Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

English Monarchs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English Monarchs.
    Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:31
Who do you scholars think is the greatest British Monarch? I hope that there are alot of Brits in this forum. Soem choices may include: Elizabeth I, queen during the Spanish Armada Incident, his father Henry VIII and his six knives, or is it Queen Victoria whose face was used to sell products?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 15:32
I'm all for Elizabeth I . This might be of small intrest to you. Medieval English Kings
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 15:38
Thanks alot, eh!! I voted for William the Conquerer, because I think the Norman Conquest had the greatest impact on the evolution of the British State.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:05
Queen Victoria is different from other monarchs because she is seen as less a ruler and more a symbolic representation of British power. Whereas Queen Elizabeth did the most to propell what was previously an insignificant backwards island into great power status. She probably had the greatest impact on British History.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 11:52

In an attempt to create greater interest on this subject I will ask anyone who they think had the greatest impact on British History. Was it Henry's partition from the church, or Elizabeth's defeat of the Spanish Armada. What British monarch had the greatest impact on British history?

capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 10:13

What a loaded question.

William the Conqueror for one.

Henry II, whose claims to land in France eventually resulted in the 100 Years War.

Henry VIII and Elizabeth I founded the modern UK.

William III, whose antipathy towards Louis XIV gave us 125 years of conflict between UK and France which resulted in the Brits coming out as the dominant world power.  He, and Parliment, also gave us the English Bill of Rights (1689 or 1690 IIRC).

Cap
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 17:51
The Tudors probably did the most to solidify England as a naval and dominant power in the world. Am I right to assume that the Tudor's did the most for England's supremacy?
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 04:01

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

Henry VIII and his six knives

I thought he had 8 spoons .

Seriusly, Elizabeth I.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 18:03

Boudica!

no seriously Elizabeth I for me

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 20:14
Edward III (might this be the most random choice so far?) ... but really, even if he wasn't king, he was military leader, so... Cromwell (and his lesser partner Fairfax).
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:46
What about Edward, the longshanks?
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 17:24
Originally posted by Infidel

Which Edwards was this?  I thought he was Edwards III.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:20
Originally posted by capcartoonist

What a loaded question.

William the Conqueror for one.

Henry II, whose claims to land in France eventually resulted in the 100 Years War.

William III, whose antipathy towards Louis XIV gave us 125 years of conflict between UK and France which resulted in the Brits coming out as the dominant world power.  He, and Parliment, also gave us the English Bill of Rights (1689 or 1690 IIRC).

I'd go with that list, except I think Henry VII had more influence than Henry VIII, in that he founded the centralised nation state to end the Wars of the Roses. A bit like the importance of Henri IV to France.

However, neither of them founded the UK. That arose from the pure chance that Elizabeth I died childless and the nearest heir was already King of Scotland - which united the kingdoms into one country. 

(I agree with whoever said you can't count Victoria, since she was a symbol rather than a prime mover.)

mcclane View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mcclane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 08:14
There are no great British Monarchs, only less evil ones. 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 23:40

Originally posted by mcclane

Originally posted by mcclane

Too true,

The only purpose I can think of for the British monarchy is put them in camps and selectively breed them fpor purposes of vivisection.

Cromwell was the best monarch Britain ever had. He wasn't corrupt. he was poorer after ten year in power than he was when he took power, he believed in equality and he turned down the kingship when he was offered it. 

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:15

Henry II's land claims in France (which were quite legitimate) had nothing to do with the Hundred Years War; the Hundred Years War had everything to do with Edward III's land claims in France (also equally legitimate).  
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:18

The modern UK was founded in the reign of Queen Anne, not in the reigns of Henry VIII or Elizabeth I.
Ted Heiks
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:22

William III's antipathy towards Louis XIV was well-justified; after all, he was William III Prince of Orange long before he was William III King of England. After all, Louis XIV had invaded the Netherlands at the time (and Orange was a principality within the Netherlands).   
Ted Heiks
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:28
Originally posted by gcle2003

[QUOTE=capcartoonist] However, neither of them founded the UK. That arose from the pure chance that Elizabeth I died childless and the nearest heir was already King of Scotland - which united the kingdoms into one country. 
The fact that James VI of Scotland became James I of England only resulted in a personal union, not a political union; political union did not come about until the reign of Queen Anne when Parliament passed the Act of Union in 1707.
Ted Heiks
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by J.M.Finegold

Originally posted by Infidel

Which Edwards was this?  I thought he was Edwards III.
Edward I (1272-1307) was the Longshanks, who was famous for his wars against Scotland and Wales; Edward III (1327-1377), his grandson, was famous for his wars against France.

Edited by heikstheo - 08-Apr-2007 at 12:37
Ted Heiks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>