Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most extreme historical events

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most extreme historical events
    Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 13:27
Originally posted by DRAKON

The use of the atomic bomb in Japan.

I absolutely agree. An act done by the "civilized Allies". It just has to be one of the greatest ( if not the greatest ) crimes in world wide history.

"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 18:38
Originally posted by poirot

the mass genocide against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo ...

There was no mass genocide against the Albanians in Kosovo. You were manipulated by western secret services, which deliberately and intentionally via media falsed the reality. Or I rather should say: lied outright.
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 21:59
I have to agree with the WWII statement!
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 02:06

I agree: you can't indiscriminately kill more people in a more brutal manner and in a cheapest way than with a nuclear bomb.

That event has changed our world like nothing else ever did.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 06:03

Discovery  of  writing  by  the Sumers

Birth of  Jesus

Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 04:24
well, the greatest event in human's history should be human being came into existence!!!
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 23:56

WWII and its aftermath:  cold war, creation of Israel etc.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:14
I'd say the invention of a written language because that has been what has made all human progress possible.  Going from a society where the only way to transmit knowledge was by telling it to someone to one where people from far and wide, and across thousands of years can read what you wrote, know what you know, and feel what you feel is without a doubt the biggest event in all of human existence.
Member of IAEA
Fort Brooklyn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Fort Brooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:46

In modern history I'd say...

The assassination of Franz Ferdinand

Sparked a world war, destroyed one nation which sparked enough hatred to begin a second world war. That second world war led to the creation of the most destructive weapon ever and the beginning of the Cold War. During the C.W the creation of a tiny little nation called Israel occured and well...you can figure the rest out.

Edited by Fort Brooklyn
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 07:58
Originally posted by Fort Brooklyn

Sparked a world war, destroyed one nation which sparked enough hatred to begin a second world war. That second world war led to the creation of the most destructive weapon ever and the beginning of the Cold War. During the C.W the creation of a tiny little nation called Israel occured and well...you can figure the rest out.

I'm rather wary of the argument that WW1 inevitably caused WW2.
There was no such inevitability about the second war.

It was Hitler's and Nazi-Germany's deliberate choice to start yet another round of mass slaughter, and although the hate and dreams of revenge that the nationalist forces in Germany felt against Germany's rather harsh treatment in Versailles, contributed to accomodate Hitler's rise to power, it didn't inform the Nazi's motivations for their military agression. The whole fascist Nazi ideology, their insane believe in the Germans' superiority, and in the natural right of the country to dominate or eradicate lesser countries and people, their alleged need to create more space for the development of the "master-race" was, what sparked WW2.
I think one should be more careful when investigating the Nazi's motivations for their numerous barbaric actions.
There are no excuses.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 08:06
70,000 years ago when man almost went extinct.
sovietsniper View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sovietsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 12:39
 The october revoluthion. The first (if short lived) worker-phesent state was created.
victory to russia
Knight
Knight

Quote Fort Brooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Fort Brooklyn

I'm rather wary of the argument that WW1 inevitably caused WW2.
There was no such inevitability about the second war.

It was Hitler's and Nazi-Germany's deliberate choice to start yet another round of mass slaughter, and although the hate and dreams of revenge that the nationalist forces in Germany felt against Germany's rather harsh treatment in Versailles, contributed to accomodate Hitler's rise to power, it didn't inform the Nazi's motivations for their military agression. The whole fascist Nazi ideology, their insane believe in the Germans' superiority, and in the natural right of the country to dominate or eradicate lesser countries and people, their alleged need to create more space for the development of the "master-race" was, what sparked WW2.
I think one should be more careful when investigating the Nazi's motivations for their numerous barbaric actions.
There are no excuses.

Yes, of course the second world war was inevitable. But I'm pretty sure the whole Nazi ideaology came after the first WW. Hitler enlisted in the Barvarian army in 1914 and it is only after the the end of the war did he start to blame everyone else for it. In 1918-1920 is when he started attending political events and eventually the whole thing came to him.

Did he always have it in his head? Most likely. But a German victory in WWI would've kept it inside possibly. The end of WWI is what made Hitler even angrier and by chance found his way to the NSDAP and well the rest is history.

Edited by Fort Brooklyn
Hannibal Barca View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hannibal Barca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 14:51
Originally posted by Maju

I agree: you can't indiscriminately kill more people in a more brutal manner and in a cheapest way than with a nuclear bomb.

That event has changed our world like nothing else ever did.

Oh I'm sorry. DId you say "cheapest?" Really? I didn't know that there was anything considered "cheap" when it comes to war. Were you thinking when you typed that post. Might as well consider Pearl Harbor a shot to the nuts. Japanese deserved it just for being stupid enough to challenge us. WHen your top military commander says that you can;t win then the war is pretty much decided right there.

150,000 casualties or 1,000,000 casualties? 150,000 casualties or 1,000,000 casualites? Think about it for a good long while.

Edited by Hannibal Barca
"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel
Knight
Knight

Quote Fort Brooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 15:18
Originally posted by Hannibal Barca

[

Oh I'm sorry. DId you say "cheapest?" Really? I didn't know that there was anything considered "cheap" when it comes to war. Were you thinking when you typed that post. Might as well consider Pearl Harbor a shot to the nuts. Japanese deserved it just for being stupid enough to challenge us. WHen your top military commander says that you can;t win then the war is pretty much decided right there.

150,000 casualties or 1,000,000 casualties? 150,000 casualties or 1,000,000 casualites? Think about it for a good long while.

I'm goin to have to agree with Hannibal. By usin the bomb not only did we show our superiority to the Japanese(as if our complete destruction of their naval and air forces didn't do already)..but we also saved a good million American lives with that.

I remember I interviewed a friend of my grandmother who was in the Marines in the Pacific theatre. He showed me a prototype layout of the land invasion of Japan and whatnot. Told me they all knew it would've been a dirty fight. If I remember correctly, the Japanese army still had a few million soldiers enlisted.

So from a military viewpoint, it was justified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12