Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoman Empire vs Han China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman Empire vs Han China
    Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:14

"The Han armour consist of 2859 overlapping plates, over 5 kilograms and these iron are created by the blast furnace and cooling that give it a degree of bounce that could deflex missiles,"

Warhead, let me help you something. See the picture on this link

http://ent.tom.com/pic.php?na=17&target_name=chuhanjiaox iong&num=35&title

Though it is just an image from a TV play, but the armor of the general on the right is an interpretation of your statement I quoted above, but it seems like making of copper (Perhaps it is right given the background of the play, which is about the war between Liu Bang and Xiang Yu in 206BC-202BC).  Obviously, the metal plates are overlapping, while in a different way with that of the Romen loria. 

Genghis Khan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:15

"Also please get this into your head, its because of plate armour and high middle age layered chain mail that made cutting less effective, Roman armour are NOT anywhere close to these level."

roman armor was stronger and lighter then chain mail smart one.

It is not sufficient that I succeed--all others must fail.

-- Genghis Khan
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:15
"Neither cutting nor thrusting dominatd the field, don't you even know that? But cutting is easier to use and the very fact that Han SWITCHED FROM thrust to cut has something to say about that. Which part of the word switch don't you understand."

No, I think Thrusting is easier to use. Cutting or overhead hacks makes you vulerable, while if you just hold the shield and keep thrusting, you are well protected.
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:20
Originally posted by Genghis Khan

"Roman sword is wrought iron, Han is carbonated steel there is a wide gap. As already mentioned, even the Qin bronze sword having a hardness of 88 was harder than the Roman iron sword. "

im sorry buddy, but steel wasnt invented until 1856 by Henry Bessemer(also known as the steel man) how about telling the truth in your posts for now on. iron is stronger then bronze.

"No because something called sources proves it was superior."

and ive yet to see you show any proof of what you say is true. i could probly give you a good 5 links on everything i said to prove my answers are true. or you could do some research yourself.

"Which was harder than the Lorica segmentata. How you are able to compare Roman armour with plate armour is beyond me."

i never did compare roman armor to plate armor. europe was starting to enter the mid ages, so thrusting was used instead of hacking.

I can not believe you not even read this person's biography.

In October, 1855, Bessemer took out a patent for his process of rendering cast iron malleable by the introduction of air into the fluid metal to remove carbon. Bessimer's industrial process was similar to a Chinese method to refine iron into steel, developed in the second century BCE. They called this process the "hundred refinings method" since they repeated the process 100 times.

Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:24

"In October, 1855, Bessemer took out a patent for his process of rendering cast iron malleable by the introduction of air into the fluid metal to remove carbon. Bessimer's industrial process was similar to a Chinese method to refine iron into steel, developed in the second century BCE. They called this process the "hundred refinings method" since they repeated the process 100 times."

http://www.worldsteel.org/faq_what.php want me to look up the word invented for you.

-- Genghis Khan
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:26

you have to look up the words I gived to you!

or come here and see!

http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/96jan/bessemer.html

Bessimer's industrial process was similar to a Chinese method to refine iron into steel, developed in the second century BCE

Edited by ChineseManchurian
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:28

"im sorry buddy, but steel wasnt invented until 1856 by Henry Bessemer(also known as the steel man) how about telling the truth in your posts for now on. "

Why don't you learn to read for once. Since I've already posted why your arrant nonsense is false.

"By no later than the end of the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 B.C.), the Chinese developed the technology of the blast furnace. This allowed them to heat the ore above its melting point, and produce cast iron. Among the inventions that made this possible, was the double-action bellows. The manufacture of iron, using a blast furnace to produce a molten metal, greatly expanded production: The process could be continuous, as the molten metal flowed from the reducing furnace, was poured into molds, and made into a large variety of products.
The blast furnace was introduced in Europe, on a wide scale, only in the late 14th Century, almost 2,000 years later. The use of cast iron was, unfortunately, introduced in Europe largely for the production of cannon; Henry VII constructed the first blast furnaces in England. The replacement of the bloom furnace with the blast furnace, increased productivity in the English iron industry 15-fold.
The Chinese were able to manufacture superior tools, that the more primitive European metallurgy was incapable of producing, which led to a substantial advance in productivity throughout the entire economy. As early as the Third Century B.C., the state of Qin appointed government officials to supervise the iron industry, and penalize manufacturers who produced substandard products. The Han Dynasty nationalized all cast-iron manufacture in 119 B.C. Around that time, there were 46 imperial Iron Casting Bureaus throughout the country, with government officials insuring that cast-iron tools were widely available. This included cast-iron plowshares, iron hoes, iron knives, axes, chisels, saws and awls, cast-iron pots, and even toys.

The Chinese also developed methods for the manufacture of steel that were only matched in the West, in the recent period. The characteristics of iron alloys are related to the carbon content. Cast iron generally has a high carbon content, which makes it strong, but brittle. Steel, which is an alloy of iron with a low carbon content, is strong and more durable. The use of steel in agricultural implements was introduced, on a wide scale, during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 A.D.). This led to a further improvement in productivity.

In the Second Century B.C., the Chinese developed what became known in the West as the Bessemer process. They developed a method for converting cast iron into steel, by blowing air on the molten metal, which reduced the carbon content. In 1845, William Kelly brought four Chinese steel experts to Kentucky, and learned this method from them, for which he received an American patent. However, he went bankrupt, and his claims were made over to the German, Bessemer, who had also developed a similar process. "

"iron is stronger then bronze."

