Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Remembrance Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remembrance Day
    Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:45

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae

This poem written on May 3.1915 by a Canadain Doctor after buring a freind, has come to be synonymous with Remembrance day in Canada. It is one of the only things (that and poppys) that the younger generation knows about the day. The question comes up every year, Why continue to mark the day? Is it just another day off work and school or does it still hold meaning in todays times?   

Edited by Dawn
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 15:43
Still one of the greatest poems I have ever read. It continues to be enduring considering that war still continues to rage, and this poem has never wavered in relevance because of it. And I am proud that Canada continues to remembre Mr. McCrae and other brave soldiers who fought in the war to end all wars.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 15:54
It shouln't be forgotten, but sooner or later it will. In a couple of years no-one who lived in WW1 will be alive any more, so the memory will fade away. We can only hope that there won't be any new wars we'll have to remember.
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:03
I think Canada does the best job at recognizing and appreciating the significance of the first world war. Also, I think that this war defined our country, and helped us fraternalize as a nation.
 Post Reply Post Reply