Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is "TOLERANCE?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is "TOLERANCE?"
    Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 03:31

I AM TOLERANT!

So my culture is absolutely the best, and your culture is only relevant insofar as it relies on my culture for justification. You might think that I sound like a neo-con, but actually, I represent a broad spectrum of American political society, predominantly exhibited on the left (at least as far as being naive goes). In addition to this, while I (in the interests of multi-cultural ideology) am willing to allow that my culture should not infringe on yours, please allow me to append a clarifier:

My culture shall not intrude on yours except to the extent that it is a reflection of "universal" human values/rights. While I do recognize your right to wallow in the mud in search of grubs, I have to chastise you for female circumcision (your practice of removing certain parts of the clitoris).

Please, Lord, save us from the ideological, intolerant left!

So the questions would be as follows:

1) What do you view as tolerance?

2) In the context of the demonstrable hypocrisy of traditional "liberal-globalistic trends of 'multi-culturalism'" do you view yourself as a cultural liberal or a cultural conservative.

3) Finally, do you view the monopoly of the term "tolerance" by individuals who only seek to exploit it according to their own interests (in my opinion the left, as I have effectively demonstrated in other posts; indeed, when have you ever heard a conservative make a mockery of the word tolerant?) as an obscuring factor in a greater understanding of the American political dialogue?

I reserve the right to edit this post, as I am barely hanging on to consciousness by a thread--darn lack of sleep.

PLEASE, please, I beg all of you to read the following:

1) Though I don't view the modern left as the sole manifestation of ignorance, it's portrayal of itself as the arbiter of tolerance is laughable at best, and dangerous to the ideological dialogue at worst.

2) Please, PLEASE remember that we are all biased (a fact more forgotten on the left than on the right). Thus, we are all given to unsubstantiated demonizing, personal, and wholly irrelevant attacks on those who disagree with us. The sooner we all can come to grips with this, the sooner we all can develop a mutual understanding. While self-serving patronization is recognized as historical perspective, however, the goal of mutual understanding is out of reach.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 03:54
I don't think that tolerance exists anywhere.

Conservative places and liberal places are both equally intolerant. Liberal places claim to be tolerant, but in reality they are not tolerant at all to opinions that conflict with theirs.

I will say that liberal places have a better stance on law in my opinion and tend to allow people to live their own lives with minimal interference, but they are still intolerant of dissenting opinions. As far as violence goes...the right and left are the same. There are fascist and racist terrorist groups out there and there are marxist terrorist groups out there. Politcal extremists are all the same, no matter their ideology.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 04:12

I couldn't agree with you more. I think you expanded on my original post, and clarified that which I should've clarified. Aside from agreeing with you, I feel there is nothing left to say .

-Akolouthos

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 04:46

BTW, please, if you have the time, respond to my other thread, which treats my favorite subject--me! Be as brutal as you want, within the bounds of not calling me an ignorant idiotic incontinent. Please, look to threads such as my dispute with Cuauhtemoc over the nature of icons, or my dispute with Dark Age over the nature of bias, as well as many of my other posts to determine why you feel that I suck/rock.

-Akolouthos

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 05:30
One thing is tolerance and another thing is respect. We can demand tolerance for our cultural practices or personal caprices (as long as they don't infringe on any human right) but respect is something that can't be granted: it must be earnt. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 06:10
Nice thread, I'll tolerate it.

Originally posted by Akolouthos

1) What do you view as tolerance?

The will to accept the existence of certain aspects of reality that do not wholly comply with your own view of how it ideally should be.

Now that's a broad definition that should apply in just about any circumstances, don't you all think?

2) In the context of the demonstrable hypocrisy of traditional "liberal-globalistic trends of 'multi-culturalism'" do you view yourself as a cultural liberal or a cultural conservative.

How about a liberal conservative? Meaning I'm conservative when it comes to upholding liberal values, though naturally, it could just as well be turned to mean I'm a cultural conservative. Stuck on semantics again.

Operating with the usual understanding of these terms, I'd claim I'm a liberal, but many liberals would say I'm not because of certain viewpoints, like how I support the death penalty.

Originally posted by Illuminati

Conservative places and liberal places are both equally intolerant. Liberal places claim to be tolerant, but in reality they are not tolerant at all to opinions that conflict with theirs.

True, because tolerance has to stop somewhere. Individual freedom can only extend so far before it reaches pure anarchy.

3) Finally, do you view the monopoly of the term "tolerance" by individuals who only seek to exploit it according to their own interests (in my opinion the left, as I have effectively demonstrated in other posts; indeed, when have you ever heard a conservative make a mockery of the word tolerant?) as an obscuring factor in a greater understanding of the American political dialogue?

American political dialogue? Now that's a contradiction in terms.

Seriously though, the Left has monopolized this term simply because the Right doesn't use it. I mean, what's keeping them from using it? The Left uses the tolerance concept to further its political ideology, yes, and why not, if it works? I think it'll be far easier for the Right to simply assimilate the term into their own rhetoric, rather than making the Left stop using it, whether it obscures the dialogue or not.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 10:19

While I do recognize your right to wallow in the mud in search of grubs, I have to chastise you for female circumcision (your practice of removing certain parts of the clitoris).

Do you think this is a self-contradicting stance?

Have you not heard the saying that one persons rights begin where anothers end?

Wallowing in the mud is your own business, injuring someone else is a violation of their rights.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 13:19
Please, PLEASE remember that we are all biased (a fact more forgotten on the left than on the right). Thus, we are all given to unsubstantiated demonizing, personal, and wholly irrelevant attacks on those who disagree with us.

Akolouthos,

The quote above describes your post and your argument.

After all, you didn't substantiate your claims about the left.

Here is a sampler of your attacks on the left and on people from other cultures:

While I do recognize your right to wallow in the mud in search of grubs,

Please, Lord, save us from the ideological, intolerant left!

Though I don't view the modern left as the sole manifestation of ignorance, it's portrayal of itself as the arbiter of tolerance is laughable at best, and dangerous to the ideological dialogue at worst.

And you live up to your own description of the intolerant behavior:

Please, PLEASE remember that we are all biased (a fact more forgotten on the left than on the right). Thus, we are all given to unsubstantiated demonizing, personal, and wholly irrelevant attacks on those who disagree with us.

Why don't you go ahead and edit all of your unsubstantiated attacks on the left from your post? That way, you will at least live up to your own implicit description of the tolerant right.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 13:29

Tolerance is wrong word, you can tolerate something which is wrong, or somebody who did wrongs.

Respect is more appropriate word. You should respect others life style, what they are doing not wrong, you should not tolerate them but respect.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 14:05

your tolerance can be ignored !this tolerance ,akolouthos style ,is a perfect wrapped intolerance. don't trust anyone who is to generous with tolerance.

mao said : if have to cut the rotten trees , don't take care of some green leaves.

Post Reply Post Reply