Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prizren, Kosova

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prizren, Kosova
    Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 22:43
Prizren, Kosova
S E R B I A  A N D  M O N T E N E G R O

I got this message from an online friend in Turkey:

And decided to make a shrine to my twin's hometown... hahaha:

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 22:58

Wonderful pictures as usual Mila . By the way, I was wondering if you could answer a quick question for me. What is the religious breakdown in Bosnia? Thanks again for posting those beautiful pictures.

-Akolouthos

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 23:15
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Wonderful pictures as usual Mila . By the way, I was wondering if you could answer a quick question for me. What is the religious breakdown in Bosnia? Thanks again for posting those beautiful pictures.

-Akolouthos

Thanks.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 23:19

Thank you much Mila .

-Akolouthos

Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 18:32
Fantanstic picture.
where is your hometown MILA.
Could you post some picture from your hometown?

Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 18:46
Mila With Scarf(full Hijab)

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 12:43

Wonderful pictures dear MILA, I guess it's time to ask you THE question which most of the time comes to my mind and that is (be honest while replying) "Do you work for any Tourist Agency or Organization? " lol Because the pictures you post, makes one to visit it, they are amazing...

Looking toward a honest reply?

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 12:46
No, but I think they should pay me a commission.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 00:20
Prizren is probably the most traditional town in all of Kosova. Through the high Turkish minority in the city it has maintained strong links to its Ottoman past. The place is probably about 1/5th the size of Tirana but must have 5 times as many mosques.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 06:33

Prizren is wonderful, with the cultural heritage, and with the history. The town has been central in both albanian and serbian history, in different eras. As Theodore pointed out, the town is known for its ottoman architecture.

But just one correction, dear Mila, Serbia & Montenegro doesnt exist anymore. You should write at the headline Prizren, Kosova, Under UN interim administration (and soon independent)
Prej heshtjes...!
miki015 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote miki015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 01:23
Arber,SERBIA does exists!!!The greatest mosque in Prizren,the famous Sinan's pasha mosque has been built from the stolen blocks from the St.Archangels churc,built by Serbian tzar Stefan Dusan Silni...read history...
Sa verom u Boga
za Kralja i Otadzbinu
Miki
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 03:55
Originally posted by miki015

Arber,SERBIA does exists!!!The greatest mosque in Prizren,the famous Sinan's pasha mosque has been built from the stolen blocks from the St.Archangels churc,built by Serbian tzar Stefan Dusan Silni...read history...

Serbia and Montenegro is what he said, and he is correct that entity no longer exists. If you had had read the post properly you would have seen that he never said that Serbia does not exist.

Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 00:05
Nice pics. I love cities that are crossed by rivers

Serbia is also in my touristic agenda, as well as Croatia and perhaps BH (I would like to go to Mostar, just to take a look and spend a few days there).

Knez Lazar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Knez Lazar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 03:02
First of all, Kosovo (also, Kosmet) is STILL an autonomous provicne within SERBIA. It's historically Serbian land. It's still officially and internationally called KOSOVO, not Kosova, as the author of the topic and other participants in this topic  insist on calling it.

Second of all, I really have no intention of turning this topic into a political discussion, but because I've seen some Albanians and pro Albanians here favoring Kosovo's independece, I feel that I have to point this out. If Kosovo gains independance there will be no guarantees that this will not be sighted as precedent for the Serb Republic in Bosnia and numerous other regions. If the vast majority of the people in the Serb Republic are in favor of becoming part of Serbia, then why not let them hold a referendum on secession of Bosnia?

And finally, whoever is the moderator of this subforum ("Historical Pictures Gallery") should feel ashamed of his ignorance concerning the title of this thread. Therefore, I request that moderator/admin. at least changes the title "Prizren, Kosova" to "Prizren, Kosovo, Serbia."
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 12:20
And the Voivodina was an autonomous province within Hungary. We didn't want to give it away, but there were living more serbs than hungarians and a "higher power" (a contract wich was writen without any of our opinions etc) gave it to you. I think this will be the case with your country and Kosovo, too.

