Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God or Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God or Allah?
    Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:34
"Lord of the Future" is a great argument for predestination: everything happens because God has already decided
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:52
Isn't this kind of a pointless topic as the first page of the second chapter(the cow according to the copy I have might be wrong I don't know) says that the christian god is the same as the moslem god. So sayin god allah or any other name for any of the three great religions god is essentially the same as any other.

Semper Fidelis
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 00:59
Pointless?

Depends on whether your a Hebrew-Jew, Christian, Muslim.....Arab Christian or any number of other sects who hold the Ancient One dear.....And they have yet to agree in totality. And...therein lies the rub.
Because they dont agree.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:25
So the problems not the term. Its the people using it.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:57
using it and ......defining it....Based on the historical and cultural context in which their theological practices and beliefs were developed..... And is yet continued to this day. With very little modification.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:49
Centrix made an excellent point: everyone worships the same God, but sheer narrow-mindedness prevents them from getting on with each other. If every Christian, Jew and Muslim put aside their differences and helped other adherents of Moses' law, the world would be a much better place
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:52
They all are divided on major parts of their religion and to compromise would deatroy each of their faiths.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:11
Certain irrefutable truths are common to Judaism, Islam and Christianity: there is only one God who must be appeased with prayer; don't kill, rape or steal; there are prophets capable of interpreting God's commands; there is life after death; and the first prophet was Abraham. The only divisions are the subsequent prophets each sect follows, each of whom emphasised certain teachings over others
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 09:40
The main issue in my honest opinion is mutual exclusivity. Most religious groups tend to consider that they uphold the only veritable truth and as a coincidence all the other groups are seen as infidels or heretics who are destined to the hell-fire. Religion should be open to everyone and no one should be able to judge others based on their mutual differences, as great as they could be.

Best case in point would be Judaism. In Judaism, other religious people who don't necessarily follow the Tanakh as they do are not considered as outsiders who can't reach God's mercy and might also have a place in the 'world to come'. Some sects of Judaism have of course, historically, enclosed the religion so as only Hebrews could enter Heaven and follow the commandments. Yet I do not see this as a teaching based on Torah, but rather a later Talmudic addition (sages opinions).

Technically from the Jewish perspective, anyone who adheres to the Noahide Laws and is a good person (Ger Tzedeq) may have a place in the world to come and this would include Christians and Muslims as long as they don't commit idolatry (Avodah Zarah).

The paths may differ but if the goal is one, why so much dispute?
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234