today.

Maybe you can write an article or thread on that. Looks interesting.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ITZOCELOTL View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITZOCELOTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:20
Can you end this meaningless fight jalisco? can we get back to history?
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
   -Emiliano Zapata-    
Knight
Knight

Quote ITZOCELOTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:26

But the north Ameridians never had large large armies and cities well i guess most didnt. I admit they have a cool culture but why didnt they build huge cities?

anyways respect to North Ameridians if there are any in this forum.

-Emiliano Zapata-    
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:54
Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

But the north Ameridians never had large large armies and cities well i guess most didnt. I admit they have a cool culture but why didnt they build huge cities?

anyways respect to North Ameridians if there are any in this forum.

Most Native Americans didn't develope into civilizations. Some, like Mayans, seem to have fled from them. Civilization is not any panacea: just something that happens in the right conditions. These conditions disn't exist in the savage prairies - maybe in the woodlands but they were far enough from the civilization centers of Mesoamerica.

In many cases you will see, if you study anthropolgy or archaeology, that hunter-gatherers prefer their way of life compared with civilization and even rural agriculture. They take some advances at wish, trading maybe with the farmers for pottery or other products but remaining for generations (if allowed) in their hunter-gatherer way of life basically. These peoples and their cultures are called "sub-Neolithic".

I guess that, if America would have remained isolated, we would have seen the prairie tribes to become the Scythians and the Tatars of that land, the ones that would have invaded the civilized centers that arose in Mesoamerica and possibly elsewhere. One wouldn't expect Scythians or Mongols to have built huge cities... yet they palyed an important role in Eurasian history, either as nomadic warriors or intercontinental traders. Of course, they would have needed horses probably.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:05
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Iroquois or the Cherokees.

Both of these groups had a complex society.

If we are looking for warrior cultures, then the Lakota (Sioux) are the people to look at.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by hugoestr

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Iroquois or the Cherokees.

Both of these groups had a complex society.

Indeed.
Has anybody read 1491, by Charles Mann? It's a very good book, in the final capital he argues that the whole concept of freedom as we know it today is more derived from the Iroquois than from Western Civilization. A.o. Locke, Rousseau and Paine are said to be influenced by them. Mann states that if a (western) person would meet an Iroquois of 500 years ago and a European of 500 years ago, he would probably notice that the Iroquois would be more like himself than the European. And I think he's right. Europe used to be strictly hierarchical, autoritarian and generally unfree, while the Iroquois used to be anti-autoritarian, slavery was completely unknown and nobody was allowed to take away other people's liberty.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 11:12
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Mann states that if a (western) person would meet an Iroquois of 500 years ago and a European of 500 years ago, he would probably notice that the Iroquois would be more like himself than the European. And I think he's right. Europe
used to be strictly hierarchical, autoritarian and generally unfree, while the Iroquois used to be anti-autoritarian, slavery was completely unknown and nobody was allowed to take away other people's liberty.

Well ... that's a bit idealized in some ways, but I'd somewhat agree that politically we are much like them.

The Iroqouis were very, very advanced politically and within the demos of the Confederacy, most of these notions about personal freedom etc holds true ...

However, the Iroqouis were also an extremely warlike power, who waged genocidal wars against their neighbours (eg the Hurons, the Neutrals, etc). Many tribes were forced to submit and pay tribute in order to be permitted to continue to exist on their own land. One reason the Iroqouis were generally able to hold their own in negotiations with Europeans - until the Revolution, at any rate - was that they did have a concept of payment for defined territory. And unlike the natives of Mexico and the Yucatan, the Iroqouis certainly had a concept of total war, of war waged to decimate the enemy's population - there was nothing ritualized about Iroqouis warfare. The English more or less paid the Danegeld to them for many, many years - even as late as the Albany Congress, the Iroqouis were the foremost power in the northeast.

Another thing about the Iroqouis was that they didn't have much of a focus on individual rights. They had a focus on social responsibility, and would likely find us to be very selfish and socially irresponsible. Certainly they would see putting individual rights ahead of social welfare as entirely disagreeable.

Edited by edgewaters
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 11:41
I understood that at least on one occasion Iroquois offered a defeated tribe to join their league... or leave the lands.

Anyhow this "demologic" warfare seems more the sort one would expect from Paleolithic hunter-gatherers than post-Neolithic nomads and farmers.

And you're surely very right about social responsability: that must come with the very fact of tribal life, where the community is what matters most. Our society is allienated of itself precisely through that selfishness and individualism: but it is how it works.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 12:07
Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

Can you end this meaningless fight jalisco? can we get back to history?

First of all, get the facts straight. Quote your sources and mainly STOP POSTING BY USING MULTIPLE IDENTITIES.
Knight
Knight

Quote ITZOCELOTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 12:18

I dont have multiple names jalisco. We are just amigos and share the same views! I could say that guy "Cuauhtemoc" who" always agreed with you against me was really just you using multiple names! just because he always agreed with you! but I dont really care if you are Cuauhtemoc! so get off my back etze

-Emiliano Zapata-    
Knight
Knight

Quote ITZOCELOTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 12:21
Has anyone seen "Into the West"? or "The New World" they are really good films about Northern Ameridians
   -Emiliano Zapata-    
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 01:55
Originally posted by Maju

I understood that at least on one occasion Iroquois offered a defeated tribe to join their league... or leave the lands.