I feel with you. (just kidding,  I don't...)

Edited by Tar Szernd - 06-Dec-2007 at 17:58
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by Knez Lazar

First of all, Kosovo (also, Kosmet) is STILL an autonomous provicne within SERBIA. It's historically Serbian land. It's still officially and internationally called KOSOVO, not Kosova, as the author of the topic and other participants in this topic  insist on calling it.

Second of all, I really have no intention of turning this topic into a political discussion, but because I've seen some Albanians and pro Albanians here favoring Kosovo's independece, I feel that I have to point this out. If Kosovo gains independance there will be no guarantees that this will not be sighted as precedent for the Serb Republic in Bosnia and numerous other regions. If the vast majority of the people in the Serb Republic are in favor of becoming part of Serbia, then why not let them hold a referendum on secession of Bosnia?

And finally, whoever is the moderator of this subforum ("Historical Pictures Gallery") should feel ashamed of his ignorance concerning the title of this thread. Therefore, I request that moderator/admin. at least changes the title "Prizren, Kosova" to "Prizren, Kosovo, Serbia."

Because historically the "Serb Republic" has been a part of Bosnia. More importantly because it is based on ethnic cleansing and genocide. Two whole populations were almost entirely eradicated from the demographics of the "Serb Republic" within the years 1992-4. Maybe that is why? Maybe because of Banja Luka, or Srebrenica, or Bijelijna.

Comparions between the two are irrelevant. One is an entity created within the war, the other a historical entity with TWO historical populations of SERBS and ALBANIANS (alongside minority populations ).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 15:49
Kosovo is and independent autonomous province within Serbia under the juristidiction and control of an international interim government that adimisters and babysits the squabbling parties within Kosovo.

It is hardly a practical part, it is theoriatically and LEGALLY a part. However, legallity and practicallity do not coincide all the time.

The name of the thread is ok, Kosovo/Kosova whatever sounds more or less the same. The thread is not on Serbia altogether, but on Kosovo.

You will not create a thread on the entire USA to post a few pictures of Springfield, IL will you?

Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 17:44
Hummm, though I would prefer to stick to the topic, I must interrupt to tell Es Bih that RS is based on ethnic cleanseing just as much as the "Albanian Kosovo" is.
In the early XXth cent. more than half of Kosovo's population was Serbian. After 2 ethnic cleansings (WW1 and WW2),  the forbidance (under Tito's orders) of the return of the Serbian refugees after 1945 and a 3rd ethnic cleansing (this time under NATO's auspices), the Serbia population in Kosovo is now of just a few thousands.
So, the legitimacy is the same for both parties: the Albanians in Kosovo and the Serbians in Bosnia. Oh, and more legitimcy have the Flemish in Belgium; and the Galicians, the Catalonians and the Basques in Spain, and the Russians in Trans-Dnistrya and Ukraine; and so on and so on... and why not? But its not a matter of legitimacy, is a matter of politics...

Anyway, Mila, which places in BH would be worth visiting besides Mostar (and a national park near Bihac which I don't now if it's safe to visit)?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 19:23
The thing is that historically that region had had a sizable Albanian population, and accounts trying to discredit that in order to tip the balance more to the Serb side are flawed and Nationalist in nature. Both populations have a rich and fluid history in the region. The Albanians did not kick the Serbs out of Kosovo in WWI or WWII. The Yugoslav kingdom controlled Kosovo in that period, as well as Tito after WWII. Tito was not anti-Serb no matter how you want to put it. He maintained peace by balancing by giving autonomy to a sizable minority within Yugoslavia as he did in Vojvodina.

And the "3rd" is in co-relation to the one initiated  by the Serbian central government under Milosevic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 19:24
Yes the National Park is safe to visit as is the area around Bihac. Beside Mostar, the obvious location would be Sarajevo, Jajce, Banja Luka...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>