Iron is only superior to the bronze of the classical west, the classical Chinese bronze is cast and plated with Chromium which is comparable if not superior to the early wrought iron of the west. (military history of the world, Qin section)

Please, don't correct me with that limited knowledge of yours, your every post just waste my time. 

"and ive yet to see you show any proof of what you say is true. i could probly give you a good 5 links on everything i said to prove my answers are true. or you could do some research yourself."

Then show me the 5 links if their existence can even be verified. You haven't seen any proof for the simple reason that you're ignorant and lazy, I've already showed you my source, its not my problem you're lazy not to look it up.

"i never did compare roman armor to plate armor. europe was starting to enter the mid ages, so thrusting was used instead of hacking."

Thrusting only became common during the high middle ages, and even then both thrusting and cutting dominated. And you are avoiding the quote, which is that Roman armor is much inferior

"roman armor was stronger and lighter then chain mail smart one."

I never said they are weaker Einstein. The fact is they were weaker than the Han cast iron armours.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:30

"No, I think Thrusting is easier to use. Cutting or overhead hacks makes you vulerable, while if you just hold the shield and keep thrusting, you are well protected.
"

I'm not going to argue with personal preferences, but thats one theory for why Han switched from thrusting to cutting, I don't want to get into pointless bickering, but the point is Roman sword is of inferior quality therefore they are short and ineffective.

Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:31

"you have to look up the words I gived to you!

or come here and see!

http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/96jan/bessemer.html"

i hope you know it says BASED on. also its a method, they had the idea but didnt put it to work.

http://eprentice.sdsu.edu/J03OJ/ly/soldiers.htm in here it says most of hans weapons were made of bronze and SOME were iron.

-- Genghis Khan
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:32

"http://www.worldsteel.org/faq_what.php want me to look up the word invented for you."

Why don't you look down or back to page 2 before acting foolish again.

Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:34

"I'm not going to argue with personal preferences, but thats one theory for why Han switched from thrusting to cutting, I don't want to get into pointless bickering, but the point is Roman sword is of inferior quality therefore they are short and ineffective."

the romans didnt even invent the gladius. they adopted and modified it form spain. the romans use big sheilds so they had to have a smaller sword to make it easier to weild.

-- Genghis Khan
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:37
yea, just think about crossbow, figure out how can Rome defeat crossbow.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:38

"i hope you know it says BASED on. also its a method, they had the idea but didnt put it to work."

No, can you read? they put it to work as can be seen from the extensive production of iron. Pay attention, under the Song dynasty, the iron and steel industry reached a level that was spectacular, compared to that in Europe. Between 850 and 1050, iron production increased 12-fold. By 1078, North China was producing more than 114,000 tons of pig iron a year. In 1788, seven hundred years later, England's production of pig iron was around 50,000 tons. So wrong again.

"here it says most of hans weapons were made of bronze and SOME were iron."

Well they do say that impudence is the bastard of ignorance. Bronze weapons are only used during the early part of western han, by the time that the blast furnace were infull use during the time of Wudi(140-87b.c.), the Han was already steel based. And I already said before Chinese bronze of the period was at least equal or even superior to the primitive classical western wrought iron.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:39

t"he romans didnt even invent the gladius. they adopted and modified it form spain. the romans use big sheilds so they had to have a smaller sword to make it easier to weild."

No one said they did.

Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:40

"No one said they did."

my point was there was a reason why they picked that sword.

-- Genghis Khan
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:40
Please, so far your sources are all lousy and baseless, I'm still waiting for your imaginary sites of Roman superiority in which its existence can't even be verified.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:42

"my point was there was a reason why they picked that sword."

Whatever the reason, it was inferior to the Han swords as mentioned in Needham's volume on mettallurgy as well as a bunch of other people in which I'll give you their names tommorow as well as their sources. Who knows maybe even you could get help

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:45
GK, just drop the steel argument. lol. The Chinese weren't even the only ones to manufacture steel. The Arabs did it as well. Anyone could've done it as steel only differs from Iron in carbon percentage, which was nothing so magical. Here's a link that addresses the question of Steel in the Roman Empire: http://www.unc.edu/courses/rometech/public/content/ special/James_Hurst/THE_ROMAN_SWORD_IN_THE_REP.htm

Also, Warhead, your arguement doesn't hold weight until you can give data on how widespread the usage of steel or high quality Iron was.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:52

"The Chinese weren't even the only ones to manufacture steel. The Arabs did it as well. Anyone could've done it as steel only differs from Iron in carbon percentage, which was nothing so magical. Here's a link that addresses the question of Steel in the Roman Empire: http://www.unc.edu/courses/rometech/public/content/ special/James_Hurst/THE_ROMAN_SWORD_IN_THE_REP.htm "

Of course not, steel isn't just about bessemeur, complicated forging also makes steel, which is what the later Europeans did. But China is the only one that use the Beussemer process.

"Also, Warhead, your arguement doesn't hold weight until you can give data on how widespread the usage of steel or high quality Iron was. "

I'll quote from my source when I go to the library tomorrow. The quote there clearly mentions both the superiority in quality and quantity of Han iron, yes it directly compares it to Rome's. And it went further to describe the different political policies and fate of the empires due to this difference.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:54

On the meantime try this book,

Iron and Steel in Ancient China

Donald B. Wagner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>