No. The Tuscarora joined the League in 1722, fleeing their homeland after a war with European settlers, and arrived near Oneida territory as refugees - they were not conquered. I'm not really sure what the Iroqouis reason was for including them in the Great Peace. In that same year, colonial delegates were told by the Grand Council that they were at war with the Nahyssan, against whom we have had so inveterate an enmity that we thought it could only be extinguished by their total extirpation. Apparently colonial authorities wanted an end to the conflicts between the Iroqouis and the Siouan tribes (including the Nahyssan) and managed to broker a peace. Seven years later, at a renewal of the 1685 covenant with Virginia and Maryland, Governor Alexander Spotswood assented to Iroqouis demands to be permitted to exterminate the Nahyssan. So obviously they were still practicing genocide at this time, why the Tuscarora were accepted can only be guessed at. The Tuscarora may have been considered "civilized" from the Iroqouis perspective, perhaps, where the Siouan tribes and the Hurons were not. The nature of the Iroqouis motives are not well understood, except that they claimed to be bringing the Great Peace.

Anyhow this "demologic" warfare seems more the sort one would expect from Paleolithic hunter-gatherers than post-Neolithic nomads and farmers.

Hmm. I'm not really sure what you mean here. Demologic? War outside the demos? Isn't it always, except in civil wars? Organized warfare seems to be very much part of the agrarian package.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 16:13
Demologic: "with a demographic logic" - according to my own very personal dicctionary.  I meant wars that seeked the actual removal of the defeated population and not their subjugation. Genocidal wars by other term.

I'm pretty sure that Engels mentions a case when the Iroquois offered a adeated nation to join them but the other tribe rejected and prefered the exile.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 09:05

Demologic: "with a demographic logic" - according to my own very personal dicctionary. I meant wars that seeked the actual removal of the defeated population and not their subjugation.

Well, they did seek subjugation. They just wouldn't include the subjected in the League itself. And they had a curious way of doing it, they made apparently 3 offers to submit or die, if all 3 were rejected then it was war, with no more negotiation, just the utter destruction of the refuser.

Subjugation meant that they would pay tributes to the Iroqouis and allow the Iroqouis to control their trade routes. Such tribes would also be forced to disarm, disband their warrior societies, and were forbidden to conduct any sort of sovereign negotiation or diplomacy. Outside of their small homeland in upper NY state, the League itself, they controlled a vast territory, much of present day Ontario, and all around the Great Lakes basin, from Vermont to Ohio. This whole area was filled with such disarmed, neutralized tribes, but they were not members of the league (although they seem to have been part of the so-called "Great Peace"). In that sense, there were literally hundreds of tribes in the Iroqouis "empire", an estimated 400 000 souls at its greatest extent, but only 5 (and later 6) of these were members of the League, with a total population of no more than 25 000 at its peak.

Once a tribe refused to submit, there was no more negotiation. And they didn't want the land (submission was more like a condition of being allowed to be neighbours - the process is even somewhat evident in the wampum covenants they made with the first European settlers), so it was not really a matter of exile, though I suppose if they fled far enough they might have put themselves out of reach. They were offered three wampums of peace, like treaties containing provisions to disarm, pay tributes, etc, and if all three were rejected, it was war to the utter end.

Edited by edgewaters
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 12:12
Interesting. So the Iroquois had an Empire with subjugated tributary peoples who could not defend themselves. That means that tribal nations, even if they are matrifocal, also can organize vast territories and multiple peoples politically. This is very interesting. In fact I see the Iroqouis league as one of the most fascinating examples of tribal organization in the whole planet and they seem to illustrate possible happenings in other latitudes, which are only documented archaeologically. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 21:51

Interesting. So the Iroquois had an Empire with subjugated tributary peoples who could not defend themselves.

Exactly so. The "Great Peace" was an idea of the strength of the League through peace. Peace between the League members meant that they always outnumbered their opponents, who were divided. The greater peace over their neighbours meant, for those who submitted, that they no longer needed to worry about warfare - they were protected by the Iroqouis. Ironically, though, this peace was made possible by an unprecedented and ongoing campaign of genocidal warfare.

That means that tribal nations, even if they are matrifocal, also can organize vast territories and multiple peoples politically. This is very interesting. In fact I see the Iroqouis league as one of the most fascinating examples of tribal organization in the whole planet and they seem to illustrate possible happenings in other latitudes, which are only documented archaeologically.

Right, I don't think it's all that uncommon really, just that the Iroqouis are the best documentation we have of it because they were relatively recent (I think the Americas as a whole are useful in this way of understanding how societies evolved during the chalcolithic period). It's the formation of an early sort of state. It seems agriculture is probably the catalyst, and I think if the evidence is really looked at carefully, there's no reason to think that the first agrarian, matrifocal societies were very peaceful at all. Rather they seem to have been the first to practice a kind of organized warfare that went beyond simple raiding; the long-term pacification of neighbours was, I suppose, necessary for agrarian economies - there had to be an end to raiding for livestock etc. Where pastoral peoples could just move away if their neighbours were difficult, or counter-raid them to steal back what was taken, an agrarian society was rooted in place and had to come up with a solution to the problem of dealing with neighbours - it is not surprising that the answer eventually seems to be, in many cases, either federating, subjugating, or warring.

Edited by edgewaters
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>