Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Emperor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who is the greatest emperor from the Medes to the Sassians?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
169 [67.87%]
24 [9.64%]
18 [7.23%]
2 [0.80%]
19 [7.63%]
4 [1.61%]
8 [3.21%]
1 [0.40%]
2 [0.80%]
2 [0.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Emperor
    Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:54
Hey if they actually "drowned" persepolis it probably deserved it. Who would take the time in drowning a city unless that city did something really really nasty?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Hey if they actually "drowned" persepolis it probably deserved it. Who would take the time in drowning a city unless that city did something really really nasty?

I can't understand your view. what do you mean by deserving to be drowned ?Question

Edited by sirius99 - 08-Feb-2007 at 17:11
Anfører
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 17:12
Hey the last post said the city was drowned so I am just taking his word for it
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 22:03
The city was actually burned. And he did it because he was drunk, (or so the books say). It doesnt make sense to conquer an empire that big, have a city that magnificent as its capital, and then burn it to the ground. He wasn't damaging anybody but his own empire.

EDIT: I think Top Gun is confused. There is a damn being built in the Fars province of Iran which will form an artificial lake which will cover much (but not the part with Cyrus' tomb) of the ruins of Pasargade (not Persepolis).

Edited by Xshayathiya - 08-Feb-2007 at 22:04
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 23:05
Dariush I the Great gets my vote. But wow, I did not expect so much votes for Cyrus .Shocked

Edited by pekau - 18-Feb-2007 at 23:05

Join us.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 23:39
Why not? He is easily the most respected person in Iranian history among Iranians and non-Iranians alike.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 00:27
Cyrus the Great is considered to be the Father of Persia. Just like Genghis Khan is the Father of the Mongol Nation(Mongolia).
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 11:35
Dariush the first made the empire great, rich, and maintain their land. Cyrus the Great conquered much of it and had a great military mind. But wether he would make the empire stay at a rich, powerful, and invincible point like Dariush did is a mystery
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 13:36
I would have to say Cyrus the Great because without him, there would be no Persian Empire to begin with.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 19:54
Well, he wasn't called 'Cyrus the Ok'...or even 'Cyrus the Pretty Good'.

No, he was Cyrus the Great. Big%20smile
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 17:32
I would say Ahmed Shah Abdali was the greatest ruler of all time...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 03:22
I would agree about Abdali as well if he had planned a proper sucession. Incidentally who was the idiot who appointed Ranjit Singh as Gov of Lahore?
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 15:00
mmm... I not sure if thats true..  can you confirm that(some kinda link) because last time I checked, Abdali made several raids against the bandit Sikhs who would flee on his arrival, and return on his departure.  I know, that possibly, some disgruntled members of the Afghan royal family may have assissted him but I dont think it came from Abdali to have placed him in such an important a lucrative location as Lahore guarding the Eastern border of the Afghan Empire.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 15:37
It was Zaman  Shah who made Ranjit Singh Gov of Lahore in 1799.

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 16:05
wow sparten... thats an awesome link you provided.. who was zaman shah in relation to Abdali  (so.... im partially correct that it wasnt adbali who handed lahore over right?? lol!)

BTW.. i can spend the whole day checking these maps out!Smile
AndronicusRex View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AndronicusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 03:36
Where's Alexander the Great? Big%20smile  He took Darius' titles after he conquered Persia.  He should be the greatest.
Andronicus Rex, Noble of the Republic

http://angryamericanaristocrat.blogspot.com/
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 05:37
Originally posted by Khashayarshah

Dariush the first made the empire great, rich, and maintain their land. Cyrus the Great conquered much of it and had a great military mind. But wether he would make the empire stay at a rich, powerful, and invincible point like Dariush did is a mystery

Thats a very good point. Darius The Great should definately be recognized for refounding the Achaemenid dynasty, reconquering all of the nations that were previously subjigated by Cyrus, as well as adding Cyrene, Thrace, Macedonia, and Southern India to the realm. Most importantly, he reorganized the empire by professionalizing the Persian government. He invented the Aryan alphabet, struck new coins, built royal roads, introduced the Babylonian calender(which is still in use), built large graneries for Persia's armies, which enabled the armies to be extremely large from then on. He built Persepolis and Susa, which replaced Pasargadae as the imperial capital, and a canal was also built in Egypt. His reign is said to have been the Golden Age of Persia, and most scholars agree that had he not reigned, the empire would have callapsed far sooner than it did.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 00:48

"Southern India"

I think you meant *Northern" India

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 19-Oct-2007 at 00:48
What is the officer problem?
Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 21:10
Originally posted by Penelope

Thats a very good point. Darius The Great should definately be recognized for refounding the Achaemenid dynasty, reconquering all of the nations that were previously subjigated by Cyrus, as well as adding Cyrene, Thrace, Macedonia, and Southern India to the realm. Most importantly, he reorganized the empire by professionalizing the Persian government. He invented the Aryan alphabet, struck new coins, built royal roads, introduced the Babylonian calender(which is still in use), built large graneries for Persia's armies, which enabled the armies to be extremely large from then on. He built Persepolis and Susa, which replaced Pasargadae as the imperial capital, and a canal was also built in Egypt. His reign is said to have been the Golden Age of Persia, and most scholars agree that had he not reigned, the empire would have callapsed far sooner than it did.

You're right. Cyrus the Great laid the foundations for the Achaemenid empire but it was Darius the Great who essentially built it. The Achaemenid empire's greatest weakness was its military inferiority to the Greeks. Had the Achaemenid's done more to develop their military tactics, armaments and infantry training in hand-to-hand combat history could have been very different. The organization and structure of the Achaemenid empire was already well in place thanks to Darius the Great. It was just the Achaemenid army which was always behind the better trained and better equipped Greeks.
Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 19:53
I have to say Cyrus the Great was the ultimate emperor though i shud be saying ardeshir...lol!!!
Thinking is the essence of wisdom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>